Upgraded to united star edition, having freeze issues

Any problem ? Don't panic! We have the solution !

Moderator: TM-Patrol

danyo1301
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMUF

Upgraded to united star edition, having freeze issues

Post by danyo1301 » 18 May 2011 16:15

So I upgraded from normal nations to tmuf star edition, and when I tried driving on the server I mostly drive on with friends, I noticed that my screen sometimes would freeze for ~3-5 seconds for no apparantly reason.

It does it on all graphic settings ( On the highest settings with 16 AA I bench at 103 fps )

So I have no idea what it could be caused by, I tried looking around for a bit, I tried turning off peertopeer amongst other things, but to no avail, nothing seems to stop the freezes.

This is rather annoying since I upgraded to not have to skip a match every 5 races, but now I freeze every game -.-'

My full pc speccs are:

windows 7 64 bit home edition
Intel 950 3.07Ghz
geforce gtx 570
6 gb ram

I've also gotten the latest video drivers etc, but I don't think that's where the problem lies, since all I did was upgrade, and then the freezes started happening.

Thanks in advance!

Edit.: I also don't think it happens on any particular environment, I've tried several races and they all had it ( it even happened once during the benchmark... << )

Another edit: It also happens on single player.

after some more testing, it appears the processor useage for TM drops to 00 when the spike happens

danyo1301
pedestrian
pedestrian

Re: Upgraded to united star edition, having freeze issues

Post by danyo1301 » 26 May 2011 15:49

Well, I'm still having these issues...

I've tried playing without internet connection, I tried running it on all possible settings, I tried reinstalling it, I tried to run in compability modes, I tried every possible nvidia settings.

I really don't know where the problem lies.

I downloaded the free version again and it works perfectly fine then, but the payed version still gives those freezes, and I have no idea why.

Is there really no one that has any idea whatsoever?

Ant
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMUF, TM Wii

Post by Ant » 26 May 2011 20:22

Are there any other TM versions installed on your system when you try to play TMUF? If there are, try uninstalling them and running the game again to see if that makes a difference.

Normally that shouldn't really matter, but your situation isn't normal. Other than this and what you've already tried, I can't think of much else you can try so hopefully someone else might have some ideas.

danyo1301
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by danyo1301 » 26 May 2011 22:41

There are no other TM's installed, I've made sure to do a thorough "delete everything related to TM" before installing tmuf.

I just noticed I never mentioned I got it on steam, but I also tried turning off all the steam in game overlay etc, I would try to run it outside steam, but sadly I couldn't find a way to download it with the cd-key to run it stand alone instead of through steam.

Alter-Fox
sunday driver
sunday driver
Owned TM-games: TMUF TMO TMS

Post by Alter-Fox » 27 May 2011 14:12

I had a similar problem after upgrading to TMS Extreme (and TMO Original) on the old Windows XP machine that used to be in my house. I suspect TMUF (using the same engine) would have had the same problem on that computer but the computer died before I got TMUF so I couldn't try that for sure.
However on my laptop now TMUF runs perfectly.
The only real differences between the the old PC and the new laptop are Windows XP vs Windows Vista (sigh), and the soundcard (the old PC had a Creative Audigy 4 soundcard that I bought a long time ago.... the laptop just has a crappy microsoft chip. It sounds wierd that the problem would be the soundcard but... anything's possible.
What soundcard do you have?
Friend and ally to cats of all stripes, whether I like it or not. :)
Check out my original music @ https://vertigofox.bandcamp.com or look for Vertigo Fox on soundcloud and in other places.

danyo1301
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by danyo1301 » 27 May 2011 14:17

I don't have a real soundcard, but I'm using logitech g35 drivers.

I haven't tried to turn it off yet while playing, I'll do that now and see if it changes anything.

edit: Unplugged it and turned off the drivers, but it still happened :<

Alter-Fox
sunday driver
sunday driver
Owned TM-games: TMUF TMO TMS

Post by Alter-Fox » 27 May 2011 15:01

I'll try to think of something else...
Friend and ally to cats of all stripes, whether I like it or not. :)
Check out my original music @ https://vertigofox.bandcamp.com or look for Vertigo Fox on soundcloud and in other places.

danyo1301
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by danyo1301 » 27 May 2011 15:17

Thanks, I was just trying some more things out, and I found something that might be part of the problem.

Everytime I verify the game cache it finds 1 file that's faulty, when i redownload it, I get a directx 9.0 initialization failed error saying D3DERR_devicelost. It starts up 2 tmuf's but both work normally ( besides the freezing that is ). But when I recheck the cache, it finds the same faulty file, and it repeats itself.

danyo1301
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by danyo1301 » 27 May 2011 23:17

I've found out exactly what's causing the issue, since I've been able to play without the freezes, when I boot it up on steam, each time I get the steam winslave something first time update, when I click no, it works without freezing, I'm not sure how to get rid of it ( i've previously deleted that file to see if that works, but it didn't )

danyo1301
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by danyo1301 » 29 May 2011 18:03

Aaaand that doesn't seem to work today anymore... really starting to get annoyed now :<

danyo1301
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by danyo1301 » 01 Jun 2011 22:01

So I figured out it also causes the freezing when steam isn't running. Still having the freezes, still no one with any idea? :s

danyo1301
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by danyo1301 » 14 Jun 2011 21:40

I think I'll try to get my money back from steam... No response from the customer service, and can't seem to fix the problem nor does any of the support forums seem to answer or try to help ( At least some normal users tried to help... ). I'd rather have freezone then being unable to finish a single lap without freezing once.