ASECO/RASP v0.81 released!

Discuss everything about Xymph's Aseco flavoured server control scripts for TM Forever / classic TMN and for TM² Canyon.

Moderators: Xymph, TM-Patrol

Xymph
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMU, TMF, TM²

Re: ASECO/RASP v0.81 released!

Post by Xymph » 15 Oct 2007 19:39

Fisch.666 wrote:First thanks for the 0.8 and 0.81 updates, both works here without a problem. But i get a lot of:
[15-Oct-2007 19:54:02] PHP Warning: Call-time pass-by-reference has been deprecated; If you would like to pass it by reference, modify the declaration of [runtime function name](). If you would like to enable call-time pass-by-reference, you can set allow_call_time_pass_reference to true in your INI file. in /path/to/aseco/plugins/jfreu.plugin.php on line 257
warnings in my php errorlog. To fix this i had to change all

&$aseco or &$command
to
$aseco or $command and now the warnings are gone...
The function declarations have always been like that before v0.8 too. I'm not a PHP-installation expert though, it "just worked" :) on my Linux distro after I installed PHP 5.2.0 a long time ago. And I have "allow_call_time_pass_reference = Off" in my php.ini file as well.

But of course it's inconvenient if you have the edit all the source files (upon every upgrade too), so if turning on allow_call_time_pass_reference doesn't work for you, perhaps a PHP-wizard has another tip for you.

Xymph
Developer of XASECO for TMF/TMN ESWC & XASECO2 for TM²: see XAseco.org
Find your way around the Mania community from the TMN ESWC hub, TMF hub, TM² hub, and SM hub

soehest
happy cruiser
happy cruiser
Owned TM-games: TMU

Post by soehest » 15 Oct 2007 20:07

Hi :-)

After serious consideration i tried this new version today, and i really am very happy i did, this new version not only fixes existing bugs on 0.7 but also adds new very very nice features. I could go on forever praising this. I am very glad that this project is being activily developed and support seems nice as well. Great!

Now onto the questions.
I am experiencing some troubles with the ingame chatwindow. Sometimes text disappears but after seconds it reappers. It seems to be related to when other users are issuing commands like /pb etc. Server is not under serious load when this happen. Am i the only one who has tried this?

Regards
Daniel

Fisch.666
happy cruiser
happy cruiser
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMN, TMUF, TMNF

Post by Fisch.666 » 15 Oct 2007 20:13

Hi!

Yes, i had the same problem with v0.8 too but i had no time to post this here. :D

Setting allow_call_time_pass_reference to on should work, but i think i will edit the sources after every update because this option will be removed in a future version of php. Here is a short description to this option:
http://us.php.net/manual/en/ini.core.php

allow_call_time_pass_reference boolean

Whether to warn when arguments are passed by reference at function call time. This method is deprecated and is likely to be unsupported in future versions of PHP/Zend. The encouraged method of specifying which arguments should be passed by reference is in the function declaration. You're encouraged to try and turn this option Off and make sure your scripts work properly with it in order to ensure they will work with future versions of the language (you will receive a warning each time you use this feature).

Passing arguments by reference at function call time was deprecated for code cleanliness reason. Function can modify its argument in undocumented way if it didn't declared that the argument is passed by reference. To prevent side-effects it's better to specify which arguments are passed by reference in function declaration only.

See also References Explained.

Xymph
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Xymph » 15 Oct 2007 23:05

soehest wrote:After serious consideration i tried this new version today, and i really am very happy i did, this new version not only fixes existing bugs on 0.7 but also adds new very very nice features. I could go on forever praising this. I am very glad that this project is being activily developed and support seems nice as well. Great!
Thanks for the kind words, I'm doing my best. :)
soehest wrote:Now onto the questions.
I am experiencing some troubles with the ingame chatwindow. Sometimes text disappears but after seconds it reappers. It seems to be related to when other users are issuing commands like /pb etc. Server is not under serious load when this happen. Am i the only one who has tried this?
I've occasionally seen the text disappear too, but only with the small window in the lower-left corner. The next line of output would usually bring it back, or hitting 'c' would bring up the full window with the text too, and upon another 'c' the small window would have it back as well. I've seen this on other servers long before I started working on ASECO myself, so I think it's a TMN client bug.

