I Can't get custom skins showing in multiplayer

Discuss anticipation, facts and video's of the newly announced Trackmania 2 game!

Moderators: Alinoa, TM-Patrol

Tortilla00
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: Stadium

I Can't get custom skins showing in multiplayer

Post by Tortilla00 » 28 Jun 2013 10:19

Okay, so I have created my map, it's perfect, now I want to have a whole bunch of custom "Advertisements" (the signs) skins and also a custom skin on the Airship.

I have made a solid attempt at making them work but I just cant make it happen right, so, I will walk through the steps I've taken and if you could please point out what I've missed that would be awesome.

• Created correctly sized (280x140px) custom sign and saved as JPEG
• Put this JPEG into a ZIP archive
• Upload the ZIP to Fileden.com (Yes this host hotlinks)
• Created a LOC file with the Fileden link to the download. The LOC file is exact same name as the ZIP. (name.zip.loc)
• This LOC file (and my JPEG and the ZIP which I shouldnt need any more, right?) is now saved in C:\Users\Admin\Documents\ManiaPlanet\Skins\Any\Advertisement
• Restart Trackmania 2 Stadium and save map with the new custom Advertisement selected.
• Upload my custom track to Fileden.com for others to download and play.

Now, when my friend downloads my map, he can't see my custom skins. What gives?

Does the Map file (GBX) automatically save the LOC files with the map? Or does each person who downloads need to get my LOC files as well? Have I missed something?

I know that the game its self uses DDS files for the skins, now, should I have saved my JPEGs as DDS? then created the LOC files with a link to a ZIPPED DDS file?

Now, when I download my own map and put it in the "Downloaded" folder, if I play the map I can see the custom skins myself, but I think this is because I have all the JPEGs saved on my computer and the game is reading them from there. If I move the JPEGs out of the Advertisement folder then I can no longer see my custom skins.

This is very confusing, I'm sorry. I'm at my wits end and I've been trying this all day with no success. I think the key is something to do with using DDS files instead of the JPEGs, but I can't make it work. Do I have to save ALL of my skins (there is 13 that I want to use) into one big ZIP that I use as a MOD rather than individual skins? Sigh...

Please Help.

eXtreme34
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: All except PowerUp^^
Manialink(s): extreme34

Re: I Can't get custom skins showing in multiplayer

Post by eXtreme34 » 28 Jun 2013 12:49

Hi and welcome :)
You'll have more answers on Maniaplanet forum probably ;)
Visit my manialink (more than 1000 maps) : extreme34color>

Tortilla00
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: Stadium

Re: I Can't get custom skins showing in multiplayer

Post by Tortilla00 » 28 Jun 2013 13:08

okay thanks I got some help over there.