TMServerSwitch v1.2 for FAST3.2.2

Discover FAST, a records keeping server control script with a public records system called Dedimania, which will show records from the server on tm-exchange.com

Moderators: Slig, TM-Patrol

sergent burn
cyclist
cyclist
Owned TM-games: TMU,TMN,TMO
Manialink(s): sergentburn

Re: TMServerSwitch v1.0 for FAST3.2.2

Post by sergent burn » 10 Jun 2009 19:09

all works fine thx

:gobananas:
Manialink ==> SERGENT BURNcolor>

DangerousThoughts
sunday driver
sunday driver
Owned TM-games: TMUF

Post by DangerousThoughts » 11 Jun 2009 22:30

When you force it to show at podium it stops the records updating for the next track on screen...anyone else having this problem?

Mort
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TMNF

Post by Mort » 14 Jun 2009 02:37

Just set it up and it seems to be working great - Excellent job. Took me a few minutes to work out where to click to make stuff happen though :)

A couple of questions/requests:
1. Can you make the menu entry a variable near the top of the script? That way it makes it easier to change, like you have for the GPP menu name
2. How do I change the window transparency/shade? I find it is a bit too clear and is hard to read with the TM screen showing behind it
3. What does "reload Cfg" do? I tried changing some settings, then clicked reload config but they didn't go back to the "default" from the settings file. I tried a refresh now and still nothing happened.
4. Normal users still see the "Servers" menu entry even when the plugin is turned off. Can that be set to not show when "Power:off" is set?

And one bug:
  • As an admin, if I click the "Servers" menu the list shows up as expected. Click it again and the list goes away.
  • If I open it, then click a menu item (e.g. Reload Cfg), the menu goes away but the list stays
  • If I click "Servers" again, the menu reappears and the list goes away!
  • now click a menu item again like reload cfg and the menu goes away and the list goes away and you are back to the start of the cycle :)
Update: Spoke too soon. Major bug!

When I finish a race I see a message "Record not store: wrong times or script time sync problem!". The local recs window on the right is then replaced by the server switch list even though I didn't have it set to be visible.

This isn't the end of the map, just the end of a single round. All my live five and map info seems to stop working as well. It's almost as though the server switch has done its "podium" stuff at the end of the round and turned all the other stuff off?

When the next map loads everything is all set back correctly again until the first round ends and it happens again.
Last edited by Mort on 14 Jun 2009 03:56, edited 2 times in total.

AstroGlider
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: TMF, TMU, TMS, TMI?

Post by AstroGlider » 14 Jun 2009 11:31

Mort wrote:Just set it up and it seems to be working great - Excellent job. Took me a few minutes to work out where to click to make stuff happen though :)

A couple of questions/requests:
1. Can you make the menu entry a variable near the top of the script? That way it makes it easier to change, like you have for the GPP menu name
2. How do I change the window transparency/shade? I find it is a bit too clear and is hard to read with the TM screen showing behind it
3. What does "reload Cfg" do? I tried changing some settings, then clicked reload config but they didn't go back to the "default" from the settings file. I tried a refresh now and still nothing happened.
4. Normal users still see the "Servers" menu entry even when the plugin is turned off. Can that be set to not show when "Power:off" is set?

And one bug:
  • As an admin, if I click the "Servers" menu the list shows up as expected. Click it again and the list goes away.
  • If I open it, then click a menu item (e.g. Reload Cfg), the menu goes away but the list stays
  • If I click "Servers" again, the menu reappears and the list goes away!
  • now click a menu item again like reload cfg and the menu goes away and the list goes away and you are back to the start of the cycle :)
Update: Spoke too soon. Major bug!

When I finish a race I see a message "Record not store: wrong times or script time sync problem!". The local recs window on the right is then replaced by the server switch list even though I didn't have it set to be visible.

This isn't the end of the map, just the end of a single round. All my live five and map info seems to stop working as well. It's almost as though the server switch has done its "podium" stuff at the end of the round and turned all the other stuff off?

When the next map loads everything is all set back correctly again until the first round ends and it happens again.
Ah that pesky rounds mode again... :lol: The "Record not stored: wrong times or script time sync problem!" must be a rounds problem I guess. Silly me forgot to test it in anything other than timeattack :oops: I'll have to give it a workout in rounds and see if I can reproduce it.

