TM2 - Fullscreen has no HD resolutions (windowed does)

Any problem ? Don't panic! We have the solution !

Moderator: TM-Patrol

Zombie
highway camper
highway camper

TM2 - Fullscreen has no HD resolutions (windowed does)

Post by Zombie » 14 Nov 2011 17:10

I cannot play in High Def in full screen, the HD resolutions are only available in the TM2 menu if I select windowed mode!

640 x 480
720 x 480
848 x 480
are the only resolution options if I select Full Screen.

I only have the 3 low resolutions shown above available in Fullscreen mode when connected through DVI/HDMI. Checking the "High definition" box in TM2 settings seems to do nothing. My desktop and everything else run at 1280 x 720 @ 60 Hz. If I select Windowed mode, then 720p and even higher resolutions are available to select, but not in fullscreen. Why? Also when I was connected with only S-Video I had higher definition options in Full screen. Where does TM2 get the list of resolutions it shows as options?

Windows XP SP3 (fresh install this week, everything else works flawlessly & at 1280x720)
ATI/AMD 4850 Sapphire Radeon w/ latest ccc & drivers, resolution set to 1280x720
DVI out to HDMI in on a Toshiba 720p DLP HDTV

How do I get the resolutions I know my PC is capable of to be available in TM2 options? I want to play in fullscreen @ 720p!

Thank you!

Ant
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMUF, TM Wii

Re: TM2 - Fullscreen has no HD resolutions (windowed does)

Post by Ant » 14 Nov 2011 18:59

First of all this suggestion isn't very technical so sorry for that, but have you tried it in windowed mode and then drag the window to fit the screen? (obviously not the optimal solution, but it might get you along for now until you find the proper solution)

Zombie
highway camper
highway camper

Post by Zombie » 14 Nov 2011 23:02

thanks for the suggestion, Ant. that's how i'm playing now actually. in windowed mode it allows me to select 1280x720 so i don't even need to stretch it. it basically covers the screen.

it puzzles me why that same resolution is not available when I tick the "Fullscreen" box, as windowed mode is not optimal for me, as you stated! i also just tried un & reinstalling Canyon and there is no difference :/

Zombie
highway camper
highway camper

Post by Zombie » 16 Nov 2011 14:18

does anyone know how the game "decides" what resolutions to present as options in the configuration menu?

is there a way to add a "custom" resolution maybe as a work around? i seem to remember you could edit a file in the older TM games, but i might be wrong.

thanks!

Electron
cyclist
cyclist
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TM2
Manialink(s): GbxDump

Post by Electron » 16 Nov 2011 17:53

The game indicate only the resolutions that the graphics card driver just provides.

<suppose>After switch to fullscreen mode the gfx driver switches from PC mode to HD/SD TV mode because your display reports a TV device to the driver.
Look out for a setting on your display to always report as PC device or for a setting in the drivers control center to always use the PC resolutions.</suppose>

Zombie
highway camper
highway camper

Post by Zombie » 16 Nov 2011 22:22

ok electron, thanks. i know my tv does not have a setting like that but i'll check through the driver settings again & report back. do you know if TM will instantly recognize new resolutions, if they became available by changing driver settings, or do i have to run the setup again? the first time it launched i remember it did a mandatory video card check & i don't see how to prompt it to re-check, if that made sense.

thanks again