What ManiaScript functions would you like to see?

Discuss anticipation, facts and video's of the newly announced Trackmania 2 game!

Moderators: Alinoa, TM-Patrol

hpbifta
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

What ManiaScript functions would you like to see?

Post by hpbifta » 17 Oct 2009 05:18

Ok so here`s a part of TM2 we know will exist and know almost nothing about except that it can handle MT functions and control the in-game sun.

So my question is What functions do you want, What sort of commands would you like to see, what would you like to achieve with this upcoming new development in the game.

If possible give an idea of what it does, what parameters it may need and if you are feeling especially clever an example of how you think it would look like in use.

Here`s a few simple ones to get you started.

I personaly hope there are proper If...Then...Else functions with proper comparisons and Boolean operators (and,not,or,xor etc) with access to variables like current_lap and car_speed and race_time etc. (I`ve used my own names for the variables , I have NO idea what internal variables Nadeo are going to let us near yet.)

I would also like to have the ability to change the skins on signs depending upon operator results eg..

// example to change a sign to say "SLOW DOWN" if the player is going faster than 350Kmh or just say "Caution" if going slower.
[
IF car_speed > 350
change_sign_skin (sign16,TMX/BD-Slow.zip)
ELSE change_sign_skin (sign16,TMX/BD-Caution.zip);
]

or

// example to make a sign switch from turn Left at next Y junction on lap 1 to turn right at the same Y junction on lap 2.
[
IF current_lap == 1
change_sign_skin (sign4,TMX/GN-Y_Left_1.zip)
ELSE change_sign_skin (sign4,TMX/GN-Y_Right_1.zip);
]

or how about the ability to change a block.

// example to turn a normal road block @position x13,y,7,z20,r1 into a yellow boost block for 10 seconds if the player is going too slow.
[
IF car_speed <= 200
change_block (Valley_road(13,7,20,1),Valley_road_boost(13,7,20,1),1000)
]

What ideas do you lot have?

tcq
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Re: What ManiaScript functions would you like to see?

Post by tcq » 17 Oct 2009 11:15

Would be cool if it will be possible to do some aspect-oriented programming, with nice wrapper classes and so.

Gekko
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: ALL

Post by Gekko » 17 Oct 2009 11:46

As i already told in another post....

The features i hope:

1) Transparent BIK ingame (so i can publish realtime weather, time, cockpits and wipers on rain and snow already done)
2) If the game will have no free version, i hope all environements can be mixed
3) Car 3D skins for all (if TM2 version is divided in 1 free and 1 complete)
4) Avatar free for all (if TM2 version is divided in 1 free and 1 complete)
5) Dedicated servers "GetPlayerKilometers" method
6) Dedicated servers "GetPlayerSpeedOnCheckpoint" method
7) A more efficient <entry> maniacode without GET and POST on php external page that return with a callback (so i can publish my OS for TM similar to DOS)
and more i don't remember now...

:gobananas:

w1lla
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMN, TMF
Manialink(s): intr

Post by w1lla » 17 Oct 2009 12:23

quick building of a manialink. We have manialib but alot of people dont know how to use it.

manialib link:

http://code.google.com/p/manialib/

Code: Select all

tmnforever is nations and united makes it special. tmnforever has united. I need united!

hpbifta
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by hpbifta » 17 Oct 2009 15:10

@ gekko and w1lla, most of what you have said isn`t ManiaScript, it`s either features or ManiaCode which are different from what I can tell. ManiaCode is for things like ManiaLinks and server management,. ManiaScript will be code which will directly affect the game world/environment the player is racing in, the only possible ManiaScript I can see in your suggestions was in Gekko`s and that was the ability to manage Alpha_blended .bik files. This actually would be a nice function..

you could use this function with a piece of script which could look something like this I suppose,

[
on_race start [ // At start of race do as follows;
FnDefaultCam; // Call function which defines the default player camera and renders Wndscreen wipers;
END;
]
Def FnDefaultCam [ // Define default Camera function;
Force_player_view (cam 3); // Force the player into In car camera;
render_bik (Wipers.bik((ScreenResX/4),(ScreenResY/4),(ScreenResX-(ScreenResX/2)),(ScreenResY-(ScreenResY/4)),1);
// The above line would Render and scale an animated Bik into the rough position for wipers on screen (a quarter in from each side and the top, and half way up from the bottom with a switch to allow transparencies;
];
];

This is the sort thought I would like to see in this thread, and also the most useful for Nadeo to look at, from this sort of thing they can start to understand what we would like to see from this powerful new function in their upcoming masterpiece. It`s all supposition and prayers at the moment so don`t be afraid to give your own examples of what you think ManiaScript could look like.

w1lla
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMN, TMF
Manialink(s): intr

Post by w1lla » 17 Oct 2009 16:10

French board:
http://www.trackmania.com/fr/forum/view ... cf459454ab

Translation:
http://translate.google.com/translate?j ... ry_state0=

Maniascript is Manialink and Mediatracker as supposedly so Nadeo can use 2 ways for it.

