Random locking up [TMUF]

Any problem ? Don't panic! We have the solution !

Moderator: TM-Patrol

loozerr
happy cruiser
happy cruiser
Owned TM-games: TM[O,S,U,2,T]

Random locking up [TMUF]

Post by loozerr » 30 Nov 2009 14:09

So, like some of you know, my PC has been crashing constantly while playing TM. Well, actually whole PC doesn't crash, only TM itself crashes. And in a way that if it isn't in windowed mode, I am unable to terminate the process from Task Manager, because TM stays on top.

This is getting extremely irritating.

It especially happens while using menus/buttons or chatting, but it always happens while racing or making tracks. It is especially fond of crashing when I click "OK" when submitting an official replay or when I click "Overwrite" while saving a track.

I've tried plenty of different graphics settings, including safe mode which made game look hideous and managed to be laggy as well.

This is my configuration:

AMD X2 4200+ S939 (not OC'd)
Asus HD 4670 1024mb
AsRock 939N68PV-GLAN
2gig of memory (2x1024mb, 333mhz)
Slightly broken G15 (I really doubt that the issue is caused by keyboard even if it the generally crashes while using it...)
Asus Xonar DX-xD
Windows XP Pro

Other games run just fine.

Edit: Forgot to mention, it happens both with and without the fix patches.

loozerr
happy cruiser
happy cruiser

Re: Random locking up [TMUF]

Post by loozerr » 30 Nov 2009 22:40

This actually seems to be quite a common issue in my clan, but somehow I've got these freezes all the time while others only got these seldom. There isn't much in common between our setups, apart from the fact that we all play (or attempt to) play the same game. :)

They all seem to be related to rapid keystrokes - like when typing or restarting a track. Navigating the menus make the game crash as well.

loozerr
happy cruiser
happy cruiser

Post by loozerr » 01 Dec 2009 21:34

This crashing makes rally completely unplayable, other environments are still somewhat playable. In rally, each time I type something or surf the menus TM crashes. :(

Ionian
tricycle manager
tricycle manager
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMN

Post by Ionian » 02 Dec 2009 22:46

I've noticed this problem since the star track update - but only in solo mode, online has seemed fine (although I haven't played online very much). Something in the patch must be causing the crashes - I hope it's fixable...

I have been able to run task manager and close TM manually to get out, but it is v frustrating!

loozerr
happy cruiser
happy cruiser

Post by loozerr » 03 Dec 2009 21:22

I've got no problems at all on-line as long as game is in rounds mode so I don't have to press any buttons, just drive... :D

And also, chatting risks a crash as well.

Wolf68k
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMS, TMUF, TMNF

Post by Wolf68k » 03 Dec 2009 22:35

Have you done any of the route stuff like running chkdsk from the command line? Spyware and virus scan? Clean up the registry...CCleaner is great for this. Defragged lately?
Try all of that, I usually do virus scan, spyware scan, CCleaner, chkdsk then lastly defrag.

Might need to clean up the pagefile, or at least it shouldn't hurt.
Start->Control Panel->System->Advanced->Performance->Settings->Advanced->Virtural Memory->Change
Take note of the current settings, write them down.
Select: No pagefile and click the Set button.
Click OK until you're all the way out and restart your computer
Defrag, it's just a good idea to do even if you recently did it.
Go back to the same place as before to change the pagefile setting and re-enter your previous settings.
TM name: wolf68k
Display name: Wolf68k (the 8 is actually white ingame, kinda hard to do here)

Forgotten
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMU

Post by Forgotten » 18 Dec 2009 12:42

I have similar TM crashes since I've started using joystick (Logitech Extreme Digital 3D).

TM often crashes when I do some actions quickly (pressing del right after finishing track; pressing enter right after text is being typed, it's about chat; presing OK or so buttons right after dialog window appeared, in MT for instance).

My PC is: Intel Pentium 4 2 GHz, Radeon 9000 Pro, 512 Mb RAM (2x256).
Win XP SP2, ATI Catalyst 5.x, TM version is 2.11.25 but I had these crashes since beginning of autumn.

I always use fullscreen mode but I can terminate TM process even if task manager is not on the top. Blind process killing powa! :3

Gropapa
highway camper
highway camper

Post by Gropapa » 18 Feb 2010 11:11

loozerr wrote:So, like some of you know, my PC has been crashing constantly while playing TM. Well, actually whole PC doesn't crash, only TM itself crashes. And in a way that if it isn't in windowed mode, I am unable to terminate the process from Task Manager, because TM stays on top.

This is getting extremely irritating.

It especially happens while using menus/buttons or chatting, but it always happens while racing or making tracks. It is especially fond of crashing when I click "OK" when submitting an official replay or when I click "Overwrite" while saving a track.
Same for me ! Did you finally find a solution ?

I've tried :
- game re-installation
- replacing both keyboard and mouse
- removing X-Fi sound card (using motherboard integrated sound chipset)
- unplugging joystick
- playing in safe mode

But those crashes always happen ..... (and they happen without crashlog :cry: )

I've not tried to replace my nvidia graphic card (last chance), but i doubt it will resolve the problem (looking to your configuration).
I point out the fact that this problem only happens with TM, and no other game or software.
My PC is perfectly virus free. Drivers and windows are up to date !

My configuration:
MB : AsRock DualSATA2
Proc : Intel quadcore Q6600
GC : Geforce 8800 GTS 640 mb
Memory : 2x1024mb - 333mhz
Microsoft Keyboard/Mouse
SC : Integrated Realtek chispet

nocturne
solid chaser
solid chaser
Owned TM-games: all

Post by nocturne » 18 Feb 2010 17:16

If a specific game has an issue with running, it's most often a driver issue... Try updating your DX, and try several different versions of your gfx and sound card drivers (make sure sound card driver is hda compliant).

Gropapa
highway camper
highway camper

Post by Gropapa » 28 Feb 2010 18:16

Thx for reply, but unfortunately, i've already tried several driver versions for my GC, and i've updated DX.
But, nothing changed !! :(

nocturne
solid chaser
solid chaser
Owned TM-games: all

Post by nocturne » 01 Mar 2010 20:04

Try fiddling around with the input config inside the tmf launcher, and disabling EAX. Also, how are your temps?

To forgotten, your system is not quite up to spec. A p4, 512mb, and a r9000 shouldn't even be able to play the game.

Also, I notice you guys all seem to still be on WinXP SP2, which is more than five and a half years out of date. You should check to see if you have the KB888111 hotfix installed, and make sure you have the appropriate HDA/non-HDA sound card driver version installed.