Upcoming ASECO/RASP v0.8 release

Discuss everything about Xymph's Aseco flavoured server control scripts for TM Forever / classic TMN and for TM² Canyon.

Moderators: Xymph, TM-Patrol

Xymph
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMU, TMF, TM²

Upcoming ASECO/RASP v0.8 release

Post by Xymph » 30 Sep 2007 21:58

As evidenced by the many TrackMania (Nations) servers running it, the ASECO/RASP system for TMO/TMS/TMN is a very popular package to keep track of records and offer players various useful commands and features. But its original authors have moved on to TMU, so I have been working at the system on my own since last May to improve and expand it. The number of changes is so large that I decided (somewhat presumptuously perhaps) to call this system version 0.8, a major update since ASECO 0.61b and RASP 1.5 that together combined into version 0.7.

Personally I fail to see the point of running a barebones ASECO system without at least the RASP plugins, because those add so many basic and useful features and commands which players enjoy, that I will not be releasing them separately like before, but as one combined system. The remaining plugins that will be included in my v0.8 release (Jfreu, and Mistral's idle-kick) are however optional, as are the handful of new plugins I developed myself. My overall goal remained to stick to 'core functionality' as much as possible, rather than include into the base system any of the variety of 'niche' plugins that exist out there (like offline messaging, jukebox credits, etc).

Since TrackMania all about competition, this 'core functionality' is to empower the players to compete better, and to that end they need information about how they're doing in comparison to other players. Well, let's face it, the v0.7 system did a fairly poor job at that. :wink: A /top5 command to see only the 5 best ranked players on a server? A /recs command that shows only the 5 best times on a track? Sorry, that didn't cut it for me. :) So this is where a lot of the new features and commands are focused on. In particular, while FAST doesn't offer a lot of features either, it has better ways to inform players of records before and after each track, and the times raced during each round in Rounds mode, so I implemented those features as well.

Here is a complete overview of the new features and other changes in the upcoming ASECO/RASP system v0.8:

- FAST-like records handling: with every new/improved record, players see the old place and the time difference compared to their old record

- show secured records (incremental improvements of the same place) and equaled records to all players

- FAST-like record reports:
before each track (optionally) show the places & times of the first 8 (configurable) players, along with those of all other online players;
after each track show the places & times of the first 8 (configurable) players, along with any new/improved records, and the total count of new/improved records;
also, all online players are shown in italics

- enhanced /recs command to display all records (paginated) on current track, not just the first 5

- new /newrecs command to show newly driven records so far on current track

- new /liverecs command to show the top-6 (configurable) records and records of online players on the current track, whether new or not

- new /firstrec and /lastrec commands to quickly show the best and worst ranked records on a track (without browsing /recs)

- new /diffrec command to quickly show the time difference between your /pb and the /firstrec on a track

- new /nextrec command to quickly show the next better ranked record (compared to your /pb) to beat on a track

- new /recrange command to show the time difference between the first and last ranked records on a track

- FAST-like rounds reports: after each run show the places & times of the first 8 (configurable) players, and just the places of the rest;
new/improved records are highlighted and always shown with the time

- created an EndRound event in the events handling for the aforementioned rounds reports

- connect new player message (via Jfreu plugin) enhanced to show nation, ladder rank & server rank (also, if connecting player is an admin, show 'Admin' instead of 'New Player')

- new /list options to complement /list nofinish:
/list norank displays all tracks the player finished but doesn't have a ranked record on
/list nogold displays all tracks the player finished but didn't beat the Gold time on

- new /jukebox display option to display tracks & requesters in a pop-up

- new /jukebox drop option to allow a player to drop his/her track in order to jukebox a different one

- new /jukebox help option to display all jukebox facilities

- new /best & /worst commands allowing players to display their records sorted in best or worst order

- new /summary command to show the total number of ranked records, and the top 3 of the best ones

- new /toprecs command to display the top-100 of players with the most ranked records

- /top5 command replaced by /top10 command, and new /top100 command added to display the server ranks of many more players than just the first 5

- enhanced /stats command to display lots more details about the player (supersedes /infos command from Jfreu plugin)

