Prevent download of OGG music files

Any problem ? Don't panic! We have the solution !

Moderator: TM-Patrol

Zandro
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator
Owned TM-games: TMU

Prevent download of OGG music files

Post by Zandro » 19 Apr 2011 23:04

As some of you know, AT&T is ready to impose a 150GB bandwidth cap on its DSL subscribers starting May. To reduce my bandwidth consumption and ensure I stay under this cap, I am needing to cut back on some things.

In my opinion, one of the bigger wasters of bandwidth is the vast amount of music I have been forced to download through TM racing servers, which I listen to none of. Consistently over half of my 500MB of cache use is music. I don't need this, as I listen to my personal music collection and low-bandwidth AAC web radio while I race.

Is there anything I can do on the client end to prevent download of this specific format, short of starting a blacklist of URLs on my router?

*EDIT: Some maths:

average size per song: 3 MB
average time on track: 5 min
time running TM / day: 6 hrs
(I'm a moderator, so I sit in.)
6 hours * 60 = 360 minutes
360 minutes / 5 minutes = 72
That's around 72 tracks/day(!)
3 MB * 72 tracks = 216 MB
216 MB/day * 30 days = 6480 MB
6480 MB / 1024 = 6.3 Gigabytes.

Actually, this is not much to worry about after following the math, however I would still like to know if it's possible. For science!

Thanks!

Xymph
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMU, TMF, TM²

Re: Prevent download of OGG music files

Post by Xymph » 20 Apr 2011 20:23

Disable P2P in the TM Launcher's advanced settings. That also cuts out car skins and such though.
Developer of XASECO for TMF/TMN ESWC & XASECO2 for TM²: see XAseco.org
Find your way around the Mania community from the TMN ESWC hub, TMF hub, TM² hub, and SM hub

Zandro
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator

Post by Zandro » 20 Apr 2011 23:17

I appreciate your response, but yikes, those are embellishments I don't ever want to do without. Cartoon characters and Copters were worth every penny.

Is such an option possible to implement in a future update, even if only in the XASECO interface?

Xymph
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMU, TMF, TM²

Post by Xymph » 21 Apr 2011 05:47

Zandro wrote:Is such an option possible to implement in a future update, even if only in the XASECO interface?
Nope, music and other downloads via P2P are controlled by the game client, XAseco and other controllers can only affect the dedicated server. And if the server disables P2P, it affects all players, not just you, so that's a server admin decision. Either way, it wouldn't help your bandwidth problem when you visit multiple servers that don't have P2P disabled.
Developer of XASECO for TMF/TMN ESWC & XASECO2 for TM²: see XAseco.org
Find your way around the Mania community from the TMN ESWC hub, TMF hub, TM² hub, and SM hub

Zandro
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator

Post by Zandro » 21 Apr 2011 09:46

Thanks for the information. I've decided escalate my question via an e-mail to nadeo's contact address and hopefully wait for an uncanned response. There are much harsher transfer caps out there, still topping out at 10 GB for certain residential ISPs. And let's not think of the potential copyright infringements continuously forced upon the users. They may want to consider putting an option in the launcher to ignore ogg/mux downloads for that reason alone.

Zahl
happy cruiser
happy cruiser
Owned TM-games: TM, TMU

Post by Zahl » 23 Apr 2011 08:04

I always had the feeling that if you turn down the music volume to zero (not just a bit above, move the slider all the way to the left) the game wouldn't download any music.
Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 @ 2.7GHz; 4GB RAM Corsair; Gf8800GTS; WinXPSP3; Samsung 223BW

Zandro
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator

Post by Zandro » 24 Apr 2011 07:58

Sadly, that's not the case. My cache says otherwise.

»Enryx«
solid chaser
solid chaser
Owned TM-games: TMF TMWii TM²C/S

Post by »Enryx« » 24 Apr 2011 08:52

I dont know if this really what you're searching for, but...

Get TM Cache Browser/Viewer (from here: http://forum.mania-creative.com/thread-2555.html ), run the file, in the search bar write ".ogg", so all the .ogg files in your cache will be displayed, then delete all of them (or at least only the musics, because you'll probably find also horns and such things).

Hope this somehow helps

Zandro
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator

Post by Zandro » 24 Apr 2011 09:31

Not a bit. Local storage is not the problem. Transfer limitations artificially added by the ISP is. In fact, the primary purpose of this cache is to aid in the scenario I am to be in. Removing its contents would be a bad thing.

Gording
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: TMSX, TMNF, TMUF

Post by Gording » 24 Apr 2011 16:15

I am in complete agreement Zandro. Of course it's a problem of hardware developement/software age.

When TM was new, no one really had the bandwidth or raw speed to either host, or stream compressed music, but as ISP speeds have risen, many game hosts think it's a "cool feature" these days. It could be cool if we had the ability to turn the streams on and off, but we don't. So it's not cool at all, it's being forced on us. :evil:

Like you, I completely turn the music volume down, and can confirm even when you cannot hear the music, the files are still being streamed to your computer's cache, and eating into your monthly download allocation. Deleting OGG/Mux (mux music files are almost useless) files actually does the reverse of what you need.

Cached music files do not need to be downloaded again, but manually deleting them will. You save Hard Drive Storage by deleting them of course, but this will have a reverse effect on your problem. As each music file will need to downloaded again and again and again if you keep deleting them. Some users don't know what a cache is for, so you have to make exceptions for any suggestion of deleting files from it. In fact the only way to limit downloading music streams is to make your game cache much more massive. With hundreds (thousands) of audio tracks in the game's cache, you possibly won't need to be sent them again and a gain and again. So the impact of OGG downloads is more likely to be a single instance.

