We Need Multiple Online Profiles In TMU!

Any problem ? Don't panic! We have the solution !

Moderator: TM-Patrol

fulles
highway camper
highway camper

We Need Multiple Online Profiles In TMU!

Post by fulles » 22 Jun 2007 09:22

IMHO only allowing 1 online profile per copy of TMU is a serious flaw in the design of this game.

Without online play, this game would not have a tenth of the appeal that it does, so most people buying this game do so for the online experience. However, I (like many others) share a computer with other family members and I now find that I have unlocked several levels and posted times on multiple tracks in my absence. As you can appreciate, this totally ruins my online profile (as I also ruin my son's online stats when I play online).

This would never happen with other games. Imagine having the same issue with HL2 or Tomb Raider. I would come home from work to find that several levels had been completed by my son during the day, meaning that I would miss having the experience of playing most of the levels.

Presumably the reason for this is so that gamers that have cracked versions of the game cannot go online as their key will already have been used. However, I think that it is unfair on those of us that have paid for the game. Why couldn't the developers allow multiple online profiles for a given player key, but only allow 1 profile per player key to be logged on any any time? That would stop the people who download a cracked version of the game from playing online, but would allow us legitimate users who share a computer to get the full experience of the game.

As a software developer myself, I would not be allowed to put something in our software that is so restrictive to legitimate users. Unfortunately, I find that I cannot advise anyone who uses a shared computer to buy this otherwise superb game because of this serious flaw.

Thanks,
Steve

Racemaniac
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: all
Manialink(s): racemaniac

Post by Racemaniac » 22 Jun 2007 09:43

then how about the daily coppers? if you could make as many profiles as you want, let the copper farming begin?
or will the coppers be divided? let the war between family members for the coppers begin....

i think the 1 key 1 account system is fair, i know it sux if you're with several players at home, but then you'll have to buy a copy for each.... (or save up 33000 coppers :p and buy a second copy ingame :p)
as much as the trackmanias may rule, carmageddon 1 & 2 are still the best games ever :D

fulles
highway camper
highway camper

Post by fulles » 22 Jun 2007 11:16

I'm sure there are ways around the coppers problem. Maybe you cannot buy items / exchange coppers between profiles with the same player key.

There will always be players that somehow get around the coppers thing by cheating anyway (not sure how this would be done, but there are a few cheats posted on these forums).

All things considered I think that the coppers issue pails into insignificance against not being able to fully utilise something that I have paid for!

I also don't understand why I should have to buy the game multiple times for the same PC. I don't buy multiple copies of any other game and they are all shared between myself and my son (on a single PC). I don't believe I am breaking any licence agreements by doing this.

Regards,
Steve

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMNF, TMUF
Manialink(s): zooz

Post by Zooz » 22 Jun 2007 11:37

Online profile = copy of the game.
Anyone can download the game for free (illegally) off some site, what they can't do is play online. If you can make multiple online profiles you can just give (or sell) them to those warez kiddies, resulting in them having the full game and Nadeo losing out on income.
fulles wrote: There will always be players that somehow get around the coppers thing by cheating anyway (not sure how this would be done, but there are a few cheats posted on these forums).
You can't cheat the coppers, those are all on Nadeo's servers.

Otherwise they wouldn't let you pay for full games with coppers, if you could just generate millions of them.

Shaun
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by Shaun » 22 Jun 2007 14:03

I thought I was not understanding how profiles work

viewtopic.php?t=9583

This spoils the experience for my son too and his friends compared to TMO or Sunrise - Must try sunrise under XP 64-bit the only reason I bought this is I though it would be the same but run under 64-bit as TMO did not.

Disapointed

Shaun

SilPho
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator
Owned TM-games: TMU

Post by SilPho » 24 Jun 2007 18:57

As much as I agree with fulles when it comes to wanting individual profiles online I wholly appreciate how logistically complicated it would be to achieve because of the daily copper bonus as it currently stands.

I see three options, one (as fulles suggested) is restricting donation to same key profiles, but as soon as two people collaborate that idea falls apart, the other method would be only allowing one profile per key receiving a daily copper bonus, but then the arguments over who gets that bonus will ensue. Option 3, split the copper amount between each profile, 3 profiles from one key would then give each profile 16 and 2/3 coppers per day (round it up to 20 maybe).

Personally I think option 3 would be fair enough, but to prevent people abusing others online with alternate accounts, I propse that if one account is banned, all of the other profiles with that key are banned as well. (So play nice).
Variety is better than change.
RoundDonut