What would be your first custom block?

Discuss anticipation, facts and video's of the newly announced Trackmania 2 game!

Moderators: Alinoa, TM-Patrol

metoxys
road tourist
road tourist
Owned TM-games: O,SX,N,NF,U,UF,DS
Manialink(s): metoxys

Re: What would be your first custom block?

Post by metoxys » 12 Feb 2010 10:58

I would learn how to make oversize blocks and then make a block which has the same size of the whole environment which contains, if you drive it, an awesome press forward track o.O

meto

PS: I agree with TStarGermany, +1
United TMX nickname: metoxys
Online login: metoxys
Manialink: metoxyscolor>

Get Dropbox
Get TrackMania

dom_i_nik
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMNF, TMUF

Post by dom_i_nik » 04 Mar 2010 16:47

Offroad turbo block :roflol: XD
Idea is idea and I have no idea about idea.
Accept the true
Your trails are actually blue.

Woutertje
cyclist
cyclist
Owned TM-games: Every game.

Post by Woutertje » 15 Mar 2010 07:03

otmb;ripbox wrote:
Would that be Live Cam?? place a make on the map from the billboard settings to show racers live feed of what others are doing
foe example place billboard at start line then place live cam feed at a point in the track i.e a loop or corner so that the players at the start can watch others race that section?

i think this could be a great idea
I think so. BTW i saw a vid of TMWii and i saw a billboard on a inflatable. There was the car moving past the track on!
So yes, this is gonna be in the game!!! :D :D :D

Its around the grass parts at the track and some in that white bowl-thing. Look good at the white bowl, its not good visible. Or pause it.

Woutertje.
My old signature was awful, so i removed it.

Mikey
happy cruiser
happy cruiser

Post by Mikey » 06 Apr 2010 03:09

I'm highly sceptical of custom blocks being a part of TM2. Can you imagine a server with 50 players with a track that inludes only one single custom block of a moderatly small 2mb size ? It would be a 100mb upload for the server to start the race ! not to mention difficulties with player downloads and waiting for a synchronised start.
I consider it much more likely TM2 will include customizable blocks. Where an existing block can be modified (by storing of numeric data in the track file) changing its paramters. So a ramp/jump could have adjustable height or curves and slopes can be maniuplated. Maybe customer textures could be applied. but not custom 3d models.

metoxys
road tourist
road tourist

Post by metoxys » 07 Apr 2010 14:09

Mikey wrote:Maybe customer textures could be applied. but not custom 3d models.
Custom textures ARE applied in every TM and it's called "Mod".

Get Dropbox
Get TrackMania

Woutertje
cyclist
cyclist
Owned TM-games: Every game.

Post by Woutertje » 08 Apr 2010 16:03

metoxys wrote:
Hmm, maybe Mikey means if you could apply different textures to the same sort of block.
For example: First roadpiece gets texture one. Then after that roadpiece follows just the same block, but with texture two.
That would be awesome!
Maybe it would be nice if you could import a track from another game and add clips to it.
Or you could split them up to create your own sort of track.
So then you could split Aquatica from NFS4 and create a endless underwater tunnel :roflol:

Wouter
My old signature was awful, so i removed it.

metoxys
road tourist
road tourist

Post by metoxys » 08 Apr 2010 16:31

Woutertje wrote:Oops threedouble post.
Im sorry.
wtf
So...
Yeah, your idea would be grrreat, I'd like to see that :)

Get Dropbox
Get TrackMania

MrA
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: ALL

Post by MrA » 09 Apr 2010 17:17

I hope that if we have custom blocks that these will be more accessable and smaller to download than usual 3D models with locators....

I think of having a smaller standard block set per environemnt, but with the ability to twist, rotate, stretch, morph and mutate and mix what there is so that the number of blocks you can end up with becomes as 'infinite' as the number of tracks are now.

Either that, or blocks themselves would be built from smaller parts in a in-game block-editor (lets say like lego). Save these and add these to your track editor for using in your tracks and then when you save the track you can also include the data that TM needs for the custom blocks. Not sure how to start off? Then load in an existing block and start modifying that. Maybe it would be possible to import custom block sets made by others which would then work in your editor.

But becuase it wouldnt be true 3D modelling it would be small files and more accessable.

