Page 5 of 8

Re: Ubisoft online services platform - WTF?

Posted: 18 Mar 2010 16:12
by jamie_macdonald
otmb;ripbox wrote:well i just bought Battlefield Bad Company 2 and if we need some sort of protection then im all for what they did there....
simply put, you install the game then you need to every time you play ether chose to do one of 2 things... A:have the disc in the drive for authentication or B: have on-line authentication
you can read more about this authentication here http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/62114

although im not so keen on this method, its in the end blows the socks of Ubisofts waste of time and money

Battlefield Bad Company 2 has had this "SecureRom" removed today (they will now rely on steam for protection), further to that ubisofts list of confirmed DRM games up for release in 2010-2011 does not inculde TM2 (this does not of course mean it will not have it .. it is seemingly less likely).

It seems that slowly the DRM angst is gettign somewhere :thumbsup:

Re: Ubisoft online services platform - WTF?

Posted: 18 Mar 2010 16:37
by fng_thatoneguy
jamie_macdonald wrote:
otmb;ripbox wrote:well i just bought Battlefield Bad Company 2 and if we need some sort of protection then im all for what they did there....
simply put, you install the game then you need to every time you play ether chose to do one of 2 things... A:have the disc in the drive for authentication or B: have on-line authentication
you can read more about this authentication here http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/62114

although im not so keen on this method, its in the end blows the socks of Ubisofts waste of time and money

Battlefield Bad Company 2 has had this "SecureRom" removed today (they will now rely on steam for protection), further to that ubisofts list of confirmed DRM games up for release in 2010-2011 does not inculde TM2 (this does not of course mean it will not have it .. it is seemingly less likely).

It seems that slowly the DRM angst is gettign somewhere :thumbsup:
I hope you're right. :)
... But I'm not holding my breath til we're doing the victory dance at release time for TM2 and it truly is DRM-free ...

Here's to hopin'.

Re: Ubisoft online services platform - WTF?

Posted: 18 Mar 2010 16:43
by jamie_macdonald
yeah i'm not holding my breath either, but i am hopefull that we will get somewhere by the time TM2 is released,

fortunately we have all these other mainstream games testing the limits of the DRM system and also the Users willingness to put up with such a system, i feel that even if they intend to use it now . .they next year might make them change their mind :thumbsup:

The list of DRM confirmed games not having TM2 included is promising but i agree not worth celebrating till we see it "written in stone"... i will jsut post what i find on the subject as and when i find it ... lets hops all goes well :lovetm

Re: Ubisoft online services platform - WTF?

Posted: 18 Mar 2010 18:58
by otmb;ripbox
jamie_macdonald wrote:Battlefield Bad Company 2 has had this "SecureRom" removed today
It has??? where is his info?

Re: Ubisoft online services platform - WTF?

Posted: 18 Mar 2010 19:29
by Xymph
otmb;ripbox wrote:
jamie_macdonald wrote:Battlefield Bad Company 2 has had this "SecureRom" removed today
It has??? where is his info?
Read a good gaming news site, such as Blue's News:
http://www.bluesnews.com/s/108489/steam ... oval-nears
http://www.bluesnews.com/s/108509/battl ... team-patch

Re: Ubisoft online services platform - WTF?

Posted: 18 Mar 2010 20:40
by jamie_macdonald
Xymph wrote:
otmb;ripbox wrote:
jamie_macdonald wrote:Battlefield Bad Company 2 has had this "SecureRom" removed today
It has??? where is his info?
Read a good gaming news site, such as Blue's News:
http://www.bluesnews.com/s/108489/steam ... oval-nears
http://www.bluesnews.com/s/108509/battl ... team-patch
What he said + have you not heard of google before? hehe :thumbsup:

Re: Ubisoft online services platform - WTF?

Posted: 18 Mar 2010 23:05
by otmb;ripbox
jamie_macdonald wrote:
What he said + have you not heard of google before? hehe :thumbsup:
But i never said mine was a Steam version did i???? lol :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: yeah its the stand alone disc version, thats why i said it give you 2 authentication options 1 via disc and the other via online!!!!

Re: Ubisoft online services platform - WTF?

Posted: 18 Mar 2010 23:35
by Xymph
otmb;ripbox wrote:But i never said mine was a Steam version did i?
You also didn't say your copy isn't a Steam version. But Jamie did mention in his post that this pertains to the Steam edition, in the part you didn't include in your quote:
jamie_macdonald wrote:Battlefield Bad Company 2 has had this "SecureRom" removed today (they will now rely on steam for protection)
So it's not our mistake that you ignored a crucial detail. :P

Re: Ubisoft online services platform - WTF?

Posted: 19 Mar 2010 16:00
by otmb;ripbox
HAHA Oh well my point was the protection used in BFBC2 was better than Ubisofts.... anyway back to the topic on hand :lol:

Re: Ubisoft online services platform - WTF?

