Ubisoft online services platform - WTF?

Discuss anticipation, facts and video's of the newly announced Trackmania 2 game!

Moderators: Alinoa, TM-Patrol

Trackmaniack
solid chaser
solid chaser
Owned TM-games: All

Re: Ubisoft online services platform - WTF?

Post by Trackmaniack » 27 Apr 2010 16:30

Ya know what really steams me? And I didn't even really think about this until it was brought up by another measure. Screw the DRM or whatever Ubi decides to put up on their game...most of us can deal. What's made me mad is the fact that if Florent was still the head honcho behind the show, I'm sure Zooz would already be talking to us about an alpha right now--or maybe the big man himself would be lettin' us know what's up. Since Ubi took over, it's like they've been blackboxed. There's no news, no updates since those couple vids (which were BEFORE they got bought, by the way), nothin. I'm just hopin' Ubi doesn't use "political pressure" to put Nadeo onto other projects like they did with Massgate....:-(
Cruisin' through life, TM-Style!

EntropicLqd
sunday driver
sunday driver
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMN, TMU

Post by EntropicLqd » 27 Apr 2010 18:28

Beta64 wrote:Considering Ubisoft's failure to announce the abandonment of the DRM and RUSE's delay to November suggests to me that Ubisoft is retooling their DRM. The problem won't be solved by cracks either.
You are correct. Current plans include executing parts of the game on the DRM server. This means that although a "crack" is still possible, writing a server emulator to return the correct results the game needs becomes ever harder.

Whatever you might think about the true extent of the cost of piracy, there is still money being lost by the publisher. It's just a shame that it's the paying customer that gets screwed over. And I suspect most of those won't really understand what they've bought into until it's too late.

My only hope is that at some point the craziness bites Ubisoft on the arse big time, and sends them into bankruptcy (sorry Florent). Because one thing is for sure ... if people keep buying the games then all of the other studios will follow suit.

otmb;ripbox
swift roadking
swift roadking
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMO, TMS

Post by otmb;ripbox » 28 Apr 2010 12:23

Well im sure someone will come up with a way to redirect the the required address for authentication to a file that can be stored on our own computers that tells the DRM (activation/authentication(127.0.0.1) = TRUE) “There’s no Place Like 127.0.0.1″ :roflol:
* Core 2 Quad Q6600
* Abit IN9 32 MAX Motherboard
* 8 GB OCZ 4GB PC2-6400 nVIDIA SLI-Ready Edition (4X2GB)
* AMP! GeForce GTX 260² 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 x 1
* 150GB Raptor HDD
* 500GB Caviar HDD
* Vista Ultimate x64
* Thermaltake W0133RB 1200W PSU

TStarGermany
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMN,TMNF,TMUF
Manialink(s): creative

Post by TStarGermany » 28 Apr 2010 23:00

well... important events come quickly one after another these days... 2 days old:

after the drm has just been circumvented for linear games so far, now the drm has been completely analysed and shattered to pieces by other people, enabling drm-free gaming of "settlers 7 - paths to a kingdom".

this is good news for all legal customers, who don't want to be punished anymore for paying good moneys for the game.

fng_thatoneguy
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMNF, TMUF

Post by fng_thatoneguy » 28 Apr 2010 23:09

Does anyone else find it amusing that Ubi can't keep their always-connected auth servers running, and yet, they're planning on now serving content from their servers as well? :roflol:

TStarGermany
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMN,TMNF,TMUF
Manialink(s): creative

Post by TStarGermany » 28 Apr 2010 23:15

what they planned has become irrelevant, since several scene groups have woken up and are smelling blood to exercise their true skills.
i truely don't hope, ubisoft is stupid enough to play this game because in the end, their drm and whatnot copy protections will just be a pleasureful waste of time for these scene groups.

otmb;ripbox
swift roadking
swift roadking
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMO, TMS

Post by otmb;ripbox » 30 Apr 2010 15:15

TStarGermany wrote:well... important events come quickly one after another these days... 2 days old:

after the drm has just been circumvented for linear games so far, now the drm has been completely analysed and shattered to pieces by other people, enabling drm-free gaming of "settlers 7 - paths to a kingdom".

this is good news for all legal customers, who don't want to be punished anymore for paying good moneys for the game.
This kind of thing brings a cheaky grin to my face :lol:
* Core 2 Quad Q6600
* Abit IN9 32 MAX Motherboard
* 8 GB OCZ 4GB PC2-6400 nVIDIA SLI-Ready Edition (4X2GB)
* AMP! GeForce GTX 260² 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 x 1
* 150GB Raptor HDD
* 500GB Caviar HDD
* Vista Ultimate x64
* Thermaltake W0133RB 1200W PSU