So unlike everyone else, I think true 3D modelling for blocks would not be the best way to go, even if it doesnt allow quite so total freedom in what you can create.
Intel Core 2 Extreme Quad-Core QX6700, 2.66GHz
4GB (4x1Gb) 1066MHz Corsair TwinX DDR2 XMS2 Dominator
640MB XFX 8800GTS Extreme XXX
Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro
Vista Home Premium 32Bit

xis101
happy cruiser
happy cruiser
Owned TM-games: TMUF
Manialink(s): gn

Post by xis101 » 09 Apr 2010 17:29

MrA wrote:So unlike everyone else, I think true 3D modelling for blocks would not be the best way to go, even if it doesnt allow quite so total freedom in what you can create.
you are right. If you have not the best internet connection you have to wait a long time to load all custom blocks. So, how would rounds mode work?

Either: Everyone has to wait at the start until everyone has loaded every block. zzzZZZzzz....minutes later.....and then start.
Or: You can drive when you have loaded all blocks. So, the one with the fastest connection will start first and win the round.

I think both are not practicable.

Mikey
happy cruiser
happy cruiser

Post by Mikey » 10 Apr 2010 05:39

MrA wrote: So unlike everyone else, I think true 3D modelling for blocks would not be the best way to go,
Yeah thats what i was trying to convey, It would not be the best way to go, And I think nadeo know this, thats why I'm skeptical true custom 3D blocks will be included.
Its more practiacal for an online game to use a method for customizable blocks to reduce track filesizes to a realistically usable size, Wether by customising paramters of an existing block, or like MrA suggests building a customized block from smaller building pieces (like lego) that are an internal to the game.
metoxys wrote:
Mextoxys ?? read the whole paragraph not the last sentence. And to point out the obvious to you, Mods are created external to the game and are applied to an enviroment, not selectively to a block of choice. Actually this too does already exist by the painter for signs etc,(Just letting you know in advance incase you try to point it out to me) but true that is only applicable to a select few blocks.
So I reiterate that I hope there are not 3D custom models for custom blocks. But there are customizable blocks by some method (that keeps files small) and that part of a customizable blocks would be "Maybe customer textures could be applied" just like the current ingame painter but applicatble to those blocks that are customizable (maybe even all blocks)

Kakkoii
happy cruiser
happy cruiser
Owned TM-games: TMU & TMO

Post by Kakkoii » 10 Apr 2010 23:07

Mikey wrote:I'm highly sceptical of custom blocks being a part of TM2. Can you imagine a server with 50 players with a track that inludes only one single custom block of a moderatly small 2mb size ? It would be a 100mb upload for the server to start the race ! not to mention difficulties with player downloads and waiting for a synchronised start.
I consider it much more likely TM2 will include customizable blocks. Where an existing block can be modified (by storing of numeric data in the track file) changing its paramters. So a ramp/jump could have adjustable height or curves and slopes can be maniuplated. Maybe customer textures could be applied. but not custom 3d models.
It depends on how they store the model information. If it's in polygonal form, then yeah it could end up taking a lot of space, but that's also what your cache folder is for, so you don't need to download it every time. A one time download of a large track isn't that bad as a trade off for the immense customization made possible.

If they make the block editing using NURBS, then it would allow for a very small file size. Then when the track is loaded the NURBS are converted to polygons which are then crunched by your GPU :)

Although, polygons still wouldn't be too bad as long as people weren't trying to make super smooth objects.
An OBJ file with 4 objects totaling 1600 polygons is still only 220KB. And the same, but with 100270 polygons is only 15MB. That's way more than most people would need to use in their tracks, even with an entirely custom blocks track.
Come visit our server
Tet19 Music Tower

isamu
road tourist
road tourist

Post by isamu » 16 May 2010 18:33

solix wrote:I would build an underwater glass tunel, where you can see the see.
I would also build a train station set...
That would be awesome! Do you guys think that the environments themselves will be modifiable? Like the scenery and whatnot?
Woutertje wrote:
metoxys wrote:
Hmm, maybe Mikey means if you could apply different textures to the same sort of block.
For example: First roadpiece gets texture one. Then after that roadpiece follows just the same block, but with texture two.
That would be awesome!
Maybe it would be nice if you could import a track from another game and add clips to it.
Or you could split them up to create your own sort of track.
So then you could split Aquatica from NFS4 and create a endless underwater tunnel :roflol:

Wouter

Man your ideas are awesome! Let's hope these things are possible. I would LOVE to see an underwater tunnel akin to the one found in the beginner stage of Sega's SuperGT arcade game(the one that never made it home). Oh and any type of F-ZeroGX elements are certainly welcomed :)

Trackmaniack
solid chaser
solid chaser
Owned TM-games: All

Post by Trackmaniack » 17 May 2010 13:33

Why is everyone so insistent on totally rewiring trackmania? It's great as it is...sure, something like Cyberdrive would be nice...but at least those things still had wheels. F-Zero would be a COMPLETE departure from the TM series as we know it.
Cruisin' through life, TM-Style!