Playing TM with a handmade steering wheel?

Any problem ? Don't panic! We have the solution !

Moderator: TM-Patrol

Renneboog
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: TMU
Manialink(s): none

Playing TM with a handmade steering wheel?

Post by Renneboog » 03 May 2011 06:43

When it comes to racing games I only play Codemasters F1 2010 (before that is was Grand Prix 4). Now I stumbled upon Trackmania and this forum.
My question is - because I heard rumours that TM-fanatics play the game only with a keyboard - if you can play TM with a steering wheel?

Image Image

I have a Logitech G27, but changed the steering wheel by a handmade F1 steering wheel from Zeljko Roso (click YouTube link to see a video of the steering wheel in action).

Slig
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: ALL

Re: Playing TM with a handmade steering wheel?

Post by Slig » 03 May 2011 07:38

Here you have the results of a poll on tm-actu : http://www.tm-actu.com/news-668-gaming-devices-on-tm

jamie_macdonald
speed demon
speed demon
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TMNF, TMS
Manialink(s): ET

Post by jamie_macdonald » 03 May 2011 10:11

Most proffesional players use a Wheel or Joystick ...Some use PAD of course but they are very twitchy and harder to be smoothe with (require more stable hands)

I myself use Joystick (Logi x-Treme 3d) and it took a long while to get used to, but now i think i am faster than i used to be ...i would say good ...but y'know there are some very talented people out there to compare :D

:thumbsup:

Zandro
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator
Owned TM-games: TMU

Post by Zandro » 03 May 2011 23:56

I use an XB360 controller, left-handed with a glitchy thumb on the left stick, and it feels much better than a keyboard IMO. My hindrance to professional level is an inherent inability to after 1.5 years, but generally I am able to maintain a top5 position among 30+ other people in short track servers.

I imagine a steering wheel's response would be much smoother than a thumbstick, but the immediate response the clack of a stick provides, akin to the binary input of keyboards, is beneficial on some tracks.

Trackmania's physics are more cartoony than that of some Codemasters games (I loved 1NSANE). Some glitches in the blocked components of the tracks become apparent, and exploitable. Its simplicity really lends itself to be mastered on a mathematical level. The dirt roads help to give it a more organic feel though, perhaps more than an F1 car driver would be used to.

Racemaniac
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: all
Manialink(s): racemaniac

Post by Racemaniac » 05 May 2011 22:01

i think trackmania is a bit too high paced to be played with a steering wheel.
some tracks you just have to change direction so quickly to be fast that i don't think a steering wheel would be a wise choice. Or you would have to set the sensitivity very high ^^
ofcourse, it depends on the environment. For coast, a steeringwheel is probably the best controller :D.
as much as the trackmanias may rule, carmageddon 1 & 2 are still the best games ever :D

tcq
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by tcq » 06 May 2011 05:49

Racemaniac wrote:i think trackmania is a bit too high paced to be played with a steering wheel.
some tracks you just have to change direction so quickly to be fast that i don't think a steering wheel would be a wise choice. Or you would have to set the sensitivity very high ^^
ofcourse, it depends on the environment. For coast, a steeringwheel is probably the best controller :D.
The best rally drivers are all playing with a wheel (BC, Figos, Oxyde, Devil, Feanor, Meister and and and). Furthermore, it is also pretty useful on island maps (the faster the map, the better) or even on tech maps (but you need to adjust the sensitivity depending on they map style). Overall, you can say that the wheel has it's place in TM. You'll need some training to get it used on all environments, but it is possible as many good players have shown till now.

jamie_macdonald wrote:Most proffesional players use a Wheel or Joystick ...Some use PAD of course but they are very twitchy and harder to be smoothe with (require more stable hands)

I myself use Joystick (Logi x-Treme 3d) and it took a long while to get used to, but now i think i am faster than i used to be ...i would say good ...but y'know there are some very talented people out there to compare :D

:thumbsup:
Don't worry, you are fast enough now to pown me regulary ^^

jamie_macdonald
speed demon
speed demon
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TMNF, TMS
Manialink(s): ET

Post by jamie_macdonald » 06 May 2011 18:41

Hehe, thx tc :) ...I hope i can use that on Sunday ...that's one hell of an group we have for the FET semifinals :thumbsup: