TMU: Windows Vista Ultimate 64-Bit. Will it work?

Any problem ? Don't panic! We have the solution !

Moderator: TM-Patrol

XiXiDu
happy cruiser
happy cruiser
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMU

TMU: Windows Vista Ultimate 64-Bit. Will it work?

Post by XiXiDu » 01 Feb 2007 15:32

Hi!

I was going to buy a new PC including Windows Vista Ultimate. My question is, will Trackmania United work with the 64-Bit version? Generally I'm not sure about 32-Bit software compatibility but I additionally also heard about StarForce not working on 64-Bit environment.

If anyone could assure me that it will work or not, that would be cool. Maybe someone even has first hand experience here.

Thanks!

Mac Matrix
solid chaser
solid chaser
Owned TM-games: TMS, TMN and TMU. :)

Re: TMU: Windows Vista Ultimate 64-Bit. Will it work?

Post by Mac Matrix » 01 Feb 2007 16:55

XiXiDu wrote:Hi!

I was going to buy a new PC including Windows Vista Ultimate. My question is, will Trackmania United work with the 64-Bit version? Generally I'm not sure about 32-Bit software compatibility but I additionally also heard about StarForce not working on 64-Bit environment.

If anyone could assure me that it will work or not, that would be cool. Maybe someone even has first hand experience here.

Thanks!
What I fully suggest to you is you check the various topics in the TMN ESWC forum and maybe some in the TMU forum itself, because a lot of people have bought Vista and installed TM games on it.

To answer your question - yes, But as I just said it's not as easy as just installing the game, you need to also install a StarForce driver patch or something, and also some other software and certain things besides that.

If you feel you don't want the hassle I suggest not installing TMU on it. I do suggest you check the threads on Vista 64-Bit, though, just in case.

edit

I apologise a little but I seemed to refer to information on TMN here... ><; You should check the TMU forum about it... I don't have TMU myself, and nor do I have Vista.
System Specs

AMD Phenon 9950 @ 2.85 Ghz
4GB Kingston DDR2 RAM
Gigabyte GA-M750SLI-DS4 mobo
250GB SATA HDD
Gigabyte GTX275 Super Overclock Edition
Logic 3 USB Rumble Pad
Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit

Mac Matrix: Author of the TMN Neon Craze

XiXiDu
happy cruiser
happy cruiser
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMU

Post by XiXiDu » 01 Feb 2007 17:16

I figured 32-Bit applications should work on a 64-Bit environment. Hope that's right.
A change from a 32-bit to a 64-bit architecture is a fundamental alteration, as most operating systems must be extensively modified to take advantage of the new architecture. Other software must also be ported to use the new capabilities; older software is usually supported through either a hardware compatibility mode (in which the new processors support the older 32-bit version of the instruction set as well as the 64-bit version), through software emulation, or by the actual implementation of a 32-bit processor core within the 64-bit processor die (as with the Itanium processors from Intel, which include an x86 processor core to run 32-bit x86 applications). The operating systems for those 64-bit architectures generally support both 32-bit and 64-bit applications
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit#32_vs_64_bit

About StarForce:

http://www.star-force.com/protection.phtml?c=83&id=1036
StarForce passed "CERTIFIED FOR MICROSOFT WINDOWS VISTA" tests.

http://www.star-force.com/protection.phtml?c=83&id=586
StarForce copy protection to support the x64 bit user community

otmb;ripbox
swift roadking
swift roadking
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMO, TMS

Post by otmb;ripbox » 01 Feb 2007 18:25

i have TMU working no problems on XP 64 however i do not know about vista 64
however i dont think you will have many problems getting it to work on vista
* Core 2 Quad Q6600
* Abit IN9 32 MAX Motherboard
* 8 GB OCZ 4GB PC2-6400 nVIDIA SLI-Ready Edition (4X2GB)
* AMP! GeForce GTX 260² 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 x 1
* 150GB Raptor HDD
* 500GB Caviar HDD
* Vista Ultimate x64
* Thermaltake W0133RB 1200W PSU

stoneman
highway camper
highway camper

VISTA on Alienware 64 system does not work

Post by stoneman » 10 Feb 2007 14:23

I upgraded to Vista with a very fast machine and plentiful resources. TM does not work on Vista 64 even after installing all updates and specifically updating the starfoce drivers. Beware. It will not start at all.

Any help from the authors or programmers? Patch coming? We hope and thanks!

stoneman
highway camper
highway camper

Post by stoneman » 10 Feb 2007 14:23

I upgraded to Vista with a very fast machine and plentiful resources. TM does not work on Vista 64 even after installing all updates and specifically updating the starfoce drivers. Beware. It will not start at all.

stoneman
highway camper
highway camper

Post by stoneman » 10 Feb 2007 14:26

Travis182
highway camper
highway camper

no...

Post by Travis182 » 12 Feb 2007 16:23

I have to post a correction to the user above me, TrackMania United DOES run on Windows Vista. I have Vista Home Premium 64 and have it installed and it works. The only problem I have is that the game does not have access to the folder in which it saves files, but other than that, you can still play the game fine. I'm just looking for a solution to that problem.