Xymph
Find your way around the Mania community from the TMN ESWC hub, TMF hub, TM² hub, and SM hub

cow
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMS, TMO

Post by cow » 15 Oct 2007 23:14

on chat log.. needs to ignore server messages
needs to be 15 lines back.. so we can see behind what you can see by pressing c
and the window can be too large on some peoples screens forcing them to shut down tmn as they cant see the ok button to close it.
havng no other problems yet
also concider the juke credits plugin but add it to the add command too like i did.
join me at the music tower
Tet19's MusicTower

Xymph
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Xymph » 16 Oct 2007 00:05

cow wrote:on chat log.. needs to ignore server messages
It will, if you define this correctly, from the Configuration section on my page:
config.xml:
And in the <tmserver> section:
<account>YOUR_SERVER_LOGIN</account>
This needs to be set to the login you registered your server with (see the Dedicated Server tutorials, below), i.e. the <login> field in the <masterserver_account> section of your dedicated.cfg file.
cow wrote:needs to be 15 lines back.. so we can see behind what you can see by pressing c
By default it will show 30 lines, in three pages of 10 lines each, but you can configure that with "$chatlen = 30;" at the start of plugin.chatlog.php.
cow wrote:and the window can be too large on some peoples screens forcing them to shut down tmn as they cant see the ok button to close it.
That may have been caused by the server output still being included - see above. I found 10 lines of output per page to fit fine, the /helpall and /admin help output is actually 15 lines per page. Also, long chat lines are wrapped after 40 characters to avoid the pop-up window becoming wider than the screen, but you can configure that too with "$linelen = 40;" :P
cow wrote:havng no other problems yet
And none at all now, hopefully. :wink:
cow wrote:also concider the juke credits plugin but add it to the add command too like i did.
Sorry, I've seen that plugin on only one server (and I checked many dozens this summer to see what features are popular), which is of course [z]Rounds itself, so I don't feel that warrants including it in the official ASECO/RASP distribution. People looking for it can still find the relevant post via the Links section on my page though.

Xymph

Xymph
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Xymph » 16 Oct 2007 00:11

Fisch.666 wrote:Yes, i had the same problem with v0.8 too but i had no time to post this here. :D

Setting allow_call_time_pass_reference to on should work, but i think i will edit the sources after every update because this option will be removed in a future version of php. Here is a short description to this option:
http://us.php.net/manual/en/ini.core.php

allow_call_time_pass_reference boolean

Whether to warn when arguments are passed by reference at function call time. This method is deprecated and is likely to be unsupported in future versions of PHP/Zend. The encouraged method of specifying which arguments should be passed by reference is in the function declaration. You're encouraged to try and turn this option Off and make sure your scripts work properly with it in order to ensure they will work with future versions of the language (you will receive a warning each time you use this feature).

Passing arguments by reference at function call time was deprecated for code cleanliness reason. Function can modify its argument in undocumented way if it didn't declared that the argument is passed by reference. To prevent side-effects it's better to specify which arguments are passed by reference in function declaration only.

See also References Explained.
I saw that too, in the php.ini file itself, and was wondering whether I should indeed change the parameter passing throughout ASECO/RASP. Fact was, it wasn't being done consistently in the source anyway. So I made a backup and took the plunge, deleting '&' from all function declarations. That resulted in two problems, which I managed to track down and fix by adding '&' to a few function calls, and now the system works fine again on my server.

So while I cannot test it as I don't get the aforementioned PHP Warnings myself, I hope they will be gone for other people too, as I'll use this in the imminent v0.82 release.

Xymph

Xymph
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Xymph » 16 Oct 2007 00:19

m&o wrote:now already talking about next update...is it gone be 3 rasp versions a week?:P
Yes, I'm afraid so. :P 8) I can work pretty fast on this stuff, and there's a lot of great feedback here to help me improve the system. So v0.82 will be out very soon, if you don't mind. :shock:

Xymph

w1lla
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMN, TMF
Manialink(s): intr

Post by w1lla » 16 Oct 2007 07:38

What i do miss in aseco is an public database which was made in the early days of aseco. I know it could be hard time to make one but it would be nice to see the recs that are driven on the servers with the new aseco v0.81 but it would be nice to see aseco recs on tmx or another site to see the recs what are driven offline and/or online please give comment if it could be possible. But i really like the update which is very :1010

Code: Select all

tmnforever is nations and united makes it special. tmnforever has united. I need united!

