/addmin add troubles (running aseco 0.84) somewhat answered

Discuss everything about Xymph's Aseco flavoured server control scripts for TM Forever / classic TMN and for TM² Canyon.

Moderators: Xymph, TM-Patrol

Post Reply
User avatar
soehest
happy cruiser
happy cruiser
Posts: 161
Joined: 07 Jun 2007 13:52
Owned TM-games: TMU
Contact:

/addmin add troubles (running aseco 0.84) somewhat answered

Post by soehest » 26 Oct 2007 21:24

Hi guys :-)

I have recently run into some problems when adding new tracks for my server, usually the problems exists when adding tracks from users who are really new into the art of track making, which is just fine as we all have to start somewhere, and i do welcome new people to the game :-)

Problem is, when issuing a /addmin add #number sometimes script echo's Admin added track

with no trackname

Other times it simply does nothing but does download the track.

My research have led me to it could be missing validation (one time i downloaded the track to my desktop machine, loaded it and did a validate and suddenly the track was good for the server to load) but beside that i have really been unable to confirm this as no tracks i have downloaded from trackmania exchange actually has a time set when i load the track in the editor, which as i understand it should to be properly validated?

Would there be some way to check for if a track is actually valid before trying to add it, and maybe spew out some error messages if track is not added.

Tracks in questions for a litte example.
http://nations.tm-exchange.com/main.asp ... 11214#auto

This one adds up just fine.

http://nations.tm-exchange.com/main.asp ... 11404#auto

This one does not, it just gives a empty add message without any trackname :-)

EDIT: I suddenly realised what the problem is. It is the converting of trackname that fails on my linux system. When the track is made up of non ascii characters (i guess) the conversion fails and it ends up in my tmx folder as:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 12325 Oct 27 00:08 ?????????making life better.Challenge.gbx
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3842 Oct 27 00:36 City?.Challenge.gbx
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 48170 Oct 27 00:39 ?CrAzY SpEeD?.Challenge.gbx

All tracks with a ? cannot be inserted in track challenge :-)
The city track above would be $w$000 City_.Challenge.gbx when downloaded in windows

Xymph
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Posts: 5685
Joined: 19 Aug 2007 12:58
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMU, TMF, TM²
Contact:

Re: /addmin add troubles (running aseco 0.84) somewhat answered

Post by Xymph » 27 Oct 2007 00:23

soehest wrote:EDIT: I suddenly realised what the problem is. It is the converting of trackname that fails on my linux system. When the track is made up of non ascii characters (i guess) the conversion fails and it ends up in my tmx folder as:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 12325 Oct 27 00:08 ?????????making life better.Challenge.gbx
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3842 Oct 27 00:36 City?.Challenge.gbx
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 48170 Oct 27 00:39 ?CrAzY SpEeD?.Challenge.gbx

All tracks with a ? cannot be inserted in track challenge :-)
The city track above would be $w$000 City_.Challenge.gbx when downloaded in windows
Right, that was the reason. And since both '?' and '*' (asterisk) are meta characters on Linux, the problem also occurred with tracknames containing one or more '*'s. This is fixed in the imminent v0.85 release.

Thanks again,
Xymph
Developer of XASECO for TMF/TMN ESWC & XASECO2 for TM²: see XAseco.org
Find your way around the Mania community from the TMN ESWC hub, TMF hub, TM² hub, and SM hub

cow
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Posts: 216
Joined: 20 Mar 2007 02:53
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMS, TMO
Contact:

Re: /addmin add troubles (running aseco 0.84) somewhat answered

Post by cow » 27 Oct 2007 03:57

yeah slly and I ran into all kinds of troubles when he first change from track id's to name
and still happens on rare occassions. you find yourself cursing track makers for being sooo creative with the names.

But since this reminded me of something unrelated i thought i would share some "issues"
we ran into.

The server appears to load/check every track on the server, on start, even if it isnt in the track list. If you have a dupe of a track.. one you added music and the other you didnt.. it wont play the music no matter which is actually in the track list.. and you cant just del the non music one.. and have the music one work.. nor can you del the non music one, remove the muxed one fromt eh list and readded it.. through tmx or any other way you can imagine.. you have to remove the non muxed one and restart the server

now there is another issue, where a new track builder changes the track.. like adds somethign like signs cause everyone complained and then trys to readd the same track back with out renaming it. The server just likes to skip those.. doesnt matter if you juke it.. set it next in the remote. which i suppose might use the same functions. they get skipped unless you rename them INSIDE tmn/ not just the file name or restart the server.

i dont know can be a fusterating learning experience.. hope it helps ease someone elses.
join me at the music tower
Tet19's MusicTower

User avatar
soehest
happy cruiser
happy cruiser
Posts: 161
Joined: 07 Jun 2007 13:52
Owned TM-games: TMU
Contact:

Re: /addmin add troubles (running aseco 0.84) somewhat answered

Post by soehest » 27 Oct 2007 11:52

cow wrote:yeah slly and I ran into all kinds of troubles when he first change from track id's to name
and still happens on rare occassions. you find yourself cursing track makers for being sooo creative with the names.
I was cursing believe me :-) Spent some hours explaining that i could not add those tracks as there was a flaw somewhere but could not go further than that :-)

cow wrote: But since this reminded me of something unrelated i thought i would share some "issues"
we ran into.

The server appears to load/check every track on the server, on start, even if it isnt in the track list. If you have a dupe of a track.. one you added music and the other you didnt.. it wont play the music no matter which is actually in the track list.. and you cant just del the non music one.. and have the music one work.. nor can you del the non music one, remove the muxed one fromt eh list and readded it.. through tmx or any other way you can imagine.. you have to remove the non muxed one and restart the server

now there is another issue, where a new track builder changes the track.. like adds somethign like signs cause everyone complained and then trys to readd the same track back with out renaming it. The server just likes to skip those.. doesnt matter if you juke it.. set it next in the remote. which i suppose might use the same functions. they get skipped unless you rename them INSIDE tmn/ not just the file name or restart the server.

i dont know can be a fusterating learning experience.. hope it helps ease someone elses.
Nice thought about this subject even learned me some stuff, thanx a lot cow :-)

Regards
Daniel

Post Reply