What kind of disc will Trackmania 2 require, if any?

Discuss anticipation, facts and video's of the newly announced Trackmania 2 game!

Moderators: Alinoa, TM-Patrol

Trackmania_Infinity
happy cruiser
happy cruiser
Owned TM-games: TMS

What kind of disc will Trackmania 2 require, if any?

Post by Trackmania_Infinity » 02 Nov 2009 13:14

I'd like to know if anyone would like to make an educated guess as to what kind of disc Trackmania 2 will require. Will it use a DVD, multiple DVDs, or is it possible that it will be stored on a Blu-Ray disc? I really hope that it will be possible to buy the game in U.S. stores now that Ubisoft owns Nadeo.

w1lla
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMN, TMF
Manialink(s): intr

Re: What kind of disc will Trackmania 2 require, if any?

Post by w1lla » 02 Nov 2009 13:53

Ubisoft is French.

source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubisoft

Code: Select all

tmnforever is nations and united makes it special. tmnforever has united. I need united!

Tom.CZ.73
speed demon
speed demon
Owned TM-games: all PC versions
Manialink(s): Tom.CZ.73, sQs

Post by Tom.CZ.73 » 02 Nov 2009 14:16

Of cource that TM2 will be distributed digitaly. TMsx, TMu, TMuf are distributed that way so why on Earth would bigger distributor decited to not distribude TM2 digitaly. Steam, Gameplanet + maybe others

What disk(s) ? C'mon what kind of questions is this. Get back to Earth. Do you think taht blue ray will be standard next year ? NO. I bet it will be single DVD

Rax
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol

Post by Rax » 19 Nov 2009 15:22

I doubt you will find BDROM used for pc games for a long time, if at all (remember how long it took for dvd to be adopted)

hpbifta
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by hpbifta » 19 Nov 2009 19:16

TBH, it`s not what format is standard which will decide this issue, It`s the size of the game data which will finalise this argument.

Games won`t move onto Blu-Ray until they have to, and even then they will push it off until as late as possible. Many games have had levels or features removed during developement over the years just so they would fit onto a specific storage medium. Deus-Ex lost the choice to play as a woman because the amount of data saved by removing the female Player Voice set meant the game would fit onto one CD. Others over the years have been trimmed so they can fit onto one DVD instead of two.

TMU came on DVD because it was just over a GB and thus wouldn`t fit on CD, even with TMF it works out at about 1.7GB total so is still on DVD. TM has always been a streamlined download because there isn`t masses and masses of independent level data as there is in games like UT or GoW for example. It wouldn`t surprise me at all if the whole of TM2 fits into only 2GB because Nadeo are masters of compression and minimalist data use. Therefore I pretty much guarantee the Hard-Copy will be DVD.

The game would have to come with a few thousand tracks, custom cars and blocks and tunes etc to justify the need for a Blu-ray disc.

pobmaestro
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMUF, TMWii

Post by pobmaestro » 19 Nov 2009 19:52

When Final Fantasy starts to come with 4 DVD discs, then Blu-ray will be phased-in like DVD's still are. The fact that Trackmania has always been about easily sharing custom content means that file sizes will always remain as small as possible.

A more interesting question would be "What kind of disc art will Trackmania 2 feature?" :wink:

Beta64
sunday driver
sunday driver
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TMNF

Post by Beta64 » 27 Nov 2009 23:20

Yeah, digital downloads (through the main channels, although I doubt Metaboli will get to allow rentals again) and a single DVD, most likely. (How many games come in multiple DVDs?)