How to join your own server via online mode

Any problem ? Don't panic! We have the solution !

Moderator: TM-Patrol

ArctificiaL
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMNF, TMUF

How to join your own server via online mode

Post by ArctificiaL » 14 Oct 2011 01:49

I know most of you would say join it via LAN. But since it does not show ranks, points earned and so, i really want to join it via online mode. I don't care about ranks or points but i just really want to see them.

I know it is possible, and i have done it before. So I ask you kindly please don't post messages regarding this.

I just want to know what should be done and what do i require to do that. I searched heavily and i barely find the information that the modem might need to support NAT loopback option. But i'm not sure if that's exact right thing required. (I have reasons to suspect so, because i used three modems since now and maybe when i did it, the modem i used was the one supported that?)

My current modem is Zyxel P-660W-T1 v3. I haven't seem to find anything might be related to "NAT loopback" in NAT options on my modem's page.

Thanks in advance!

djarrett
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: TMO,TMS,TMN,TMU,TMUF

Re: How to join your own server via online mode

Post by djarrett » 14 Oct 2011 02:19

ArctificiaL wrote:I know most of you would say join it via LAN. But since it does not show ranks, points earned and so, i really want to join it via online mode. I don't care about ranks or points but i just really want to see them.

I know it is possible, and i have done it before. So I ask you kindly please don't post messages regarding this.

I just want to know what should be done and what do i require to do that. I searched heavily and i barely find the information that the modem might need to support NAT loopback option. But i'm not sure if that's exact right thing required. (I have reasons to suspect so, because i used three modems since now and maybe when i did it, the modem i used was the one supported that?)

My current modem is Zyxel P-660W-T1 v3. I haven't seem to find anything might be related to "NAT loopback" in NAT options on my modem's page.

Thanks in advance!

Code: Select all

Mistral wrote:
I wrote it in the other thread and ill write it here again ...

IF your server is running on another machine in your LAN ... Add the external address as second ip to the server and add a static host route to this machine to your TMN-Game-Machine and it will work...

you need some knowledge about routing and IP, but this issue is easy to solve.

OK so for any IP beginner who hasnt really got a scooby the means.......
On the server..
Goto control panel - network connections - local area connection - properties
select internet protocol and click properties
ensure it says use following ip address and complete the boxes eg 192.168.1.96 - 255.255.255.0- 192.168.1.254
select advanced
under IPaddess click add and enter your external ip address (this can be found on your router under connection
status) eg 192.168.1.254 - 255.255.255.0 hopefully you will have a static IP address... otherwise
you will have to do this each time you start reboot your router and adjust for your new IP.
click apply ok ok ok etc

On the Game Machine
goto Start - Run
Type: Command
Type: route print
Adjusting for your connections type
route add 192.168.1.254 mask 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.20 IF 2 -p
where 192.168.1.254 is your external IP
192.168.1.96 is the local IP of your server machine
2 is the interface ID of the LAN as its listed from print route
-p makes this change permanent until deleted using route delete 192.168.1.254 otherwise it will be
lost when you reboot

Now that should work and you should connect in perfectly.

That took me 2 minutes and just saved some people about 12 hours.......... It's always worth spelling things out if your answering posts :) even if you think its easy and know what your talking about.

ArctificiaL
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMNF, TMUF

Post by ArctificiaL » 14 Oct 2011 02:38

I don't have a static IP. And I'm using the same PC for both. But i did this using the same machine before. I don't recall i used my external IP.

El Fuego
solid chaser
solid chaser
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TM2 C/S

Post by El Fuego » 26 Oct 2011 15:14

Does your router support NAT Loopback? That's essentially what you need. And probably create firewall rules to route inbound traffic on the appropriate ports (can't remember their numbers - 2350 and 3450?) to the LAN IP of the PC running the server.
Cheers!
.FUEY.
Diary Of A Mad Man

Ant
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMUF, TM Wii

Post by Ant » 26 Oct 2011 15:49

You can also try this:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16470&start=15#p122822
or something similar.