Regarding the localrecs panel disappearing after the podium, this is another matter, and probably has more to do with my misinterpretation of mcm's variable "handling" than anything else. See, at the podium, I store each connected players localrecs setting so that I can restore it at the beginning of each map. The problem occurs when no setting is given, i.e. default. Update coming as soon as I dig myself out of that spaghetti soup. Good news is that the temporary workaround is to go to the recs menu>settings and force show recs: on, and it'll work ok. At least until the script is restarted, at which point the procedure will have to be repeated, but I'm working on an update.

Regarding the "reload cfg" tab, it simply reloads the server entries for those who edit the tmswitch.xml.txt and who don't feel like waiting one minute or however long it takes for the script to check for updates. The menu settings will not change, so I suppose the tab should be renamed to "reload srv list" or something :wink: And while I'm at it, I'll add a tab to open or close the server list for admins too, because it gets too confusing that the server list toggles open/close for admins who want to make a change to the settings.
And no, I can't turn the "Servers" menu tab off when the plugin is off, because then how are you going to turn it back on? lol. So far it's doing well without chat commands, and I really prefer to keep it that way. Maybe a chat output that explains the server list has been disabled would clear up any confusion for bewildered players.. A config entry for the name of the menu tab instead of the dull "Servers ..." name is a good idea though, will be coming in next version.
Lastly, window transparency.. I'll add an item in the config for that too since I don't think it's something that'll be necessary to change that often.

Update coming in a few days, give or take. If I forgot something, or anyone has anything else to add, the "quote" button is right down :P

AstroGlider
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Post by AstroGlider » 14 Jun 2009 11:35

DangerousThoughts wrote:When you force it to show at podium it stops the records updating for the next track on screen...anyone else having this problem?
Yes, I just tested this on a new install and the same thing happened. Temporary workaround until I can get an updated version togeter is to go to the menu>settings>maintenance>force showrecs:on (for some reason it turns it off..) Turning it back on resolves it for now, but I'm working on a more permanent solution.

Mort
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Post by Mort » 15 Jun 2009 12:32

re the problem with rounds server:

To me it looks like the plugin is treating an end of round the same as the end of game in TA, i.e. it activates the podium stuff.

I tried to work out how the code worked but didn't have time to get deep, but are you using the right trigger to detect when the podium is displayed instead of when the current score list is displayed (like after each round?)

re Hiding the Server menu

Ideally it would just hide it for Users, not admins. If it's disabled by an admin then they should still see the menu to re-enable it, but as there's no "menu" for users they wouldn't need to see it if it's disabled. Having said that I don't know what is actually "possible" to do :)

AstroGlider
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Post by AstroGlider » 15 Jun 2009 17:17

Mort wrote:re the problem with rounds server:

To me it looks like the plugin is treating an end of round the same as the end of game in TA, i.e. it activates the podium stuff.

I tried to work out how the code worked but didn't have time to get deep, but are you using the right trigger to detect when the podium is displayed instead of when the current score list is displayed (like after each round?)

re Hiding the Server menu

Ideally it would just hide it for Users, not admins. If it's disabled by an admin then they should still see the menu to re-enable it, but as there's no "menu" for users they wouldn't need to see it if it's disabled. Having said that I don't know what is actually "possible" to do :)
I was using the right trigger for TA but not rounds, lol. I've now added the right one for rounds (and laps I suppose) so that it works right in both modes. Still trying to sort out the hiding/showing localrecs window after podium though, so I'm holding back an update until I can get that straightened out. If there's enough room, maybe I'll just say **** it and place the list beside the localrecs :mrgreen:

DangerousThoughts
sunday driver
sunday driver
Owned TM-games: TMUF

Post by DangerousThoughts » 15 Jun 2009 18:38

i dunno if you can do this but at the top fast displays info about the current track playing...could you not do something like xaseco up there where it shows current info and click to open it up to show next track info and lose the next track box making room for server switch?? just an idea..

