TM United Forever Not accepting CD Key on new computer

Any problem ? Don't panic! We have the solution !

Moderator: TM-Patrol

2fast4u_productions
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: tm united forever

TM United Forever Not accepting CD Key on new computer

Post by 2fast4u_productions » 24 Jul 2010 17:47

I purchase TM United in 2008. I now have a new computer. I have a CD key. I put that in after installation. The program next let me log in using my old user name and password, then asks me to enter the user key.

What is the difference between the user key and the CD key?

I have a
CD key XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XX
Star Edition Key XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXX
Serial Number XXXXXXX-XXXXXXX-XXXXXXX-XXXXXXX

In the formats posted above. What gives? Do I have to buy another copy?

fng_thatoneguy
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMNF, TMUF

Re: TM United Forever Not accepting CD Key on new computer

Post by fng_thatoneguy » 26 Jul 2010 10:03

The Serial Number sounds like the digital distribution number. That is only required after installing the original digital distribution (TrackMania United; pre-Forever update.)
After the Forever patch is installed (and while you're in game linking a profile to a key), it should only ask you for the Multiplayer key (which you listed as the CD key or Star Edition key in your post.)

(Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how my mileage has been. Perhaps the newer TrackMania United Forever digital download also requires the Serial Number?)

In either case, when the install prompts you for the key, it should have the boxes for entering in the number in the proper format (like you listed in your post); so that should help you know which one to enter.

If it still doesn't work after that, you'll have to consult someone with higher power than I. :) Good luck.

2fast4u_productions
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by 2fast4u_productions » 27 Jul 2010 16:08

The install has the correct boxes and format for entering the CD key which just happens to be the exact same format for the multiplayer key.

I have used the CD key and multiplayer key in both areas and still get the same message. The key is already in use.

FocusTechSupport
cyclist
cyclist
Owned TM-games: All TrackMania games

Post by FocusTechSupport » 28 Jul 2010 08:50

It seems that there is already a player account linked to your TMU player key.

To retreive the login and the password of your player account, please send your TMU player key at support@tm-united.com

2fast4u_productions
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by 2fast4u_productions » 28 Jul 2010 14:28

I have solved the problem. When you purchase the game, you only have one online account you can use. I had two accounts I used to login and play using the free version. When I bought United, I registered my multiplayer key with one account. I am now forced to use that account whenever I play United.

I don't like that system of play. If I pay for the program and receive a CD key that should be enough to allow me to login and play with different user profiles.

jamie_macdonald
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TMNF, TMS
Manialink(s): ET

Post by jamie_macdonald » 28 Jul 2010 15:08

2fast4u_productions wrote:I don't like that system of play. If I pay for the program and receive a CD key that should be enough to allow me to login and play with different user profiles.
That's pretty much the norm for any game ...At least NAdeo and Focus decided to avoid micropayment and monthly subscription to pay for you server access and support ...

...License systems often have a one user per serial basis, just because this one is hard to circumvent does not make it any worse in principle, i personally have 6 account i paid for, for server accounts, Plus a fair few given to me over the years by people leaving etc ..

You can get copies for around £10 and upward so it's hardly alot to pay per user really eh :thumbsup:

fng_thatoneguy
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Post by fng_thatoneguy » 28 Jul 2010 19:44

jamie_macdonald wrote:
2fast4u_productions wrote:I don't like that system of play. If I pay for the program and receive a CD key that should be enough to allow me to login and play with different user profiles.
That's pretty much the norm for any game ...At least NAdeo and Focus decided to avoid micropayment and monthly subscription to pay for you server access and support ...

...License systems often have a one user per serial basis, just because this one is hard to circumvent does not make it any worse in principle, i personally have 6 account i paid for, for server accounts, Plus a fair few given to me over the years by people leaving etc ..

You can get copies for around £10 and upward so it's hardly alot to pay per user really eh :thumbsup:
Agreed... the only thing I wish would have been done with this game is the ability to buy a serial number by itself (a slightly discounted rate would have been nice too, but not necessary, cause it's worth full price!) either in-game, or through one of the TrackMania websites... buying extra CDs doesn't need to be necessary (I have about 30 of them now... as I snatch them up when they're at seriously discounted prices; and I also paid for 3-4 full-price accounts.)

Anyway, something to think about for TM2... allowing people to just buy multiplayer keys would be awesome.

2fast4u_productions
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by 2fast4u_productions » 29 Jul 2010 16:33

So you are saying the costs is associated with server usage when you are only allowed to have one user profile with each CD purchase?

That would make sense. Never thought of that. Then again, this is the only online game I play.

fng_thatoneguy
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Post by fng_thatoneguy » 29 Jul 2010 17:14

And for one extra step of clarification...
You can have multiple profiles on a computer with one serial number... but only one of them can be tied to the multiplayer key... the rest have to play offline.

The nice thing about this model is that you can play on a friend's computer or multiple computers in your own house, work, etc. and use your same multiplayer key and have the same stats, etc. on all the computers you play on.

Hope that makes sense... I'm not always the best at articulation.