Future problem: "Shortage" of file names for tracks

Any problem ? Don't panic! We have the solution !

Moderator: TM-Patrol

Ferril
road tourist
road tourist
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMN, TM-F

Future problem: "Shortage" of file names for tracks

Post by Ferril » 02 May 2008 12:01

Hi,

I experienced a new kind of problem yesterday that I think will get bigger as more and more maps get made in Forever. Since the colour coding now is removed from the map file name (thank god), it's going to be more and more common that maps are published using non-unique file names. Do you see the problem?

Here's one small example:
One of my maps, BlackJack, was going to get added to a server, but the server op couldn't because there already was a map on the server with the same file name.

Is there an easy solution to this problem, or a work around? The only thing I can come up with is that mappers need to be more creative when it comes to choosing names for their maps.

Ferril :lovetm
Proud ex-clan leder of Original Wheels of Norway (OWN)
http://www.own.no/

Xymph
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMU, TMF, TM²

Re: Future problem: "Shortage" of file names for tracks

Post by Xymph » 02 May 2008 13:53

Ferril wrote:I experienced a new kind of problem yesterday that I think will get bigger as more and more maps get made in Forever. Since the colour coding now is removed from the map file name (thank god), it's going to be more and more common that maps are published using non-unique file names. Do you see the problem?

One of my maps, BlackJack, was going to get added to a server, but the server op couldn't because there already was a map on the server with the same file name.

Is there an easy solution to this problem, or a work around? The only thing I can come up with is that mappers need to be more creative when it comes to choosing names for their maps.
If you add the tracks from TMX via XASECO (with the /add and /admin add commands), it will ensure the new filename becomes unique (by appending its TMX ID) if a file with the same name already exists. Aseco2 does this by simply ignoring the original filename and just using the TMX ID.

If you manually add files, I guess manually adding a unique sequence number will do the job.
Developer of XASECO for TMF/TMN ESWC & XASECO2 for TM²: see XAseco.org
Find your way around the Mania community from the TMN ESWC hub, TMF hub, TM² hub, and SM hub

Racemaniac
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: all
Manialink(s): racemaniac

Post by Racemaniac » 02 May 2008 13:58

Ferril wrote:Hi,

I experienced a new kind of problem yesterday that I think will get bigger as more and more maps get made in Forever. Since the colour coding now is removed from the map file name (thank god), it's going to be more and more common that maps are published using non-unique file names. Do you see the problem?

Ferril :lovetm
well, since the filename is completely independent from what is shown ingame, you can always rename the conflicting files to whatever you want
i also like the solution aseco has when you use it to downlaod tracks from trackmania exchange, it names the file like the number it has on tmx (which i think is unique).
in the end, it's the users responsability to be a bit original, conflicts are impossible to prevent without some huge central database that would be lots of work, and rather annoying for little effect
as much as the trackmanias may rule, carmageddon 1 & 2 are still the best games ever :D

jedimario
sunday driver
sunday driver
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMNF

Post by jedimario » 02 May 2008 16:13

If you want to keep the filenames organized and easy to recognize, you could always put your name in them. Example: blackjack_by_ferril or something like that. I'm pretty sure no one's gonna use your name in his track's filename.