Help, TMNF/TMUF runs much worse than TMN/TMU!

Any problem ? Don't panic! We have the solution !

Moderator: TM-Patrol

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMNF, TMUF
Manialink(s): zooz

Help, TMNF/TMUF runs much worse than TMN/TMU!

Post by Zooz » 16 Apr 2008 22:00

Then you probably have higher settings than before. You can try to look at your old settings and copy those, but since there have been lots of improvements (especially since TMN) that might not be enough.

Try putting your settings to the minimum (how to do this is explained in the Technical FAQ, start the launcher, click Help, then View FAQ) and see how that works. If it runs easily, you can try to raise the settings a bit again until you found the right balance of performance and graphics.

If your game runs slow only on big servers, try setting a visible number of opponents limit under Game in the advanced configuration.

RdV
cyclist
cyclist
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMU

Re: Help, TMNF/TMUF runs much worse than TMN/TMU!

Post by RdV » 17 Apr 2008 14:19

I have no lag in solo mode, or on servers with 10/20 players.. The game loads instantly when I go play those.
But when I go to a server with more then +-80 players (for example Nadeo White) I get much lag -_-
Only the loading screen on starting a track lasts for about 1-2 min :(

I set the graphic settings very low to avoid it on the big servers (normal I play with medium textures), but this doesn't seem to matter much and like I said, on the smaller servers and solo it loads instantly.
I tried turning down the opponent visibility to 4.. But this doesn't make any difference. Is there another way around to do this? (for example the hex edit that was possible with TMN)
specs:
x800 pro 256MB
3.0 Ghz CPU
1.5 GB RAM
Windows XP
This should be enough to at least get it running smoothly on big servers right?

*edit
I dont think it's an internet related problem, my upload is 900KB/s and download is 1.5 MB/s

Absnt
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMNF

Post by Absnt » 17 Apr 2008 15:59

If the lag your talking about is FPS lag then I suggest just hitting "O" to turn off all opponents until there is a fix or a update to do something about it, even on my quad core @ 3ghz with a 8800gt 512 I can't have 10 opponents on screen with out major reduction in FPS, with opponents off it goes back up to acceptable 70-80

Canistel
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: Nations / Forever

Post by Canistel » 17 Apr 2008 20:34

At my pc it runs much worser than TMN,

Not lagging online or something like that. I have 60 fps online. But the BIGGEST problem is, if i want to write a message it is going to hang. Offline in the editor is it very slow, if i press escape everything freeze for about 10 seconds. I have updated my videocard drivers, thats not the problem. It's only with the menu's in the editor and online play... If i am online and i press escape it's also freezing. And its not te specifications, on low 640*480 is it still giving problems. Who can help me to fix this?

In TMN there is no problem at all

RdV
cyclist
cyclist
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMU

Post by RdV » 18 Apr 2008 08:41

I set my graphic settings manually yesterday using the Ati Catalyst Control Center.. And this solved the problem.. Don't know why, don't know how.. But no more lag online.. And the loading times on crowded servers reduced drasticly. But thanks for the replies :)

McBain
cyclist
cyclist

Post by McBain » 18 Apr 2008 13:13

@canistel: i had the same problem. Do you have the logitech G15 keyboard? then try this

Plug out and plug in mouse and keyboard

or look here for other solutions: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14172
Last edited by McBain on 02 May 2008 13:03, edited 1 time in total.
Problems to chat in TMNF/TMUF? This is YOUR thread: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14172

Aseco/Rasp 2: ->ok
Xaseco: ->very nice
Mistralaseco: ->very nice too
T.R.U.C.K.: ->nice
FAST: ->nice
RCP4: ->fast and simple

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMNF, TMUF
Manialink(s): zooz

Post by Zooz » 18 Apr 2008 18:50

Yes, when the slowdowns/problems happen regardless of settings, or seem to have a strange pattern (menus work terribly on low settings while the rest of the game is fine even on high) it must be some background process / driver / hardware / compatibility problem.

Glottis
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: TMUF

Post by Glottis » 19 Apr 2008 21:56

I had major framerate problems in TMUF when playing online but fixed them. After installing TMUF I used the same exact settings as I did in TMU and framerate while playing online was horrid but single player was silky smooth. I spent a lot of time playing around with settings but not much changed.

I then came to this forum and saw someone mentioning PeerToPeer option. I never expected this to cause huge framerate drops in multiplayer but still gave it a shot. Went to PeerToPeer tab in advanced settings and unchecked everything, also cleaned the cache. After doing that I immediately jumped online and OMG the game ran silky smooth once again with very high graphics setting. Yes I can't see other players car skins and avatar pics but that's not a big loss since most of them are annoying anyway.

I hope this is a bug that I'm not the only one experiencing and that it'll be fixed.