Posted: 10 Apr 2010 21:58
by Kakkoii
It all comes down to this:

DRM only effects paying customers. Never in gaming history has DRM worked at stopping piracy. So basically when you add such intrusive DRM to your product, you are only harming the paying customers, allowing the pirates to actually have a better version of the game than paying customers.

The people who crack these things have become experts on reverse engineering software to crack it. If the game is still usable with whatever DRM is implemented, then the DRM can and will be cracked. The only thing a developer can do is provide incentives for people to want to pay for it. Such as real life collectibles or something, and interesting online features.

Plus the actual effect of piracy is greatly blown out of proportion. They count every download as a sale lost, when in reality a huge portion of those downloads are of people who either:

1.) Don't have the money to pay for every game they would like to play.
2.) Download the game to try it out, and if they feel it's good they then later support the developer by paying for it.
3.) Live in a part of the world where it's not available for purchase.
4.) Just plain poor.

Sure, there are many who just pirate to save money, but the majority fall into the above 4 categories.


Plus, when it comes to Trackmania, the biggest appeal of the game is playing online with other people, and creating tracks for other people to play. And since a pirated version cannot be played online, there's much reason to actually pay for the game. Not to mention Nadeo's free version of the game also.

These big developers need to stop listening to their idiotic share holders and DRM lobbyists. And need to take a listen to what the public is saying and the irrationality of such DRM.

Re: Ubisoft online services platform - WTF?

Posted: 11 Apr 2010 18:22
by otmb;ripbox
Kakkoii wrote:It all comes down to this:............
a BIG +1 for that

I am:
1.) Don't have the money to pay for every game they would like to play.
2.) Download the game to try it out, and if they feel it's good they then later support the developer by paying for
4.) Just plain poor.

and occasionally but very rare.......

3.) Live in a part of the world where it's not available for purchase.

Had i not had the luxury of playing the TMS demo prior to the release of TMS id have been one of the many who downloaded a pirated version of TMS

Big problem now is many don't do demo's any more and that is where the pirates help! just so hope Nadeo make a TM2 demo..... id be very reluctant to buy it without being able to try b4 i buy

Re: Ubisoft online services platform - WTF?

Posted: 12 Apr 2010 12:41
by jamie_macdonald
Yeah have to say the pircay scare is a little like you state, allthough there are some extroadinarily greedy people that steal cause they are to tight "penny pinchers" they are of course rarer than those in unfortunate circumstance.

allthough in saying that, if you don't have the money then why not go earn some to get it? ^^ (disabled and elderly excused imo).

But as usual, i am human, and have to admit that my first go of TM (TMS) was on a pirated copy (ed2k client e-mule).... It however was an awesome game and i went out to purchase it withing two weeks of "tryign it for free".

So in short your correct, but there is really no excuse for stealing unless you have no arms or legs or something similar stopping you earning money. (dont be theives for the sake of it and anti piracy measures might not make it through :thumbsup: )

Re: Ubisoft online services platform - WTF?

Posted: 12 Apr 2010 16:33
by Kakkoii
jamie_macdonald wrote:Yeah have to say the pircay scare is a little like you state, allthough there are some extroadinarily greedy people that steal cause they are to tight "penny pinchers" they are of course rarer than those in unfortunate circumstance.

allthough in saying that, if you don't have the money then why not go earn some to get it? ^^ (disabled and elderly excused imo).

But as usual, i am human, and have to admit that my first go of TM (TMS) was on a pirated copy (ed2k client e-mule).... It however was an awesome game and i went out to purchase it withing two weeks of "tryign it for free".

So in short your correct, but there is really no excuse for stealing unless you have no arms or legs or something similar stopping you earning money. (dont be theives for the sake of it and anti piracy measures might not make it through :thumbsup: )
Somebody has to do the low paying jobs until robotics can take over. Making more money is easier said than done. Many people have to be poor for some to be rich.

And it's technically not stealing. Theft is the taking of someone's property. Digital piracy is the act of making a copy of the digital data someone else had already bought a copy of. If you we're never a sale to begin with, then nobody has actually lost anything. If you do have the money to pay for it and are a potential sale, then yes it's close to theft.

Re: Ubisoft online services platform - WTF?

Posted: 13 Apr 2010 16:26
by EntropicLqd
I wonder if any of you guys saw this article a while back: http://www.tweakguides.com/Piracy_1.html

It's not a perfect article, but it's still one of the more balanced views on the impact of software piracy you can find.

Edit:And if Ubi hasn't dropped their absurd DRM by the time TM ships I'll never play it. A shame; but I refuse to support such an invasive protection scheme.

Re: Ubisoft online services platform - WTF?

Posted: 14 Apr 2010 13:27
by jamie_macdonald
i love the way the article consistently mentions scaremongering, i wonder if you guys even realise you are doing the exact same thing! (probably not). :roflol:

all smacks of major hypocrisy if you ask me, pay for what you get if you can, the only people that have the RIGHT to free information are, people in education, elderly and disabled ... ANYONe else pirating is a THIEF .. simply put.