[Solution] "Cant contact Server" / ISP shaping p2p Traffic

Any problem ? Don't panic! We have the solution !

Moderator: TM-Patrol

TrabTowN
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: TMS,tmn,TMU

[Solution] "Cant contact Server" / ISP shaping p2p Traffic

Post by TrabTowN » 15 Dec 2007 21:02

Hi...

as you all can read in this Thread> click <, ISP(Internet Service Provider) do shape p2p(Peer2Peer) traffic more and more often, you all should be aware that TM is relying on the same p2p protocols to play online...

after my ISP hasn't solved the issue with my shaped connection yet, i searched and tried several ways and came across a very quick and nice solution :)

- to check your connection you may use "Wireshark" and leave it running while you trying to connect to TM...
- if you get a message in wireshark like:
8370 655.962202 destinationAddress YourIPaddress TCP 2350 > 3981 [RST, ACK] Seq=2 Ack=1 Win=5840 Len=0
RST=Reset, that means your isp is resetting the connection(what is a sign for shaping)
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

If you get the same problems as discussed in THIS Thread or you get the RST in wireshark, than try this:

1.) Download "Your Freedom" HERE ( i used "Windows full installer v20071214-01 (DE)" HERE

2.) Setup a "Your Freedom" Account HERE ( only Login, Pass and email needed ;) )

3.) activate your Account with the mail you got send after the registration

4.) start "Your Freedom", go to Properties, use the Assistant to find a good server and fill out the Account details

5.) if "Your Freedom" is running and you are able to connect(green door in system tray), than go to next step, if not check the Settings again or change the server

6.) Download "ProxyCap" HERE (if you preffer a different proxy use another one)

7.) Install "ProxyCap" and start it

8.) go to Preferences and set the following settings:
Proxies

Rules

Hit OK

9.) NOW :) ... if your "Your Freedom" and Your "ProxyCap" are both running than you should be able to "contact" the servers again 8)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

... i hope this little "dirty" guide will help someone...
(on my machine it is running like a charm, even that my connection is still shaped, i play online without any problems)

i wonder if nadeo could implement some shape of traffic encryption in TMUF and TMNF, as i think in future more ISP's will block/shape p2p traffic...

peace
TRAB
:3 :D *very happy to play online again after 4 weeks* :D :3

EDIT
- the alternative to "My Freedom" would be a own proxyserver on a dedicated root server and than tunneling your TM traffic to that
- the alternative to "ProxyCap" would be any other proxy client programm like ProxyWay, HTTP-Tunnel or Google for one

but keep in mind, if your ISP is blocking or shaping any traffic you should switch to another provider and mind, your ISP will allways say that he is not doing anything like that... so its kinda on you to proove it

THIS IS ONLY A TEMPORALY FIX!!!, for a long therm you have to switch your ISP or your ISP is so kind and turns the blocking/ shaping OFF
Last edited by TrabTowN on 26 Feb 2008 13:01, edited 11 times in total.
100²% addicted

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMNF, TMUF
Manialink(s): zooz

Re: [Solution] "Cant contact Server" / ISP shaping p2p Traffic

Post by Zooz » 04 Jan 2008 13:57

NOTE: Only do this if you are absolutely sure it's your ISP's problem. If you have p2p problems, you should first check if your ports are open, firewall isn't blocking anything, etc. Try http://www.canyouseeme.org.

Even then, the best solution is of course switching ISP, because by being subscribed to an ISP that does traffic shaping you only help fund and support this practise of limiting what you can do with your connection, while you still pay the same. This is only a temporary solution until you can switch to a less restrictive ISP, really.

crooms
happy cruiser
happy cruiser
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMUF

Post by crooms » 07 Jan 2008 22:47

i completely agree. Its a very nice workaround, but more and more isp's are doing this. There are plenty of smaller companies around who guarantee no p2p throttling or port blocking and in my experience they are a lot nicer to deal with. Lots of the bigger isp's do not ever mention that they perform these kind of practices, but in general the 'fair use' policy and the 'used for illegal piracy' clause gives them the right to block your p2p completely.

good stuff Trab :1010

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMNF, TMUF
Manialink(s): zooz

Post by Zooz » 08 Jan 2008 16:01

You bunch of criminals probably deserve being throttled and blocked anyway. All p2p users are scum. That'll be €50, please.

TrabTowN
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by TrabTowN » 12 Jan 2008 01:17

Zooz wrote:You bunch of criminals probably deserve being throttled and blocked anyway. All p2p users are scum. That'll be €50, please.
... tztztz... so all players that play tm online are scum now.... tztztz :twisted:

.. no, but i agree whitout those silly moviewarezxxx loaders i could play online normaly... unfortunetly not in every cuntry are small ISP's aviable and if (as in my case) there line is just rented from the bigger one anyway and get shaped much further down the line... that su** ...

btw, still using that workaround..
100²% addicted

ForestJono
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: TMS, TMU

Post by ForestJono » 18 Jan 2008 20:47

Hi,

I've had the same problem for over a week, cannot connect to any online servers on TMU. Very frustrating, as i've been playing online for over a year and all of a sudden can't connect!
Get the error message: " Could not contact server. Connection failed or disconnected from server (10054) "

my ISP is tiscali.
I have tried downloading wireshark as suggested, not sure if i'm doing it right though.
I load wireshark up and nothing happens. Do I need to configure it somehow? It just says "ready to load or capture" in the bottom left corner?

