remotecp problem

This is the dedicated forum for RemoteCP4: the web based dedicated server control script.

Moderators: hal|Sascha, TM-Patrol

fordry
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMUF TMN

remotecp problem

Post by fordry » 24 Jan 2008 21:02

hi all,
i am using usbtmnserver 1.9 and i cannot get the remotecp to function properly. when i put the address in the browser, the login screen loads ok, and if i put in the incorrect login info, it gives the appropriate error, but when i login correctly it will not load up the page, i just get a blank screen. this happens on the local computer and a networked computer in IE and firefox. i have checked and rechecked my port configuration and am pretty sure its correct. I am using Vista home premium 32bit and mcafee security which i tried disabling. Any suggestions?

fordry
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Re: remotecp problem

Post by fordry » 24 Jan 2008 21:05

one thing i forgot to mention, the server is running on the computer with vista, however, the networked computer that i tried with is windows xp.

lille79
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMNF, TMUF

Post by lille79 » 25 Jan 2008 00:00

hm... I've had big troubles using IE myself, but with firefox I've never had any issues. I don't have Vista, so I don't know if there are any issues there... Tried setting it up on the XP-machine, just to test?
/lille79
Old man of the Norwegian Trackmania team Super Sheep Racing
To visit my homepage/blog, and download the usbTMFserver, this is the place to go.

fordry
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by fordry » 25 Jan 2008 01:28

alright, so it does work when i put the server on the xp machine. Any ideas as to why it doesn't work on the vista machine would be appreciated though. i realize its probably something that is pretty difficult if not impossible to answer. i rmoved mcafee completely and even tried in safe mode.

fordry
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by fordry » 25 Jan 2008 05:36

ok, i am just gonna use the xp machine for now, it works good. I have another problem though which should be alot simpler, i think i am just missing something. Once i login, i get access denied, password incorrect errors whenever i try to do something. how can i properly set that up? or where is a walkthrough for that?

lille79
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by lille79 » 25 Jan 2008 15:14

Seems probable that you have changed the password or username in the dedicated.cfg-file. SuperAdmin level should be named SuperAdmin, and password should be usbTMN2. If not you might have changed the servers.xml in RemoteCP?

The only thing that must be changed in the dedicated-file is the login and password (and nation) under "masterserver_account".

Authorization_levels is best to keep as-is.

Hope that helps

edit: the Vista problem is something I have little possibilities of figuring out, sorry
/lille79
To visit my homepage/blog, and download the usbTMFserver, this is the place to go.

nocturne
solid chaser
solid chaser
Owned TM-games: all

Post by nocturne » 25 Jan 2008 15:27

Hey fordry, welcome to the thankless world of gameserver hosting, hehe.

The remotecp password must be entered as 'md5' strings, and not the actual password. To encode the password into md5, you can use this online md5 generator applet (link). It's all for security reasons, as md5 can be encoded but not decoded (meaning passes can't be stolen from config file on web).

As for why the remotecp would work on an xp machine and not on vista, I'm sure the problem has to do with either vista's builtin security or the compatibility of the used version of PHP with vista.

If it's security related, the usual route of disabling vista's firewall and using a third party firewall might help (PCTools, Comodo, and ZoneAlarm all have decent freeware firewalls for vista), or it might involve disabling some of vista's process controlling security features (requires a bit more of tweaking and researching what services to disable).

If it's php related, you can either try going the route of installing mysql, php, and apache into the system (perhaps with xampp), or it might be a problem with the GBX system file (in /inc/ dir) (link) (download).

Good luck.

Edit:

As far as the authorization levels go, you have to leave the names of the levels at the defaults; being SuperAdmin, Admin, and User (case-sensitive, as are all the passwords... basically, all the users and passes you set are case-sensitive). You probably should change the SuperAdmin password, but that requires that you also change it in the Aseco and RemoteCP configs, and it doesn't matter if <xmlrpc_allowremote> is set to false in the server config.

Also, since you're on windows, if you don't want the server/aseco consoles up all the time, you can use the freeware app AceHide Free (link).
Last edited by nocturne on 25 Jan 2008 17:39, edited 1 time in total.

lille79
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by lille79 » 25 Jan 2008 16:28

When he is using the usbTMNserver he should NOT change the password for the SuperAdmin authorization level. If he does that he must change a whole lot of other settings which makes the package a lot less user friendly :)

edit: :oops: as I see you mentioned what other things he must change...
edit: great app that acehide :1010
/lille79

fordry
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by fordry » 27 Jan 2008 05:58

thanks guys, i got it figured out, you were right lille79, i had changed that password, i put it all back and it works great. thanks for the work put in on this. makes it so easy.