ASECO/RASP v0.85 released!

Discuss everything about Xymph's Aseco flavoured server control scripts for TM Forever / classic TMN and for TM² Canyon.

Moderators: Xymph, TM-Patrol

El Fuego
solid chaser
solid chaser
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TM2 C/S

Re: ASECO/RASP v0.85 released!

Post by El Fuego » 30 Oct 2007 16:46

Tracklist file correctly defined, and the tracks are actually where the file says they should be? No typos? (e.g. I notice your path says Asceo rather than Aseco).
Cheers!
.FUEY.
Diary Of A Mad Man

El Fuego
solid chaser
solid chaser

Post by El Fuego » 30 Oct 2007 16:48

@Xymph ... reading the various threads it sounds like you have enough items to warrant a v0.86 release, so I think I'll wait for that before I upgrade again. :)
Cheers!
.FUEY.
Diary Of A Mad Man

cow
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMS, TMO

Post by cow » 30 Oct 2007 17:09

not sure if it is me.. but was the onjoin messages disabled??
so&so from whatsits rank w/e server rank w/e
join me at the music tower
Tet19's MusicTower

Xymph
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMU, TMF, TM²

Post by Xymph » 30 Oct 2007 18:53

cow wrote:not sure if it is me.. but was the onjoin messages disabled??
so&so from whatsits rank w/e server rank w/e
They were not disabled, so it must be you. Left jfreu.player.php or jfreu.plugin.php out of your plugins.xml perhaps?
Developer of XASECO for TMF/TMN ESWC & XASECO2 for TM²: see XAseco.org
Find your way around the Mania community from the TMN ESWC hub, TMF hub, TM² hub, and SM hub

Xymph
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Xymph » 31 Oct 2007 00:50

El Fuego wrote:@Xymph ... reading the various threads it sounds like you have enough items to warrant a v0.86 release, so I think I'll wait for that before I upgrade again. :)
Uhm, yeah, it's starting to add up again, especially since I made more changes/tweaks that I haven't even mentioned here yet. :wink: E.g. a new /list norecent option (guess what it does), saving the track /history between Aseco restarts, an XML parser bug fix, and more. I just don't want to wear people (or myself :lol:) out with too many releases too frequently...

Xymph
Find your way around the Mania community from the TMN ESWC hub, TMF hub, TM² hub, and SM hub

blooper
happy cruiser
happy cruiser
Owned TM-games: TMUF

Post by blooper » 31 Oct 2007 03:13

Xymph wrote:
El Fuego wrote:@Xymph ... reading the various threads it sounds like you have enough items to warrant a v0.86 release, so I think I'll wait for that before I upgrade again. :)
Uhm, yeah, it's starting to add up again, especially since I made more changes/tweaks that I haven't even mentioned here yet. :wink: E.g. a new /list norecent option (guess what it does), saving the track /history between Aseco restarts, an XML parser bug fix, and more. I just don't want to wear people (or myself :lol:) out with too many releases too frequently...

Xymph
Yeah no kidding... I've had to upgrade 4 times and I only have had my server running for a month now. Not that it's a bad thing. :D

It would be great if you made a single config file that would contain all the settings in one location. It would make upgrading a whole lot easier.

And if you need any more ideas to add, just ask me.

El Fuego
solid chaser
solid chaser

Post by El Fuego » 31 Oct 2007 09:06

I don't think a single config file is practical, but I agree that moving parameters out to XML files is appropriate. For example, I don't use the matchsave plugin - I use fufi's version.

I suggest 3 plugins ...

config.xml for the main Aseco stuff
rasp.xml for any RASP plugin settings
matchsave.xml for the matchsave plugin (keep this separate so people using fufi's plugin don't have any issues).
Cheers!
.FUEY.
Diary Of A Mad Man

Xymph
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Xymph » 31 Oct 2007 13:41

El Fuego wrote:I don't think a single config file is practical, but I agree that moving parameters out to XML files is appropriate. For example, I don't use the matchsave plugin - I use fufi's version.

