New Block Editor Physics

Discuss anticipation, facts and video's of the newly announced Trackmania 2 game!

Moderators: Alinoa, TM-Patrol

Demented
road tourist
road tourist
Owned TM-games: ALL

New Block Editor Physics

Post by Demented » 22 Sep 2009 15:08

I am wondering...
With this new block editor, we can create any shaped blocks we want, add any textures to them, but can we assign physics to these imported blocks as well?
IE: Create a block that is Road, Gravel, Dirt, Snow, Ice, Sand, Mud, Wet Road, Water or Grass etc... and have the car react to it respectively. Allowing custom grip for custom blocks.
It could be a simple grip or traction scale from 1 to 10 giving blocks more realism.

Makikou
sunday driver
sunday driver
Owned TM-games: TMO,TMSX,TMNF,TMUF

Re: New Block Editor Physics

Post by Makikou » 22 Sep 2009 16:03

All i want to do is being able to reconstruct Spa-Francorchamps in Valley :P

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMNF, TMUF
Manialink(s): zooz

Post by Zooz » 22 Sep 2009 17:01

I guess there might be a few predefined surface types as in TMF environments (road, dirt, grass and the roof glass for stadium), but being able to assign any physics would just be a mess and make driving impossible, since you never know how the car will react.

budd
happy cruiser
happy cruiser
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMNF, TMUF

Post by budd » 22 Sep 2009 18:44

yes, it can get annoying if your car bumps into a wooden pole the size of a toothpick and bounces of it like it was a concrete wall.

so i guess there will have to be some limits in creating costume blocks, maybe those blocks will be created by nadeo and will be avaliable for download??

endless possibilities ^^

Alter-Fox
sunday driver
sunday driver
Owned TM-games: TMUF TMO TMS

Post by Alter-Fox » 22 Sep 2009 20:00

Maybe the physics of a surface will depend on the texture you give that surface? e.g. a car driving over a grass texture will respond as if it's driving over grass. I know of several games that do this.
Friend and ally to cats of all stripes, whether I like it or not. :)
Check out my original music @ https://vertigofox.bandcamp.com or look for Vertigo Fox on soundcloud and in other places.

Snowy
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator
Owned TM-games: TMUF

Post by Snowy » 22 Sep 2009 20:06

Would the block designer be in-game (like having a 3D block editor, where you can load up template block and then manipulate it by dragging vertices around or similar), or would it require the use of a 3D program like Maya, 3DMax, XSI, Lightwave etc.?

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMNF, TMUF
Manialink(s): zooz

Post by Zooz » 22 Sep 2009 23:03

Importing 3d models has been mentioned, and I doubt they implemented a full 3d editor in TM2... Maybe something simple though since it's such a main feature it seems, we'll see.

otmb;ripbox
swift roadking
swift roadking
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMO, TMS

Post by otmb;ripbox » 22 Sep 2009 23:05

well i do hope Nadeo police the block to be added, id hate for TM to become very sloppy and messy cos some n00b thinks its fun to have an un-derivable road piece
* Core 2 Quad Q6600
* Abit IN9 32 MAX Motherboard
* 8 GB OCZ 4GB PC2-6400 nVIDIA SLI-Ready Edition (4X2GB)
* AMP! GeForce GTX 260² 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 x 1
* 150GB Raptor HDD
* 500GB Caviar HDD
* Vista Ultimate x64
* Thermaltake W0133RB 1200W PSU

Kakkoii
happy cruiser
happy cruiser
Owned TM-games: TMU & TMO

Post by Kakkoii » 22 Sep 2009 23:24

otmb;ripbox wrote:well i do hope Nadeo police the block to be added, id hate for TM to become very sloppy and messy cos some n00b thinks its fun to have an un-derivable road piece
Why would they need to police it?

Just don't add those noob tracks to your server.. Simple as that lol. If it's a crappy track, people aren't going to keep it on their servers. At least not the popular servers.
Come visit our server
Tet19 Music Tower

rockchef
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator

Post by rockchef » 23 Sep 2009 00:30

One way of doing it is like Rfactor ie textures like grass dirt rough grass tarmac are the items
that correspond to a specified terain defination file which then tell the game engine what attributes that area of the mesh should have and as long as we modders know the texture names that can be used ie grassa grasrx dustyberms roada.

Then the terrain defination file can be encrypted within the trackmania exe.
Then inconsistacies can be eliminated :)
The time of the hippy is near again

The Doctor
road tourist
road tourist
Owned TM-games: United and TMN

Post by The Doctor » 23 Sep 2009 01:58

Custom blocks? Interesting idea. But what I really want to know will there be the ability to select multiple blocks and move or copy them or create a group out of them?

Kakkoii
happy cruiser
happy cruiser
Owned TM-games: TMU & TMO

Post by Kakkoii » 23 Sep 2009 02:23

The Doctor wrote:Custom blocks? Interesting idea. But what I really want to know will there be the ability to select multiple blocks and move or copy them or create a group out of them?

viewtopic.php?f=136&t=23012
pod.CameuZze wrote:Oh I forgot:

-Ability to move a group of complete block, see the map itself. (orientation of the sun etc.)
And attention, you can copy and paste a block with its teramorphing, ie a block annoying to place can move further with the terramorphing that goes with it, nice!
Come visit our server
Tet19 Music Tower

Demented
road tourist
road tourist

Post by Demented » 23 Sep 2009 12:34

Zooz wrote:I guess there might be a few predefined surface types as in TMF environments (road, dirt, grass and the roof glass for stadium), but being able to assign any physics would just be a mess and make driving impossible, since you never know how the car will react.
That's what I mean by assigning physics to a block. Not a complete physics change for the environment whenever you hit a new block but simply the traction for a block like they have now. Maybe you could choose from about ten defferent ground textures then each have their own traction ranging from super slippery (ice) up to a real high traction (blacktop).

Demented
road tourist
road tourist

Post by Demented » 23 Sep 2009 12:55

Snowy wrote:Would the block designer be in-game (like having a 3D block editor, where you can load up template block and then manipulate it by dragging vertices around or similar)?
I think this would be an excellent way to manipulate blocks. I've used track editors that work this way before and they give you a lot of possabilities. Also using vector points or verticies still allows a track file size to be kept quite small as all that needs to be saved is a few construction points and texture types. This adds up to only a few bytes.

Demented
road tourist
road tourist

Post by Demented » 23 Sep 2009 13:38

I assume blocks will also be able to be defined as Track pieces or Decoration pieces.
Just being able to add buildings, trees, bushes, rocks, boats and stuff would be cool.