- moved Jfreu's /write_list command functionality to /jfreu writelists

- new /server command to display lots of details about the server, including the admin contact email (if you'd like to display more contact details, better use slly's chat.contact.php plugin)

- new /nations command to display the top-10 nations with the most visiting players

- new /ranks command to display the server ranks of all online players

- new /clans command to display which clans all online players belong to

- new /topclans command to display top-10 of all clans (determined by averaging the ranks of all players in each clan)

- new /wins command to quickly show the player's win count

- new /topwins command to display the top-100 of players with the most wins

- new /active command to display the top-100 players that spent the most time on the server

- new /track command to show details about the current track

- new /history command to show the 10 most recently played tracks

- new /playtime to show the time the current track has been playing

- optional showing of total playtime at the end of the track (only in Rounds & Team modes - playtime is fixed in Time Attack & Laps)

- new /time command to show the current time and date on the server

- new /bootme command so the player can leave (kick himself) without using the Escape menu

- /msg command renamed to /pm (private message)

- new /pma command so an admin can send private message to a player and also to all other online admins (ie. like carbon-copy in mails)

- new admin command: /admin pm to send private message from one admin to all other online admins

- enhancement of /players command: now shows column of player IDs, which can subsequently be used with /pm (for all users) and /pma (for admins) instead of logins (which are sometimes hard to type);
also shows Nations of all players

- added shortcuts for common admin commands:
/admin nextmap or /admin next
/admin restartmap or /admin res
/admin cancel or /admin can
/admin clearjukebox or /admin cjb

- new admin command: /admin endround (or shortcut /admin er) forces end of a round without restarting the whole track

- new admin command: /admin replaymap (or shortcut /admin replay) to requeue the current track at the start of the jukebox so it will play again, after it ends and ladder points have been awarded

- new admin command: /admin dropjukebox # (shortcut /admin djb) to drop any track from the jukebox

- new admin commands: /admin showbanlist and /admin showblacklist to display the lists of banned and blacklisted player(s)

- new admin commands: /admin writeblacklist and /admin readblacklist to write/read the player blacklist to/from disk

- enhancement of /admin warn, /admin kick, /admin ban & /admin black to accept player IDs from /players command

- new admin command: /admin kickghost to kick a partially disconnected player without checking for valid login (doesn't work with player ID)

- enhancement of /admin warn,kick,kickghost,ban,black,er,res,next,can,cjb commands to show nickname of the admin performing them

- more admin powers for the jukebox: admins can jukebox a track that was recently played (players have to wait until it expires from the track history), and admins can add multiple tracks (players can add only one)

- other admin powers: admin can use player logins or IDs with /stats, /best, /worst, /summary

- new option $allowpublickarma to disable public karma votes (so that only /++ and /-- work)

- new option $feature_jukebox to disable actual jukebox-ing of tracks, while leaving /list enabled (as long as plugin remains included)

- new option $jukebox_skipleft to enable skipping of a jukebox-ed track after its requester left

- new option to log all player chat, not just use of chat commands

- various other logging enhancements

- enhanced Idle-kick plugin by Mistral: kicks AFK players after two tracks, except speccers (configurable)

- tracks downloaded from TMX are saved by track name, not TMX ID

- new general chat commands: /gr, /bgm, /thx, /brb, /afk

- new /helpall command to display complete paginated help overview of all commands, and also pagination of /admin help & /jfreu help

- numerous cosmetic tweaks, e.g. consistent formatting of all messages to players, and improved contrast in all pop-ups

- improved stripColors function based on Bilge/AM's TMU stripFormatting function

- many bug fixes, e.g. in /list help, the original records handling, in /nextmap, player connects, and more

- numerous code optimizations and layout tweaks, including a consistent Tab-based layout that's customizable with vim's modeline settings while preserving correct indentation throughout the entire code base

- Jfreu's childish /fake command has been disabled ;) as well as the non-functional /password command

Still with me? :D To see any of this in operation, visit the server in my signature.