I suggest 3 plugins ...

config.xml for the main Aseco stuff
rasp.xml for any RASP plugin settings
matchsave.xml for the matchsave plugin (keep this separate so people using fufi's plugin don't have any issues).
I agree fewer config files is better, but that few isn't practical either. Let's see, we have:

- plugins.xml (duh)
- config.xml (main settings and messages)
- rasp.xml (RASP messages)
- rasp.settings.php (RASP settings and global data)
- localdatabase.xml (database settings and a few related messages)
- publicdatabase.xml (complement to localdatabase.xml, but obsolete)
- jfreu.config.php (Jfreu settings & messages, need to stay separate)
- matchsave.xml (matchsave settings & messages, need to stay separate)
- plugin.rasp_votes.php (chatvote specific settings and global data)

While the settings in rasp.settings.php could be moved into rasp.xml (at a cost of extra parsing work), the global data just can't be put into an XML file at all. Thus there's little point in changing rasp.settings.php. The same goes for plugin.rasp_votes.php, plus it's easier to understand when all those variables/comments stay in one file.
I also don't think it's wise to merge localdatabase.xml into config.xml or something, considering the still-planned Dedimania plugin, but I'll look at that again when I have a better understanding of how to build it.

So I'm afraid there's little that can be done to reduce the number of config files. I only introduced one new setting inside plugin.uptodate.php (oops) and have now moved that into rasp.settings.php.
blooper wrote:And if you need any more ideas to add, just ask me.
You mean you're holding back on me? :P Come on, let's hear it! :lol:
Xymph

blooper
happy cruiser
happy cruiser

Post by blooper » 31 Oct 2007 18:55

Ok, if the one config file is impractical, what about adding some sort of signifier (like [c] or something) to all the files with settings in them (excluding the xml files, since those are generally all config)? Now THAT seems a bit more practical, unless there's some ultra powerful invisible force preventing you from renaming things. :lol: :mrgreen:

And from now on, I wont hold back any ideas. I just didn't want to over work you. :D I would suggest something now, but I can't remember it at the moment...

Edit:
I remembered what it was. How about integrating the operators plugin by f*ckfish? You could have all the admin commands avalable to the operators and be able to disable the commands in a config file :wink: you don't want them to be able to use. I know that f*ckfish said he would do it, but he says he is too busy at the moment and you seem to want something to work on.

Xymph
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Xymph » 31 Oct 2007 21:18

blooper wrote:Ok, if the one config file is impractical, what about adding some sort of signifier (like [c] or something) to all the files with settings in them (excluding the xml files, since those are generally all config)? Now THAT seems a bit more practical, unless there's some ultra powerful invisible force preventing you from renaming things. :lol: :mrgreen:
Right, all *.xml files are configs. jfreu.config.php is already obviously one too. I decided to rename chat.jfreu.php to jfreu.chat.php though, so that all jfreu.* files are listed together. I could rename rasp.settings.php to rasp.config.php if there are no serious objections, but other than that there's nothing to rename then.

The other thing I've done (since before v0.8 already) and am continuing to do, is to move more message strings from the code into either config.xml or rasp.xml, in order to make customization and localization easier. Right now most error messages are still embedded in the code, as are all admin messages in chat.admin.php and many jukebox messages in plugin.rasp_jukebox.php, but otherwise all relevant messages have now been moved to XML.
blooper wrote:Edit:
I remembered what it was. How about integrating the operators plugin by f*ckfish? You could have all the admin commands avalable to the operators and be able to disable the commands in a config file :wink: you don't want them to be able to use. I know that f*ckfish said he would do it, but he says he is too busy at the moment and you seem to want something to work on.
Yes I saw that, and it's already been in the back of my mind to look into that, because indeed so many 'dangerous' admin commands were added to chat.admin.php since the old v0.7. So I'll put that on my to-do list for after v0.86. I'm still tieing up a few small things, and may be able to fit in a minor request or so, but not a bigger task like that.

Xymph

blooper
happy cruiser
happy cruiser

Post by blooper » 31 Oct 2007 21:56

Xymph wrote:but otherwise all relevant messages have now been moved to XML.
Does that include the jfreu join and leave messages? Those are pretty annoying to configure.

Xymph
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Xymph » 31 Oct 2007 22:17

blooper wrote:
Xymph wrote:but otherwise all relevant messages have now been moved to XML.
Does that include the jfreu join and leave messages? Those are pretty annoying to configure.
Yes they are, but no it doesn't include those. The whole Jfreu plugin subsystem does a lot of things its own "special" way, like never using the established Aseco or Rasp ways to keep messages in a XML file, or storing the admin/vip jfreu.lists.xml file in a jfreu/ subdirectory, and I didn't change much in those files at all.

Overhauling all that would be a separate task, if there's any interest in it.
Xymph