Mort
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Post by Mort » 16 Jun 2009 07:25

Can you have a collapsible window for Switch on the Podium? If so then a simple box at the top of the screen that only expanded the full list if you clicked on it might work well. In most cases I don't think people would need to see the whole list at the podium, but the option to expand it if desired might help with the space problem.

As it is at the moment I'd rather hide Switch on the Podium in favour of keeping the local recs visible. If someone is thinking of switching servers then they can just do it while a race is on instead coz it's not like they are going to be racing anyway.

Another question: Does Switch handle different settings for multi-servers? Like you have with gpp, if I don't want switch enabled for one of my servers, can I have a switch.server3.xml.txt to give it a different settings? And if the server specific one doesn't exist then it will just use the "common" settings file.

AstroGlider
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Post by AstroGlider » 16 Jun 2009 22:39

DangerousThoughts wrote:i dunno if you can do this but at the top fast displays info about the current track playing...could you not do something like xaseco up there where it shows current info and click to open it up to show next track info and lose the next track box making room for server switch?? just an idea..
First off, the answer is yes, but I have reservations against doing so for at least a couple reasons. For one thing, it would require modding or replacing core Fast files, well at least one of them, so any Fast update would overwrite the mod. Secondly, I never intended (at least intentionally) to imitate or blindly copy the features of any other plugin/server controller without giving credit where due. That said, the XAseco solution works great, and does a great job of utilizing the screen space.

I will look into finding some ways to improve the ways that GPP makes use of the existing space however, and maybe downsize or reformat the current panels somewhat. Moving the serverswitch list to where the nextmap panel is located now would not work because it only takes four servers to exceed that space. I'll see what I come up with. In the meantime I do welcome your ideas and suggestions.

And btw, this should probably be in the GPP thread, so if a moderator happens to read it feel free to move it over ;)

AstroGlider
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Post by AstroGlider » 16 Jun 2009 22:44

Mort wrote:Can you have a collapsible window for Switch on the Podium? If so then a simple box at the top of the screen that only expanded the full list if you clicked on it might work well. In most cases I don't think people would need to see the whole list at the podium, but the option to expand it if desired might help with the space problem.

As it is at the moment I'd rather hide Switch on the Podium in favour of keeping the local recs visible. If someone is thinking of switching servers then they can just do it while a race is on instead coz it's not like they are going to be racing anyway.
Maybe once I shuffle things around I won't have to hide the localrecs panel. It was just a quick and convenient solution at the time.
Mort wrote:Another question: Does Switch handle different settings for multi-servers? Like you have with gpp, if I don't want switch enabled for one of my servers, can I have a switch.server3.xml.txt to give it a different settings? And if the server specific one doesn't exist then it will just use the "common" settings file.
As you probably already know, currently a multi-server setup uses the same config file for all servers. A check for a server-specific config should not be a problem, and is in fact quite relevant in a server switch plugin :lol: I'll add it to the next release.

Mort
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Post by Mort » 21 Jun 2009 11:47

Is the fix for Rounds servers a quick line edit coz I'd really love to get that sorted so I can enable the switch plug-in.

The rest of the stuff is more "nice to have" and I'm prepared to wait for a more complete update... but the rounds thing is killing any chance of me using it at the moment.

AstroGlider
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Post by AstroGlider » 21 Jun 2009 21:47

Mort wrote:Is the fix for Rounds servers a quick line edit coz I'd really love to get that sorted so I can enable the switch plug-in.

The rest of the stuff is more "nice to have" and I'm prepared to wait for a more complete update... but the rounds thing is killing any chance of me using it at the moment.
I think I got it straightened out, but haven't had time to test it as much as I'd like due to other obligations. In any case it should work better than the first version, so I'll try to get it uploaded in a few hours or less.

AstroGlider
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Post by AstroGlider » 22 Jun 2009 02:05

v1.2 uploaded. See first post for details. It's not perfect (yet) but it's (hopefully) a step somewhere in the approximation of the right direction :roflol:

Mort
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Post by Mort » 22 Jun 2009 14:30

Just loaded it up on all 7 of my servers. So far it all looks fine. Rounds mode is working now at least :)

I like the changes you made, and for the toggle for admins. I'll keep you posted if we find any bugs.