Xymph
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Xymph » 16 Oct 2007 11:32

MISI wrote:
Xymph wrote:Btw, is there a need for Unban, Unblacklist, Add/RemoveGuest commands in /admin, or are all admins using Remote-CP/Servermania/whathaveyou for that anyway?
It will be nice to see it in next update. ;-)
Ok, this is all in the new v0.82 release. I thought building the UnBan would be tricky, because its syntax specified it requires a ClientName as parameter, but it turns out that's a bug in ListMethods.html -- it takes a Login just like all other ban/blacklist/guest commands. A corrected copy is on my TMN site: http://www.gamers.org/tmn/ListMethods.html
* UnBan
boolean UnBan(string)
Unban the player with the specified login. Only available to Admin.
Xymph

Xymph
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Xymph » 16 Oct 2007 11:39

w1lla wrote:What i do miss in aseco is an public database which was made in the early days of aseco. I know it could be hard time to make one but it would be nice to see the recs that are driven on the servers with the new aseco v0.81 but it would be nice to see aseco recs on tmx or another site to see the recs what are driven offline and/or online please give comment if it could be possible. But i really like the update which is very :1010
Well, that's a different ball game. :roll: The big hurdle with that is of course setting up and maintaining a public database somewhere, and I don't know what is required for that. Interfacing with TMX's records doesn't seem feasible though as those are based on offline replays, afaik. Also, I prefer to keep my own TMN server running with a local database, so testing the public records code for a possible future ASECO/RASP release would be tricky... but maybe with help from someone else the public database can be revived.

Meanwhile, v0.82 is now out. 8)
Xymph

Assembler Maniac
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Assembler Maniac » 16 Oct 2007 12:57

I've re-written the pub db for ASECO 2.x so that it uses mysqli instead of http for the connection (Flo knows it and gave me the ok). I'm still testing it, but it seems to be fairly stable so far. Porting it to TMN shouldn't be very hard. I'll let the everyone know more when I think it's stable enough to release for TMU, then it'll be safe to try porting for TMN.
Xymph wrote:
w1lla wrote:What i do miss in aseco is an public database which was made in the early days of aseco. I know it could be hard time to make one but it would be nice to see the recs that are driven on the servers with the new aseco v0.81 but it would be nice to see aseco recs on tmx or another site to see the recs what are driven offline and/or online please give comment if it could be possible. But i really like the update which is very :1010
Well, that's a different ball game. :roll: The big hurdle with that is of course setting up and maintaining a public database somewhere, and I don't know what is required for that. Interfacing with TMX's records doesn't seem feasible though as those are based on offline replays, afaik. Also, I prefer to keep my own TMN server running with a local database, so testing the public records code for a possible future ASECO/RASP release would be tricky... but maybe with help from someone else the public database can be revived.

Meanwhile, v0.82 is now out. 8)
Xymph
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
P4 3.2Ghz @ 3.35Ghz
2G Kingston Hyper-X DDR 2
ATI Radeon X850 XT Platinum 256M
Sound Blaster Audigy II
2x 120G Maxtor Hard drives
HDTV Tuner Card (Fusion 5 Gold)

w1lla
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMN, TMF
Manialink(s): intr

Post by w1lla » 16 Oct 2007 14:37

i see that the aseco 1.02 version has public db couldnt it be that one which can be ported or is it quite some work.??? well i hope public db comes but i keep my fingers crossed.

Code: Select all

tmnforever is nations and united makes it special. tmnforever has united. I need united!

Assembler Maniac
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Assembler Maniac » 16 Oct 2007 15:15

w1lla wrote:i see that the aseco 1.02 version has public db couldnt it be that one which can be ported or is it quite some work.??? well i hope public db comes but i keep my fingers crossed.
All of the public db's have had problems in the past, hanging, causing timeouts of php. The mysqli version will take care of that, and hopefully function exactly the same (possibly with a few improvements). Additionally, there's only one public db that's html based at the moment, and that's for tmu. Once I get the new one done, I'll try to port it backwards to other versions (hopefully it won't be too difficult or time consuming).

The only requirement of mysqli is php 5, and having it enabled in php.ini.
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
P4 3.2Ghz @ 3.35Ghz
2G Kingston Hyper-X DDR 2
ATI Radeon X850 XT Platinum 256M
Sound Blaster Audigy II
2x 120G Maxtor Hard drives
HDTV Tuner Card (Fusion 5 Gold)

soehest
happy cruiser
happy cruiser

Post by soehest » 16 Oct 2007 15:36

soehest wrote:Now onto the questions.
Xymph wrote: I've occasionally seen the text disappear too, but only with the small window in the lower-left corner. The next line of output would usually bring it back, or hitting 'c' would bring up the full window with the text too, and upon another 'c' the small window would have it back as well. I've seen this on other servers long before I started working on ASECO myself, so I think it's a TMN client bug.
Xymph
This is odd i think. I have been running aseco/rasp 0.7 for some time and this never occured using the old system, and when it is happening it is apperantly affecting all users. But true text does come back, sometime quicker than others :-) Has anyone else tried this?
Regards