There are still a few things in the system I need to sort out, along with reviewing/updating the installation instructions and other documentation, but I intend to release everything next month. Meanwhile, those who made modifications to existing v0.7 files (like some of slly's plugins) should be aware that their mods may or may not be easily ported to v0.8 because of the extent and nature of the changes in it. Standalone plugins should (hopefully) work in v0.8 without too much hassle, but after the v0.8 release I'll be happy to assist plugin authors to get their mod working again.

Anyway, this post was to announce the upcoming release, and I welcome feedback on the above list and suggestions for further improvements.

Thanks for your time in reading this far,
Xymph
Developer of XASECO for TMF/TMN ESWC & XASECO2 for TM²: see XAseco.org
Find your way around the Mania community from the TMN ESWC hub, TMF hub, TM² hub, and SM hub

f*ckfish
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: TMNF, TMUF

Re: Upcoming ASECO/RASP v0.8 release

Post by f*ckfish » 01 Oct 2007 03:08

Sounds huge, I'm looking forward to testing it =)
inactive, sorry

soehest
happy cruiser
happy cruiser
Owned TM-games: TMU

Post by soehest » 01 Oct 2007 05:40

Xymph wrote:As evidenced by the many TrackMania (Nations) servers running it, the ASECO/RASP system for TMO/TMS/TMN is a very popular package to keep track of records and offer players various useful commands and features. But its original authors have moved on to TMU, so I have been working at the system on my own since last May to improve and expand it. The number of changes is so large that I decided (somewhat presumptuously perhaps) to call this system version 0.8, a major update since ASECO 0.61b and RASP 1.5 that together combined into version 0.7.
Sounds really awesome will be looking forward to trying this version :-)

Regards

nocturne
solid chaser
solid chaser
Owned TM-games: all

Post by nocturne » 01 Oct 2007 06:18

Whew, now that's a doosie...

When I first started reading the list of features, the first thing that honestly came to mind was if I tried this out, how much work would it be to hack in all my and others' mods and plugins. But after reading the whole list, it seems you pretty much have everything (even mine), and then some...

I have two more I think you should add to the list: slly's vote plugin (with perhaps a switch for it in the config), and a second admin class (called mods, perhaps) with a 'copy' of the admin plugin commands (with the 'switches' of course). I got some code from sloth (basically just an edited main aseco file with all the admin functions copied), which works great but requires that any plugin with special admin privileges (like the jukebox) include the modlist also.

Edited Aseco File
(just needs a copied & renamed admin plugin (with the admin_list code changed to mod_list) and needs a <mods> section in the config.xml)

In any case, it sounds great. Can't wait!

Anbert
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by Anbert » 01 Oct 2007 08:36

Take your time but hurry up. And please release it on friday evening, I think I'll spend all night playing with it... Otherwise my boss will get angry when i show up all tired... :P

Xymph
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Xymph » 01 Oct 2007 17:23

nocturne wrote:When I first started reading the list of features, the first thing that honestly came to mind was if I tried this out, how much work would it be to hack in all my and others' mods and plugins. But after reading the whole list, it seems you pretty much have everything (even mine), and then some...
Thanks.
nocturne wrote:I have two more I think you should add to the list: slly's vote plugin (with perhaps a switch for it in the config), and a second admin class (called mods, perhaps) with a 'copy' of the admin plugin commands (with the 'switches' of course). I got some code from sloth (basically just an edited main aseco file with all the admin functions copied), which works great but requires that any plugin with special admin privileges (like the jukebox) include the modlist also.
I'm aware of slly's plugins (in fact the idea to save TMX tracks by name instead of ID is his) but have some ideas of my own to add to chat-based voting as well. Developing all that would take more time (like, indeed, making it optional and configurable by server admins) and I don't want to hold up the release of the main system for it as I've had more requests for a release over the past few months already. But there's always v0.81. :D

I didn't know about the modlist features, but I thought there's a separate Operator plugin for that functionality already. However, I've visited a lot of servers recently to check what kind of systems and plugins are popular (and to look for additional ideas for new commands), and the Operator plugin was in use on very few of them. So perhaps it's better if that remains a separate plugin, but again that can be discussed further after the v0.8 release.
Anbert wrote:Take your time but hurry up. And please release it on friday evening, I think I'll spend all night playing with it... Otherwise my boss will get angry when i show up all tired... :P
Uhm, okay... I'll try to keep it in mind. :P
Find your way around the Mania community from the TMN ESWC hub, TMF hub, TM² hub, and SM hub

BReMFoX
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: TMUF

Post by BReMFoX » 01 Oct 2007 17:59

Dude!
Really nice!