Am I doind somthing wrong?

Thanks in Advance

El Fuego
solid chaser
solid chaser
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TM2 C/S

Post by El Fuego » 22 Jan 2008 11:17

If you're with Tiscali, are you in the UK? If yes, and you're not still in your contract period, get your MAC and migrate to Be unlimited if they are available in your exchange.

I was with Pipex (now part of Tiscali) and their P2P throttling basically broke TMN and TMU in the evenings (and most of the weekend too). Now I'm with Be everything flies along. :D
Cheers!
.FUEY.
Diary Of A Mad Man

Antivirus
highway camper
highway camper

Post by Antivirus » 22 Jan 2008 15:28

TrabTowN I could kiss your arse!! :D

I've been having this same problem for the past couple of months and like you I'm stuck with these moonbeams called UPC (Chorus/NTL) who told me that no one had reported this problem before!!!

Now its working for me too! :D

:1

TrabTowN
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by TrabTowN » 30 Jan 2008 15:33

aargghh.... dmnit... and RE all... was of the forum for a while, to bussy with the new SA site atm...
Antivirus wrote:... like you I'm stuck with these moonbeams called UPC (Chorus/NTL) who told me that no one had reported this problem before!!!....
sorry for my harsh words, but they are such a bunch of lying wasters.... thats unbelievable, when i was talking to them, they said that they had some other costumers with that problem... btw. even that they promissed me they would sort that out, i still have a shaped connection today... i am just so f**king tired to call them and wait for 30min everytime to get someone on the phone... im not shure, but i think i gone talk to some friends that work with rte(irish national television) and ask them if they would be interessted in some little storry about chorus and how they thread costumers, that "backscratching" way of most of the irish economy is getting ridiculous :evil:

i know it has nothing todo with tm, but i just had to say that...
100²% addicted

chicha
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: TMN

Post by chicha » 25 Feb 2008 15:03

Hi! I'm having th same problems too! Can someone please reupload these images posted by TrabTowN! Thanks!

MISI
sunday driver
sunday driver
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMN, TMUF

Post by MISI » 25 Feb 2008 18:02

Here are screens from mine config:

TrabTowN
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by TrabTowN » 26 Feb 2008 13:02

chicha wrote:Can someone please reupload these images posted by TrabTowN! Thanks!
ups :oops: ... changed something on the webspace.. sry... the pics are back in place....

thx MISI for jumpin in
100²% addicted

»Jongo«
sunday driver
sunday driver
Owned TM-games: TMO/S/N/U/F

Post by »Jongo« » 03 Mar 2008 02:42

tiscali have been blocking my p2p ports peak/off peak hours, ha been fine over the past couple of weeks though but I'll give this a try if it ever happens again.. cheers :)
UKFC»Jongo~UK

Mac Matrix
solid chaser
solid chaser
Owned TM-games: TMS, TMN and TMU. :)

Post by Mac Matrix » 14 Mar 2008 11:17

@ screenshot - I think port 8080, not 1080.

__

p2p blocking is absolutely crap, but luckily for me I'm on Orange (formally Wanadoo) and their only drawback is the crap connection speed and stability. My dad's downloading movies (so am I for that matter) almost every day, and I even had to use BitComet to download Trackmania Nation's installer because my download speed is that bad I can't get it done in the time I get online.

I was reading about this on the Orange help-forums last night and it sickened me that they're trying to do this to people that need the ports open for gaming, and there really is nothing you can do except either change ISP or basically threaten to take them to court. Hell, I'm on unlimited download, and apparently I have a 40GB 'fair usage policy' limit. Why didn't they just say I have a 40GB / month download limit? It's crap.

I'm sure there are ways that Nadeo could patch the game to work around this though. I've heard recently that BitTorrent is working on a p2p-encryption so that ISP's can't figure out it's peer-to-peer data and can't block it. Maybe Nadeo could do something similar, too.

I really feel sorry for you guys that are getting this troubke, you really don't deserve it. It's like ISP's are trying to destroy online gaming. =/
System Specs

AMD Phenon 9950 @ 2.85 Ghz
4GB Kingston DDR2 RAM
Gigabyte GA-M750SLI-DS4 mobo
250GB SATA HDD
Gigabyte GTX275 Super Overclock Edition
Logic 3 USB Rumble Pad
Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit

Mac Matrix: Author of the TMN Neon Craze

TrabTowN
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by TrabTowN » 20 Mar 2008 13:51

Mac Matrix wrote:@ screenshot - I think port 8080, not 1080.

... that depends on witch connection you use, for HTTPS its 8080 and socks 4 & 5 is 1080 ... the only thing is if you cant use socks 4 or 5, you cant use udp either... but with socks4 or 5 all is perfect...

btw. i am still using this solution @work and @home.. as @home my isp is still "%£^&%&" ... and i don't have much choice here in IRL ..
100²% addicted