Map Design & Framerate?

Find here all the tracks of the Community. For more tracks you can go on Trackmania Exchange : http://www.tm-exchange.com

Moderator: TM-Patrol

Tarod
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMNF

Map Design & Framerate?

Post by Tarod » 12 May 2008 18:59

I've made one map, and had no issues. Big map in stadium with quite a few blocks. However, it was on "day" setting.

I started my second map this weekend. More parts, and set on "Sunset". The shadow computation takes about ten times (no exaggeration) longer to complete than my first map, and I'm only half done. When I validate the map, I get a framerate problem almost immediately (this with a quad-core, 4GB RAM and an 8800 GT).

So a couple of questions for all of you:
1) Is my guess correct that the issue is primarily track-related and driven by the sunset shadows?
2) Is there a way to retroactively change your "time of day" once you're partway through a track build?
3) Which times of day are best and worst for this sort of recalculation?

Thanks for any help.

reknaw
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMNF, TMUF

Re: Map Design & Framerate?

Post by reknaw » 13 May 2008 02:33

I can't answer any of your framerate questions, but I do know that it is possible to retroactively change the time of day by holding down CTRL when loading the track into the editor.

I have made sunset time tracks before and not noticed a problem with framerate, and my system is not as powerful as yours. I'm not sure what is going on there.

rek.

Tarod
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMNF

Post by Tarod » 14 May 2008 16:34

Rek - Thanks for the tip.

I changed the map to "Day" and the shadow compile went much faster. I also didn't have the framerate error happen. This suggests that the time-of-day setting significantly impacts anyone who has "nicer" set in the video settings relative to shadows (which I do).

Still interested if anyone else has had similar experiences...

Naveronasis
road tourist
road tourist
Owned TM-games: United

Post by Naveronasis » 18 May 2008 11:32

Even on the lowest setting 2k shadows, durring sunset and night (not sunrise however) the game will turn on track piece ligting, These pieces are--- White dome Concave corner, white Dome Convex corner, White dome ALL bottom pieces exterior, White dome Cealing Large, White dome Cealing Banner, Stadium Lighting Saucer, Stadium Wide Track Lighting Bar, Linkable Lighting narrow Bar, Balloon Walls Base.

While not significant all of these pieces produce a light map when placed close enough to other pieces and will ALL calculate lighting separately, Particular pieces like the Saucer Light and Wide Track Light take ALOT of rendering space too because of there geometric complexity.

When you have Lighting set to 4k or 8k it will save a lighting texture map for every object for every light and can choke even the meanest box (for example i have a 5000amd 8800GTX OC, and 2g Ram) and will choke easily with 8k lighting on during daytime on large maps.

These maps will always take a long time to compute even on 2k shadows because it lights them all separately, to see a good example of this you can goto my maps thread and download either Cube or Castle of Doom. load it into the editor (it should compile lights right away) quickly hit cancel!

once your in, if you let the shadow thing complete change part of the map, if not then skip that part, Position the camera inside the white Pill Box and tell it to compute shadows, you (should) see the game systematically light each indoor light one at a time until the entire stadium is online. It calculates Outdoor lighting first, so it may be a few seconds (or if your computer is having a hard time a few minutes) before it gets started on this. White Dome pieces seem to take PARTICULARLY longer than other lights to calculate as well.

another note, while using white dome pieces and balloon walls the undo button takes longer and longer to do its thing, so like.... patience is a virtue or you'll undo half your track by trying to click numerous times

Rafracer
happy cruiser
happy cruiser
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMN

Post by Rafracer » 18 May 2008 14:38

Yes, especially the undo-button is a pain in a copper-heavy night-mood Stadium track. Same counts for deleting pieces. Sometimes it keeps on deleting the parts you highlight, even if you no longer hold the delete-key or in delete-mode press your mouse button.

The above message did not actually exist, and you just wasted a minute of your life reading a fabrication of your mind.