Why allow online play with old client versions like 2.11.11?

Any problem ? Don't panic! We have the solution !

Moderator: TM-Patrol

nia-nia
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMUF_SE

Why allow online play with old client versions like 2.11.11?

Post by nia-nia » 09 Dec 2011 00:47

Dear Nadeo people and Community,

I am renting a server, i have lots of happy people visiting, and i put a lot of effort in trying to have a really good server. One thing i dislike, is having random kids use hack programs and distort my statistics/records etc. As far as i know, lots of these programs don't work on the latest client versions, yet nadeo allows people with old versions to connect and play as if these updates are "optional", and not a real requirement.

As soon as i changed the minimum client-version requirement of my server to one of the last versions (not even the latest), half the people complained that they cannot enter my server, because they need the update. Why release updates (that also fix hacks) and not make them compulsory for online play, like most other reputable games?

Am i missing something here?
Thank you for your help in advance,
George

nia-nia
pedestrian
pedestrian

Re: Why allow online play with old client versions like 2.11

Post by nia-nia » 11 Dec 2011 17:29

Please, could someone explain this to me, is there a specific reason?

svens
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TMS, TMO

Post by svens » 11 Dec 2011 21:41

I guess the only "reason" is that the head developer doesn't like enforced updates. You'll probably find your answer somewhere in this forum.

nia-nia
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by nia-nia » 12 Dec 2011 10:10

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to get an official answer too though please. This issue is something that makes absolutely no sense to me, and since i am dealing with it every day, it makes me really interested to find out the reasons for it.