Is illegal or legal to ban them

Here's the place to discuss anything related to TMF ladder ranking, special "ladder servers", rank limit rules and possible issues you might have with this system.

Moderator: TM-Patrol

jamie_macdonald
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TMNF, TMS
Manialink(s): ET

Re: Is illegal or legal to ban them

Post by jamie_macdonald » 19 Feb 2010 14:58

i will repeat that banning is allowed, blacklisting is not.

Obviously you should only use this in extreme measures, ie: tried a silence, repeated warnings etc.

A ban is allowed in the rules but a blacklist is prohibited on ladder servers. It really is that simple.

I also agree that if someone is that bad an admin they ban you for no major reason and withought warning you should complain, make screenshots and report to a ladder mod. or alternatively find a freindlier place to drive, there are many servers after all.

The rules on the Registering page do state it pretty clearly "No blacklisting".

nocturne
solid chaser
solid chaser
Owned TM-games: all

Post by nocturne » 20 Feb 2010 14:59

Well, a blacklisting is not a whole lot different than a banning.. I actually feel a banning is worse, as it blocks by ip and clientid also.

As I said before, the main concern of mine would using it as a method to control access to ranked servers. Watching the sunday races, it becomes pretty obvious pretty fast that there are only a few RoC servers that players actually want to play on. Imagine if one of these popular servers started banning without any reasonable excuse, with the intended effect to be limiting the few slots available to those in their 'inner circle'. It'd be tmn all over again...

Of course, don't expect a Nadeo position any time soon.. They are wise enough to stay out of every petty little squabble. :roflol:

jamie_macdonald
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol

Post by jamie_macdonald » 22 Feb 2010 12:17

nocturne wrote:Well, a blacklisting is not a whole lot different than a banning.. I actually feel a banning is worse, as it blocks by ip and clientid also.

As I said before, the main concern of mine would using it as a method to control access to ranked servers. Watching the sunday races, it becomes pretty obvious pretty fast that there are only a few RoC servers that players actually want to play on. Imagine if one of these popular servers started banning without any reasonable excuse, with the intended effect to be limiting the few slots available to those in their 'inner circle'. It'd be tmn all over again...

Of course, don't expect a Nadeo position any time soon.. They are wise enough to stay out of every petty little squabble. :roflol:
the IP banning has nothing to do with nadeo's software. When i say a "ban" i of course mean by nadeo's client version, other software is irrelevant when you quote the rules.

Of course people should take into account the software they use ... thats like their "own problem" not nadeo's ^^

Bueddl
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMU/N(F)

Post by Bueddl » 17 Mar 2010 14:12

Its just simple to understand...
banning for bad reasons isn't allowed. Banning someone cause of his language is a bad reason, so a ban is illegal in this case. Regarding the RoC Servers an the ladderservers as well.
Ignoring them isn't okay either for me, cause I simply see no reason for this. Remember this is a game. Not more, not less. Especially on RoC servers I won't agree with ignoring them..on normal ladderserver, I am okay with that..
So, thats just as I handle it, don't know, what the other moderators do in such a case...

jamie_macdonald
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol

Post by jamie_macdonald » 18 Mar 2010 16:17

Bueddl wrote:Its just simple to understand...
banning for bad reasons isn't allowed. Banning someone cause of his language is a bad reason, so a ban is illegal in this case. Regarding the RoC Servers an the ladderservers as well.
Ignoring them isn't okay either for me, cause I simply see no reason for this. Remember this is a game. Not more, not less. Especially on RoC servers I won't agree with ignoring them..on normal ladderserver, I am okay with that..
So, thats just as I handle it, don't know, what the other moderators do in such a case...
I have "ignored" at least 3 in ET|Roc over the last year, mainly people that flame relentlessly with bad language and complaints about the RoC system itself (after all what is the point at moanign at a server admin about the game rules?).

I would prefer to silence a driver than to ban them ...least they can do what the server is there for then ... that is of course .. racing :thumbsup:

I of course after time clear the "ignore list" (as well as the ban list) as i feel after time the person(s) infringing on the rules and common sense of a server would i guess stop behaving likethey did the 1st time around.

So basically punish in the way you see fit (some of us have different methods) but be prepared to forgive and let them try again ...that's at least how i see it.

Bueddl
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by Bueddl » 20 Mar 2010 09:12

jamie_macdonald wrote: [...]
So basically punish in the way you see fit (some of us have different methods) but be prepared to forgive and let them try again ...that's at least how i see it.
Absolutly right. I am fine with this and I think it's a good way ;)
Just remember, that this is a game^^

GAS.Panos
happy cruiser
happy cruiser
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TMNF, TM2

Post by GAS.Panos » 20 Mar 2010 12:56

+1 Jamie.
Totally agree with you !

Bueddl
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by Bueddl » 29 Mar 2010 08:07

ЭΛ GAS〄尹मภô乌ジ® wrote:+1 Jamie.
Totally agree with you !
Yeah, but please still remember at anytime, that this is a game ;) Yes, even in a game are rules to follow, but don't be too hard punishing them. I am not okay with permenent bans, but with ones given for one week or at maximum for two weeks. Is someone does not stop breaking rules after several temporary bans, I also would be okay to ban him for a longer period, but not for permanent...

Cheers :1
Bueddl

GAS.Panos
happy cruiser
happy cruiser
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TMNF, TM2

Post by GAS.Panos » 29 Mar 2010 16:04

Also I totally agree with you Bueddl :) Personally, I have never banned or kicked anyone from my team's RoC. In very hard situations, like talking way too much, spamming or even swearing especially during RoC race, I silence them for a bit (some minutes) to calm down. Also in cases that someone bans (based on serious reasons) in a RoC server, my personal opinion is to unban them after the end of the RoC race.

Bueddl
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by Bueddl » 02 Apr 2010 22:07

ЭΛ GAS〄尹मภô乌ジ® wrote:Also I totally agree with you Bueddl :) Personally, I have never banned or kicked anyone from my team's RoC. In very hard situations, like talking way too much, spamming or even swearing especially during RoC race, I silence them for a bit (some minutes) to calm down. Also in cases that someone bans (based on serious reasons) in a RoC server, my personal opinion is to unban them after the end of the RoC race.
Absolutly aggree ;)