ASeco 395 track limit?

Discuss everything about Xymph's Aseco flavoured server control scripts for TM Forever / classic TMN and for TM² Canyon.

Moderators: Xymph, TM-Patrol

cow
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMS, TMO

ASeco 395 track limit?

Post by cow » 02 Nov 2007 01:20

Took me a while to figure out what was going on.. but if i addd 1 track over 395 aseco locks up.. normaly if aseco doesnt just crash, it will kick everyone out of my server.. server continues like nothing happened.. but peopel cant join.
At first i thought it was just a corrupted track but tested this many times and it is any track over 395..
I can see it happening as when aseco trys to load the next track it loads ""
the server will apear to take for ever to start next race.. if i kill aseco now.. evrything is good and we continue.. if i dont most likely everyone will be booted.

HELP as 394 isnt enough tracks ;)
join me at the music tower
Tet19's MusicTower

Xymph
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMU, TMF, TM²

Re: ASeco 395 track limit?

Post by Xymph » 02 Nov 2007 01:34

cow wrote:Took me a while to figure out what was going on.. but if i addd 1 track over 395 aseco locks up.. normaly if aseco doesnt just crash, it will kick everyone out of my server.. server continues like nothing happened.. but peopel cant join.
At first i thought it was just a corrupted track but tested this many times and it is any track over 395..
I can see it happening as when aseco trys to load the next track it loads ""
the server will apear to take for ever to start next race.. if i kill aseco now.. evrything is good and we continue.. if i dont most likely everyone will be booted.

HELP as 394 isnt enough tracks ;)
I didn't know about that problem as I have "only" 368 tracks on my server. :) But there's no hard-coded track limit in all of Aseco (there was one in /nextmap back in v0.7 but that's been fixed since v0.8 ). So I'm afraid I can't solve this problem right away... I will be adding more tracks to my server that may provoke the problem here too, and then I can try to find the cause, but I'm not just adding any random track so that will take some time. Has anyone else encountered problems with a large number of tracks?

Xymph
Developer of XASECO for TMF/TMN ESWC & XASECO2 for TM²: see XAseco.org
Find your way around the Mania community from the TMN ESWC hub, TMF hub, TM² hub, and SM hub

cow
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Post by cow » 02 Nov 2007 03:05

thought i'd mention.. windows
win aseco "crashes" i mean it goes to time out error which i have at 180 seconds.. i could increase the time but when aseco doesnt crash which is most of the time.. it boots everyone.
Tet19's MusicTower

Mistral
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: tmuf

Post by Mistral » 02 Nov 2007 06:05

Dont remember exactly though, but i had to rewrite some code months ago cuz the gettracklist (or similar) call to the dedicated made it go wild when too much tracks were requested at once. felt like a bug ;)

Xymph
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Xymph » 02 Nov 2007 10:45

Mistral wrote:Dont remember exactly though, but i had to rewrite some code months ago cuz the gettracklist (or similar) call to the dedicated made it go wild when too much tracks were requested at once. felt like a bug ;)
Right, so every time Aseco needs to fetch the entire track list from the server, it does that in chunks of 300 tracks. If it works fine with 368 tracks on my server, I can't imagine why that method would cause a problem on cow's server with 395. In fact it's designed to work with any number of tracks precisely because the list is fetched in reasonably-sized chunks.
cow wrote:thought i'd mention.. windows
win aseco "crashes" i mean it goes to time out error which i have at 180 seconds.. i could increase the time but when aseco doesnt crash which is most of the time.. it boots everyone.
Increasing the script timeout wouldn't make a difference. Its default is 60 seconds and if some operation doesn't complete within that time, it rarely will -- but even if it does, something isn't right as it shouldn't have take that long in the first place.

I'm aware that none of this helps you any further, but that's all I can offer so far.
Xymph
Find your way around the Mania community from the TMN ESWC hub, TMF hub, TM² hub, and SM hub

Mistral
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: tmuf

Post by Mistral » 02 Nov 2007 15:15

Xymph wrote:Right, so every time Aseco needs to fetch the entire track list from the server, it does that in chunks of 300 tracks. If it works fine with 368 tracks on my server, I can't imagine why that method would cause a problem on cow's server with 395. In fact it's designed to work with any number of tracks precisely because the list is fetched in reasonably-sized chunks.
Thats not valid for every ASECO-version ... older versions were getting all tracks at once.

I am not even sure if the original ASECO is using the blockwise transfer or if it was fixed with some RASP release.