Code: Select all

tmnforever is nations and united makes it special. tmnforever has united. I need united!

hpbifta
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by hpbifta » 17 Oct 2009 16:20

Ok thats cool, could be interesting. Though I admit I personally would rather know what sort of ingame functions that players will actually see and notice more than esoteric bits and pieces behind the scenes that they never will. though they all have their uses.

otmb;ripbox
swift roadking
swift roadking
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMO, TMS

Post by otmb;ripbox » 17 Oct 2009 18:39

Tell you what id like to see, not sore if mania scrip will help with this but..... anyway i want instead of pressing * and getting rid of everything off the screen i want to be able to chose what i do and dont want I.e speedo On, lap times off ect

I also like the sound of Def FnDefaultCam [ // Define default Camera function;

And finally id like to see some sort of Internal console so i can switch servers and other sich alike without having to return to the menu's (console I.e COD style )

Oh and i know its been asked previously but how about this time optional internal VOIP for dedicated servers..... help bring the community closer
* Core 2 Quad Q6600
* Abit IN9 32 MAX Motherboard
* 8 GB OCZ 4GB PC2-6400 nVIDIA SLI-Ready Edition (4X2GB)
* AMP! GeForce GTX 260² 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 x 1
* 150GB Raptor HDD
* 500GB Caviar HDD
* Vista Ultimate x64
* Thermaltake W0133RB 1200W PSU

KuroBit
sunday driver
sunday driver
Owned TM-games: TMUF(Steam)

Post by KuroBit » 17 Oct 2009 19:11

I really have no idea how mania script works, but I'd like to see things that would allow you to move the players car in a certain direction. Such as a fake "Jump Block", which would shoot the player upwards when at a certain part on the track. And codes that would let you change the tires friction, or the cars gravity etc.

Maybe you could even make a code that would check how close an opponents car is, and if its below a certain value, move the car in the opposite direction that the other car is located. Make shift collisions! :P

Also, if you could change the gravity so it always went down in the direction your car was facing, you would be able to drive upside down on tracks without falling off :P. (But if you flipped your car over...)

jumpastro
highway camper
highway camper

Post by jumpastro » 01 Nov 2009 10:14

Is it possible that moving blocks during the race?For example the blocks collapse one by one and the car should go through before that,the roads can rotate,lift up and lift down joint can change....also this maybe mess up...

Alter-Fox
sunday driver
sunday driver
Owned TM-games: TMUF TMO TMS

Post by Alter-Fox » 02 Nov 2009 15:42

What about disabling/enabling checkpoints? That way you could have a track with multiple routes and be able to have separate checkpoints for each one.
Friend and ally to cats of all stripes, whether I like it or not. :)
Check out my original music @ https://vertigofox.bandcamp.com or look for Vertigo Fox on soundcloud and in other places.

Gekko
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: ALL

Post by Gekko » 03 Nov 2009 03:09

Theese are not ManiaScript boys, theese are client c++ coding ......
A mania script can do this only if there is a function developed before by coders.

OnWalkingOnBlock($id_bock, $position_on_grid) and the kilometers method i think will be great, and speed on check.

It can be very funny finally but about interesting...

The <entry> code is the much important, it is very unstable out of a real manialink.
Times ago i coded the Magic Keyboard for TM, but if i need to write much i get annoyed to click all letters.

Hmmm, maybe can be good a command like this in basic:
contents$ = inkey$
to let a manialink coder to catch all keys from the keyboad and manage directly in the language he is using.

Well i hope my TPS4 OS can do all this things.
Hoping in Nadeo-Ubisoft.

zerexiel7878
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMUF

Post by zerexiel7878 » 05 Apr 2010 01:22

Wow. Trackmania is getting more complicated every game.
I bet you can make 3D cars!!!!!! :pil :pil :pil

otmb;ripbox
swift roadking
swift roadking
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMO, TMS

Post by otmb;ripbox » 05 Apr 2010 23:46

don't know if anyone else will agree on this but what if the ability to control care speeds??? well you know we all.... well some like to use reverse booster to slow us down.... well you know what im getting at...... it doesn't always work does it, so if the mania script can allow us to control/ restrict car speed......just limit it "not boost beyond the maximum set i.e 999"

quick example: where the use of reverse boosters mania scrip replaces....

travel speed to 1st corner 999 + corner angle of 120 degrees +mania limit = travel speed of 400 - end of corner = unlimited travel speed up to 999
* Core 2 Quad Q6600
* Abit IN9 32 MAX Motherboard
* 8 GB OCZ 4GB PC2-6400 nVIDIA SLI-Ready Edition (4X2GB)
* AMP! GeForce GTX 260² 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 x 1
* 150GB Raptor HDD
* 500GB Caviar HDD
* Vista Ultimate x64
* Thermaltake W0133RB 1200W PSU

Mikey
happy cruiser
happy cruiser

Post by Mikey » 06 Apr 2010 02:52

I believe (I could be mistaken) that teammania and cupmania were done using a prototype of mania script for TMUF ?
I would like to see in TM2 more ability like this. To define game mode controls to create unique modes of play, anthing from multi-team multi-race champiosnhips to what ever you can think of.
Other ingame effects of a cosmetic nature should be handled by media tracker. (like the sun)
But controls that effect actually gamplay should be done by mania script. It might be good to be able to control things like turbo timings or even gravity.