By the way, 150Gig isn't a hardship really, British "Terrorcom" (they're terrible) start applying ridiculous charges for me whenever I get above 20ish Gig per month. Pointless, and impossible to control music streaming rapidly eats away at my pocket every month. :ftw:

Sadly as mentioned previously the only way to disable music streams, is to disable p2p file sharing completely. But as you already know this breaks car zips (with lots of masssive DDS textures and poorly thought through WAV'es inside), and all other custom content including Vehicles & Skins, avatars, track mods (the worst offender by far), and horns.

Not so funny when you pay for the game to get these positive features, but are lumbered with music as a negative consequence.

Also the hosting server is usualy the same location as the music stream. So if you block one stream (via manual filters in a firewall) you rapidly find you're disconnected from the server. Not good. In fact before anyone suggests blocking an OGG (or it's cousin the "Mux") streaming by manually adding an OGG/Mux filter, that won't work either. Music is caching as a "tmp" file before it finally completes, and becomes streaming audio content with an associated file extension. So that's out too.

Really there's no way for us to manually manage music steams and the blame lies solely with Nadeo (no control to disable specific content other than avatars?!? Come on, WAKE UP!) and the specific host.

We can only hope that TM2 will add controls to switch more features both on/off, so we can control music, car zips, and track texture mods, as we the end users see fit. Too much like common sense of course, so the new game won't have these logical options....just watch.

Ant
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMUF, TM Wii

Post by Ant » 02 May 2011 20:10

To be fair, the best way around this whole problem would be to use an isp that doesn't employ caps - then you can download until your hearts content :)

Zandro
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator

Post by Zandro » 02 May 2011 20:20

Not always an option. Sometimes, the network is state run. In rural areas, you have little choice--possibly satellite, if you want 200ms ping times.

I received confirmation that the e-mail I sent has been forwarded to the 'nadeo team'. Whether that means devs or marketers, it's in there now. Fingers crossed for good luck.

Alter-Fox
sunday driver
sunday driver
Owned TM-games: TMUF TMO TMS

Post by Alter-Fox » 05 May 2011 18:06

You can try going to the P2P menu and just disabling locators. I usually play with locators off because downloading songs and especially mods eats up too much of my CPU power, and besides I usually like the default songs better (disabling locators disables music on tracks with custom music, but at least I can keep the default music in my head).
On many servers I can still download and see avatars and car skins/models (AFAIK servers with P2P enabled use a different method of downloading these smaller files, I think it transfers directly from the client to the server and then to everyone else - I could be wrong about that part). In any case disabling locators prevents the bigger files from downloading (music, mods, and various other things), and it really helped my game to run more smoothly. Of course if the server has P2P disabled I can't see any custom stuff (including avatars, car models, and skins).
Friend and ally to cats of all stripes, whether I like it or not. :)
Check out my original music @ https://vertigofox.bandcamp.com or look for Vertigo Fox on soundcloud and in other places.

tcq
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by tcq » 06 May 2011 05:55

I can understand you to the fullest, because i used to have a bandwidth limitation to 5gb per month a few years ago. This wasn't a problem, because the internet was so slow. But now we had a little increase in the transfer rates and we struggled to keep under 5gb. Nowadays we are unlimited, but the speed is still to slow, so i simply disabled all p2p. But in your case, this isn't a solution, because you want to see the custom skins and such stuff.
But honestly, i don't think that nadeo will change something in TM regarding this matter. But hopefully, TM2 will have the possibility to select what you want to download. :)

Zandro
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator

Post by Zandro » 13 May 2011 17:43

Their reply:
Hello Zandro,

Thank you for your constructive message. There are two parts in it:

1. Copyrights
You wrote: "Alternatively, my other worry is about the copyright status of music I am being forced to download.(...) there appears to be no way for the client to disable this function, other than cripple other features such as custom cars, skins, and avatars" According to this concern, we would advise you to disable all data downloads since music has probably to be threated at the same level as custom cars, for example. Keep in mind that you play on players servers and that we host no data while you are in the multiplayer experience. And since you seem to care more specifically about music, do not hesitate to have a discussion with the hosts about it. We would really like to see players start to use more community made or creative commons musics, in order to promote and even enable some authors to become more known. We are designing system for this in the future even if we can't tell when it will be ready. Type: muxitis in the manialink browser if you are interested to see musics made available by the author for the game.

2. Bandwidth
According to the bandwidth issue, we can imagine that selecting the type of data you would like to download could be an option. I don't have enough expertise to know if the host can do that for you: making an option in the server menu to avoid sending you the data of such size or such type. Maybe you can ask them. If we have to do it on our side, we would have to update the client, which is a big operation. The number of options is always endless.

Both of them are linked to the host of your multiplayer experience. We are trying to provide better tools for them to have the best servers as possible, including your concerns.

And have a nice day!

Nadeo team
I'll put on my robe and my wizard hat, wield a hex editor and do what they decide they can't. How's that for copyright concerns? :roll:
00B707B0 48656C6C6F2C6861636B+ db 'Hello,hack3r!',0
NO U

Kidding aside, I was really interested in this feature being available to those less fortunate than I. They bring up a good point about our flaunting of branded vehicles, but they are an industry that 'tolerates' the benefit of free advertising much more than the usually nasty recording labels, due to the fact that you can't really download a car and drive it around IRL, whereas the binary representation of music itself is the product, no matter how much abuse it has received from the transcoders.

Xymph, you being a current dev of XASECO, I'd love to know what is preventing the server music from being controlled as individual preference. In saying that he doesn't have the expertise, it would seem to be, assuming that who replied to me had properly deliberated with actual developers, that it's an option that will have to be provided on your platform, as they are too stringent for the 'endless options' apparently asked of them to incorporate into their software.