Can't wait for release :)

utal
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMU, TMO, TMS

Post by utal » 01 Oct 2007 22:16

amazing feature list!

TMN is on ESWC 2008 again.. its time to improve more this lovely game!

tks mate!
utal

TaSo
happy cruiser
happy cruiser
Owned TM-games: TMS, TMN, TMU, TMUF

Post by TaSo » 02 Oct 2007 11:30

Very nice list of features!
Can't wait for this one! :1010 :3

cow
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMS, TMO

Post by cow » 02 Oct 2007 17:28

(in fact the idea to save TMX tracks by name instead of ID is his)

LOL the code was his, teh complaint was mine.. "slly please make me a script so i can figure out what all these damn tracks are "

and yeah i use the mod script a lot.. big thing is i just wanted the function isatet19
would be nice just isonmyteam
but yeah when server gets packed i limit a lot of fuctions to teammates only so the juke doesnt get qued up with 12 tracks, i use it for bot responces that are differnt that the common folks, I use it too keep track of teammates that change their nicks. I use to to give them an exception to the idle kick. It is also my master team list. AS well as letting teammates kick and warn and basically feel at home but not give them admin all the admin commands

Eh keep it seperate if ya want but it is vital to me.
join me at the music tower
Tet19's MusicTower

Assembler Maniac
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: TMU

Post by Assembler Maniac » 03 Oct 2007 01:23

Did you guys know about the trackref.txt file that resides in the TMX folder when using RASP? It has the track id and actual name in it so you can which is which.
cow wrote:(in fact the idea to save TMX tracks by name instead of ID is his)

LOL the code was his, teh complaint was mine.. "slly please make me a script so i can figure out what all these damn tracks are "

and yeah i use the mod script a lot.. big thing is i just wanted the function isatet19
would be nice just isonmyteam
but yeah when server gets packed i limit a lot of fuctions to teammates only so the juke doesnt get qued up with 12 tracks, i use it for bot responces that are differnt that the common folks, I use it too keep track of teammates that change their nicks. I use to to give them an exception to the idle kick. It is also my master team list. AS well as letting teammates kick and warn and basically feel at home but not give them admin all the admin commands

Eh keep it seperate if ya want but it is vital to me.
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
P4 3.2Ghz @ 3.35Ghz
2G Kingston Hyper-X DDR 2
ATI Radeon X850 XT Platinum 256M
Sound Blaster Audigy II
2x 120G Maxtor Hard drives
HDTV Tuner Card (Fusion 5 Gold)

Xymph
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Xymph » 03 Oct 2007 10:41

Assembler Maniac wrote:Did you guys know about the trackref.txt file that resides in the TMX folder when using RASP? It has the track id and actual name in it so you can which is which.
I hadn't really looked into that bit of code (and the feature isn't documented in your Readme.txt :P) but now that I did, I see that "/add trackref" will just build that list without actually renaming the files. That's neat but doesn't help when /add is disabled and only "/admin add" is allowed (like on my server), as I've modified that too to save the TMX track by name.

Thanks for the tip though,
Xymph

Anbert
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by Anbert » 08 Oct 2007 20:31

Isn't it "next month" now or am I just impatient? :pil

Xymph
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Xymph » 08 Oct 2007 23:41

Yes, it's this month, possibly later this week even. I'm testing the last change for a few more days to make sure it's stable, and am making the last few preparations for the release. Patience brother. :P

Xymph

Anbert
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by Anbert » 09 Oct 2007 14:53

Better a week later then a buggy version. I just want to keep this topic hot so you know your making us happy with your hours of hard work. :pil