Xymph
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Xymph » 02 Nov 2007 18:14

Mistral wrote:
Xymph wrote:Right, so every time Aseco needs to fetch the entire track list from the server, it does that in chunks of 300 tracks. If it works fine with 368 tracks on my server, I can't imagine why that method would cause a problem on cow's server with 395. In fact it's designed to work with any number of tracks precisely because the list is fetched in reasonably-sized chunks.
Thats not valid for every ASECO-version ... older versions were getting all tracks at once.
I am not even sure if the original ASECO is using the blockwise transfer or if it was fixed with some RASP release.
Probably, since chunk-based fetching was already done everywhere in v0.7 except /nextmap, which grabbed only one chunk of 300 tracks (so it didn't work if the current track was beyond #300 in the server's list). I'll take your word for it that it wasn't done block-wise in older versions, but it definitely is being done now in v0.8+.

Xymph

cow
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Post by cow » 02 Nov 2007 19:07

IF at all possible to atleast get comfirmation that it happenes to others..
i could part with some good tracks to get your numbers up..
say the top25 in karma

happens in all version s of aseco.. er since .7 anyways :)
the last thing server trys to do.. er according to council is run my auto time plugin..

When i have a chance, I'll try to recreate the problem using a bare aseco.. it i cant make the problem happen, i will add plugins until it does.
Tet19's MusicTower

slly
road tourist
road tourist
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMN, TMU

Post by slly » 02 Nov 2007 22:14

.. does it still do it w/ auto round timer disabled?

cow
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Post by cow » 02 Nov 2007 23:16

Dont know I'll try.. I'll set up another server so i can break it.
I found some dupes int he list and some crap tracks and got down to 368.. lol yeah same as you xymph
and that leads me to another question.. it was pretty easy to find dupes doing "wall" "speed" "smooth" and "tech".. but there has got to be an easier way.. and if there isnt.. shouldnt there be ;)
Tet19's MusicTower

Xymph
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Xymph » 03 Nov 2007 17:15

cow wrote:Dont know I'll try.. I'll set up another server so i can break it.
I found some dupes int he list and some crap tracks and got down to 368.. lol yeah same as you xymph
and that leads me to another question.. it was pretty easy to find dupes doing "wall" "speed" "smooth" and "tech".. but there has got to be an easier way.. and if there isnt.. shouldnt there be ;)
Hmm... I didn't even know the TMN server would load the same track multiple times into its track list. :o
In the Aseco /add & /admin add code there is a check against adding an existing track, but I guess if you start out with a big pile of downloaded tracks, you can end up with identical tracks that just have different filenames.

I'll add a new /admin command in the next version to list the duplicates so you can then /admin erase them.
Xymph

cow
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Post by cow » 17 Dec 2007 05:04

ok I have filled back up and it's still been happening.
recently move the server to a datacenter with a much better system and redid everythign from scratch.
it appears to be aseco.. as the symptums are slighty differnt now.
when i hit 394 tracks.. aseco sorta dies but doesnt kill the server like it used to on my system.
no aseco commands work.. everyone playing is reduced to blank names
it will say >>>>> gained the 1 local record... but all the names will be blank.. and aseco sorta thinks they are all the same person.. real recs appear gone but say when one person gets 1st and then i do.. it will say i secured first..
very odd
very repeatible
very annoying.
Tet19's MusicTower

Xymph
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by Xymph » 17 Dec 2007 23:20

I hadn't forgotten about this thread, I just didn't have a chance to test it sooner. I have 382 tracks in my main server, but also recently set up a test server for coding, and here I piled on a bunch of extra tracks, first up to 395 and then beyond to 402. Nothing unusual happened, Aseco continued to function normally, responding to commands, storing records, etc.etc. Of course this server had a near-empty database, so I then dumped the database of my main server (23xxx players, 64xxx records, nearly 600000 rs_times entries... plenty of data) and loaded that on the test server, and again everything continued to function normally with the v0.91 release (plus a few things I built for the next release).

So I'm afraid I can't help you with this problem, I can only speculate it has to do with the particular combination of tracks you're running, or with all the extra stuff you've added to your Aseco.

cow
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Post by cow » 04 Jan 2008 05:22

crazy, i even tried it on a bare bones aseco(aseco and rasp only).. several machines and a new install of the server software.
But thanks for the effort.. if aseco didnt crash the instant you went over 394.. then it has to be somethign weird with me.. I'm guessing a corrupted track or something.
I'll let peeps know if i figure it out as it is driving me nuts right now.
Tet19's MusicTower

MadMax01
cyclist
cyclist
Owned TM-games: TMN,TMU,TMNF,TMUF

Post by MadMax01 » 19 May 2008 22:50

wow thats weird cow, on my server {USI}RoadHouse. i have well over 425, and i havent seen no problem on my xaseco. all of my functions/plugins are working just fine.