[REQ] Streamplayer + Local Records

Onyx with its NyxServer is a plugin container written in java. Nyx plugins are simple javascript text files and can be added and removed on the fly. Some plugins: TMX, Dedimania, NextMapInfo, CopperDonation and many more.

Moderators: PaGaisu, Vegeta, TM-Patrol

FragLesS
cyclist
cyclist
Owned TM-games: TMO,TMF,TMUF

[REQ] Streamplayer + Local Records

Post by FragLesS » 07 Jul 2008 22:37

Heyho everybody,

I'm just new @ tmf dedicated topics, so please don't hate me if i ask something dumb :roll:

ok first of all: My original nickname is WolFree.. but this board say to me, that some rude words are in it :Y plz fix. Thx. ^^

Here's my Request:

I need a module for Onyx3 which record LOCAL records, not dedimania records. Sb can do this or sb know a module for this?

And my second modulerequest:

I am owner of a webradio (www.skyhappy-radio.de) and want to stream over the server. The module should overwrite/disable the mapmusic and play that stream (it's an mp3 stream, in worst case I can do it in ogg, but would be hard to build).

Thanks in advance and I hope sb can help me ;)

f*ckfish
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: TMNF, TMUF

Re: [REQ] Streamplayer + Local Records

Post by f*ckfish » 07 Jul 2008 23:05

The streaming stuff is impossible unfortunately. The game client has to fully download a music file before being able to play it at the next map. And the most important thing is: it's unable to handle streaming files, only plain .ogg or .mux. In which format you encode your radio stream is irrelevant in this case. Although the client decodes ogg, it is just not able to handle the streaming technology. Have a look at XASECO's musicserver plugin to see what's possible.
inactive, sorry

FragLesS
cyclist
cyclist

Post by FragLesS » 07 Jul 2008 23:17

Hmm... but Onyx works as an independent program next to the dedicated. I thought, it would be possible to handle an external player (like 0815 windows mediaplayer) to handle this. I'm not a fan of ASECO, thats why I don't take a look on it.

Perhaps sb else has an idea to this.

f*ckfish
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by f*ckfish » 08 Jul 2008 10:03

FragLesS wrote:Hmm... but Onyx works as an independent program next to the dedicated. I thought, it would be possible to handle an external player (like 0815 windows mediaplayer) to handle this. I'm not a fan of ASECO, thats why I don't take a look on it.

Perhaps sb else has an idea to this.
Interesting thought, but you should keep in mind, that onyx itself is only running one one machine: the server. The communication chain is [Controller (server machine or remote machine)]<->[Dedicated Server(server machine)]<->[Game Client(player pc)]. So the game client can only process stuff coming from the TM dedicated server and this communication is limited to the functionality NADEO implemented. Of course you could write a java music player as a plugin for ONYX (at least I think so) but this would only concern the machine where ONYX is running since there is no way to send this application to the client machine.
inactive, sorry

FragLesS
cyclist
cyclist

Post by FragLesS » 08 Jul 2008 10:20

Okay, in case that a direct plugin is not possible. What about a Manialink viewing a player? I saw sth like this in RCP Live, but not rly functional, at least i think it uses the ingame player functions, but i'm not sure.

What about an java program, that should work like this:

Input Stream -> Cutting in 5 sec peaces -> send as ogg to the server

That should work, shouldn't it? In case that this work, you have "only" to set that peaces, which are sended to the client, in length to 0,5secs and you should have a good possibility to stream.
Sry for my bad engl, but hope you understand it.

PaGaisu
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by PaGaisu » 08 Jul 2008 10:23

For the local records, koko is preparing a full system and the local records will be included on it.

For the streamplayer, it s only possible if all the player got Onyx on their machine but that s a good idea indeed.
There is a need of a module streamServer and a module streamClient for all the players.

FragLesS
cyclist
cyclist

Post by FragLesS » 08 Jul 2008 10:27

Thanks for that answer :) I'll take a look on it at my freetime.

Thanks

f*ckfish
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by f*ckfish » 08 Jul 2008 10:38

FragLesS wrote:Okay, in case that a direct plugin is not possible. What about a Manialink viewing a player? I saw sth like this in RCP Live, but not rly functional, at least i think it uses the ingame player functions, but i'm not sure.