Zypher
highway camper
highway camper

Post by Zypher » 21 Apr 2008 14:37

Hi guys, I got another problem with the way through CPs (checkpoints) online in TMNF.

When I ride my car (equal if custom skin or general, equal with view of opponents or not) I got a big lag while driving through it. I tried many ways to find the problem (actualize audio drivers, graphic drivers, switching off audio in config) but it didn't solve the problem. I noticed, that many have this problem, although there are some who have not.
This thing just comes up online. Offline I got a quite smooth run anytime, but you can feel a short cp-shock which doesn't matter much. Online it is quite not drivable.

Do you have any ideas ?

My Sys :

X2 3800+ @ "GHz
2GB 400 DC
8600GTS
6MBit connection
Typhoon accustic6 5.1

Pls help ;)
@TMX
Carpe Diem !

TStarGermany
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMN,TMNF,TMUF
Manialink(s): creative

Post by TStarGermany » 21 Apr 2008 16:16

Zypher wrote:Hi guys, I got another problem with the way through CPs (checkpoints) online in TMNF.

When I ride my car I got a big lag while driving through it. I tried many ways to find the problem (actualize audio drivers, graphic drivers, switching off audio in config) but it didn't solve the problem. I noticed, that many have this problem, although there are some who have not.
word up! this really exists. it happens to me when i pass certain points,such as CP or finish line, then i have a short stuttering
my fps usually reaches from 50-100 when i am online, but that is no use for that sort of "twitching".

RnB
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMSX, TMUF, TM2

Post by RnB » 21 Apr 2008 18:16

Could anyone help me with my topic?
I read all the posts here, but my problem is not already discussed here.

Thanks in advance.

TStarGermany
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMN,TMNF,TMUF
Manialink(s): creative

Post by TStarGermany » 23 Apr 2008 00:02

btw did i already mention that the constant stuttering can be killed completely by turning all p2p options off? i had my network settings put down low anyway, but turning it off = splendid.

Zypher
highway camper
highway camper

Post by Zypher » 23 Apr 2008 08:14

TStarGermany wrote:btw did i already mention that the constant stuttering can be killed completely by turning all p2p options off? i had my network settings put down low anyway, but turning it off = splendid.
I already tried to switch off nearly all network settings except the download (1st mark on that sheet). Didn't help anyway.
I found out, that either TMNF or TMUF doesn't use the multiprocessors completely, one is running @ 100% the second just with 5 or 6%. So I think there is no real multiprocessor support. Maybe this could be the reason ?
I got friends with single cores who don't have this CP/Finish line problem...
These lags are quite annoying (I am not that slow and need a fluity drive for my official tournaments ;) ).
Btw, I got frames between 65-80 online with PC2 and middle textures, so the graphics overload can not be the problem..

EDIT : Problem solved for now : It seems that TMF doesn't save any idle range for process. So, if the prog will calculate the CP and finsih times with rankings, it produces a huge process peak. If the server runs any programms, which uses any opened idle of CPU time, the reaction of the CPU is not fast enough (depends on CPU and system) to calculate this high process in time and you get a lag.
On my example server I asked the host, if there was any idle process running, and it was a BOINC calculator, which used the not needed CPU time. I guess the BOINC was not configured to leave a little idle space for these process peaks of TMF.
Anyway, the process peak of CP and finish times calculation is very huge ! I saw a statistic of this peakin'...so avoid to leave no idle CPU time on single cores while running TMF unix servers ;).
@TMX
Carpe Diem !

bambinoh
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: TMN

Post by bambinoh » 23 Apr 2008 18:39

Canistel wrote:At my pc it runs much worser than TMN,

Not lagging online or something like that. I have 60 fps online. But the BIGGEST problem is, if i want to write a message it is going to hang. Offline in the editor is it very slow, if i press escape everything freeze for about 10 seconds. I have updated my videocard drivers, thats not the problem. It's only with the menu's in the editor and online play... If i am online and i press escape it's also freezing. And its not te specifications, on low 640*480 is it still giving problems. Who can help me to fix this?

In TMN there is no problem at all
I have the same problem on almost every menu :s. The races themselves go fine, but whenever I have to skip the replay to restart, it takes long and everything temporarely freezes. Same happens with some ingame menu's online :(.

It's very annoying and makes the game almost un-playable :P. Has a solution been found yet?

I have a Windows Vista system, Home edition. 3Gig RAM, Nvidea 8400GS 256MB, 2.2Ghz dual-core

driftguy
sunday driver
sunday driver
Owned TM-games: TMO TMNF TMUF X2

Post by driftguy » 23 Apr 2008 21:04

I can`t see shadows in forever i have tried to take the shadows
to full but nothing is working why?
In Normal United did i see shadows.
Its not to play its how to win the game :P