DDS / BIK preparations and limitations?

Any problem ? Don't panic! We have the solution !

Moderator: TM-Patrol

TStarGermany
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMN,TMNF,TMUF
Manialink(s): creative

DDS / BIK preparations and limitations?

Post by TStarGermany » 05 Oct 2006 16:18

i got 2 issues

1) i'm trying to use a BIK animation in my intro. i converted a nice small GIF ani into a BIK file (with bink&smacker) and the mediatracker accepted it. Then I tried to convert+use a GIF animation with a transparency in it but MT only showed my the 1st frame and wrong colors. And now it won't accept animations anymore which have no transparency in them.. something is f*cked up? the MT loads the new files off my webspace, so the file is always up to date but somehow the mediatracker can't handle BIKs as "images" in the mediatracker correctly...

can anyone support me on that?

2) the size of DDS files is not satisfying (i'm using DDS-converter 2).. for a 256x256 pic it will be about 60-80kb,depending if i chose the "insert mipmap" option or not... is there a way to optimise this?

thx for your answers

Crusard

Post by Crusard » 05 Oct 2006 23:05

1) You can't use .bik animations as Mediatracker images. Biks are only good for signs :S

2) What do you mean by Optimise? If you mean decreasing the kb size then there's no way to do that with DDS'.

TStarGermany
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMN,TMNF,TMUF
Manialink(s): creative

Post by TStarGermany » 05 Oct 2006 23:55

i tried a little more and it really seem that tmn can't handle bik animations as pictures, only as stupid signs :ß

well yes, i read this about dds
Without alpha (DXT1 compression), 4 bits per pixel are needed, with alpha (DXT3, DXT5), 8 bits per pixel are needed. That is before any zip compression, though; the gross file size of a DDS file can rival those of PNG and JPG files.
i thought there would be some options for more compression or so :ß