What about an java program, that should work like this:

Input Stream -> Cutting in 5 sec peaces -> send as ogg to the server

That should work, shouldn't it? In case that this work, you have "only" to set that peaces, which are sended to the client, in length to 0,5secs and you should have a good possibility to stream.
Sry for my bad engl, but hope you understand it.
Okay, so from what I understand you're thinking of repeatedly sending manialinks to the clients with little ogg-chunks that should add up to one stream in the end? This is impossible because the xml-rpc and the whole controller technology is not reliable when it comes to time-critical tasks. An example: you send the first manialink with an url to the first chunk to 50 players. The first player may get it after 0.5 seconds and the last one after 10 seconds since he's got problems with his wireless lan. Now the clients start downloading the chunk and it will begin to play at a different moment on every pc depending on how long it took to download the chunk. Now the controller has to send the second chunk via manialink. But when should that be done? There is no indication at all whether the clients are already playing the first one or even have received the first manialink yet. Also player 50 may have a wonderful wireless lan connection at this moment so he doesn't have this 10 second lag anymore. Now the procedure goes on all over again. The timing lags can not be determined in a safe and reliable way, so this is plain impossible.
inactive, sorry

kokofix
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: TMO / TMS / TMU
Manialink(s): teamvip

Post by kokofix » 08 Jul 2008 12:30

This is the future ViPSystem for Onyx3.
if you want to test this, contact me at "koko AT teamvip DOT fr"

Many Screens

FragLesS
cyclist
cyclist

Post by FragLesS » 08 Jul 2008 22:56

Nice screens koko, you got an email from me.

Fish, you understand my idea right. So you think, that it is impossible because of the latency? But technically it is possible to make this?

In case I decrease the Quality of that stream, the packages become smaller, so there is less to download.

What about if I make a 5 Sec delay? A Calculating of 5 sec:

5 secs @ 128kb/s mp3: 80kilobytes;
5 secs @ 64kb/s mp3: 40 kilobytes;
5 secs @ 32kb/s mp3: 20kilobytes

With OGG as a codec it would be smaller than the MP3 Peaces.

Do you rly think, that the latency would be to hard for that idea?

f*ckfish
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by f*ckfish » 09 Jul 2008 01:37

FragLesS wrote:Do you rly think, that the latency would be to hard for that idea?
Yes, unfortunately I'm realy sure that you won't even be able to match 2 chunks correctly so that the player would think they belong together. Also the shorter you make the chunks the more often you'll have to send manialinks and from what I experienced in my programming, that issue can easily crash the server.
But well, maybe at some time NADEO will implement streaming functionality.
It's a nice idea from PaGaisu to code a streaming client, but you'll have to keep in mind that this client still has to be downloaded manually by each of your players that wants to listen to your webradio. But since everyone already has got some kind of media player on his Windows, wouldn't it be easier just to run this existing player in the background which just plays your stream? You could use a manialink or the player chat to give the url to your stream to your players.
Last edited by f*ckfish on 09 Jul 2008 10:32, edited 1 time in total.
inactive, sorry

PaGaisu
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by PaGaisu » 09 Jul 2008 08:54

I think f*ckfish is right on this. I m pretty sure there will be some latencies between 2 chunks of data.
And i guess the player can prevent the download of this data by disabling the P2P. Also we have the problem of limitation of the cache size.

What i will do if i were you will be to give a shoutcast stream link as soon as a player connects your server. So he can click on it and it will open winamp.

FragLesS
cyclist
cyclist

Post by FragLesS » 09 Jul 2008 21:39

Okay, thanks for your tipps.

So, last question for this: The possibility to launch the windows media player out of trackmania with a medialink is not possible right?

f*ckfish
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by f*ckfish » 10 Jul 2008 15:06

FragLesS wrote:Okay, thanks for your tipps.

So, last question for this: The possibility to launch the windows media player out of trackmania with a medialink is not possible right?
It depends, if the streaming file extension is associated to the media player, it will open automatically, just like when you click a streaming link in a webbrowser.
inactive, sorry

FragLesS
cyclist
cyclist

Post by FragLesS » 15 Jul 2008 13:10

Sry, I was on a holidaytrip. ^^

How is it possible to open that link (I have an .asx playlist which is automatically linked to wmp since wmp9) ? And in the same step, to disable the mapmusic IF wmp open?