Something is wrong with my layers in photoshop??

Find here all the Skins of the Community. For more Skins you can go on Carpark : http://www.trackmania-carpark.com/

Moderator: TM-Patrol

bmandk
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: TMNF, TMUF

Something is wrong with my layers in photoshop??

Post by bmandk » 14 Nov 2008 19:33

Hey.
Im trying to make my own car with photoshop and followed the tutorial on http://www.tm-creative.org... But when i have opened it there are only one layer/mask?!?! Or is it just Adobe photoshop 4? can someone help me?? then ill be glad

//Bman
Last edited by bmandk on 14 Nov 2008 22:12, edited 1 time in total.

bmandk
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Re: Something is wrong with my layers in photoshop??

Post by bmandk » 14 Nov 2008 20:55

Anyone?

bmandk
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Post by bmandk » 15 Nov 2008 13:27

Okay found out now... but then the other problem... when i paint the top then it isn't mirror painting... someone can help me there?

bmandk
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Post by bmandk » 19 Nov 2008 12:22

Anyone??

The Doctor
road tourist
road tourist
Owned TM-games: United and TMN

Post by The Doctor » 19 Nov 2008 17:50

Can you post the skin here so I can see it? Is it a default car for an environment?
Are you talking about thsi tutorial?
http://tutorials.tm-creative.org/userap ... aint_skin/
I am working on a custom sticker/layer tutorial right now That may touch on things like mirrored painting.
BUt for mirrored painting you can do worse than just editing the car's skin in game and click the mirrored painting toggle button.

bmandk
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Post by bmandk » 19 Nov 2008 19:09

The Doctor wrote:Can you post the skin here so I can see it? Is it a default car for an environment?
I havent made one cuz i need to do mirror painting in Adobe Photoshop CS4 and yes it is default for stadium
The Doctor wrote:Are you talking about thsi tutorial?
http://tutorials.tm-creative.org/userap ... aint_skin/
Yes thats the tutorial
The Doctor wrote:I am working on a custom sticker/layer tutorial right now That may touch on things like mirrored painting.
BUt for mirrored painting you can do worse than just editing the car's skin in game and click the mirrored painting toggle button.
Im not sure i understand that... can i just paint one side of the car in photoshop and then just press that button in game painter? or im i tottaly missed?

//Bman

The Doctor
road tourist
road tourist

Post by The Doctor » 19 Nov 2008 23:00

Edit your car in the game and paint it a single color. Save it and give it a new name.This makes a ZIP file that has 2 files in it.
Difuse.dds and Icon.dds
Now open up the skin (Diffuse.dds) in photoshop using the DDS plugin provided by Nvidia. You will see that the image that is stretched over the 3d car is not centered in the difuse.dds file. This makes painting a mirrored image on the car difficult in photo editor programs and can result in an unwanted distortion of your painting.
Go back in the game and edit your car in the painter and start using the stencils and stickers after switching to mirrored mode. Paint a few things. When you paint one side it will show up on the other side too. Be careful of using things with word as they will be backward on the other side.
Save it again.
Go back to photoshop. Take a look and you will start to understand what I mean.

bmandk
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Post by bmandk » 20 Nov 2008 11:46

I didn't understand that quite... Do i have to paint the things i want to have mirrored first and then paint in photoshop? or am i still missing this?

Or else u can add my msn: minijeg@hotmail.com

The Doctor
road tourist
road tourist

Post by The Doctor » 25 Nov 2008 05:46

You can do it in the game first or in photoshop first.

Using the photoshop method relies on using a PSD photoshop file that has many layers for individual parts.

If you don't mind distortion due to mapping you can make a symmetrical "painting" of each part separately in photoshop by selecting the layers In the Stadium.psd Then save the file as a 1024x1024 OR 512x512 pixel DDS file called "Diffuse.dds". Place this into a ZIp file and put it into the game and open it. Don't worry about anything but placing the symmetrical paint job in the right spot. Then open it in the game and see what it looks like.

Your older version of photoshop may not open the above PSD file correctly. Thus your difficulty with layers. But to edit a single layer just click the layer you want and the sub-object(if any ) that you want to change. Then put it back into the game and apply the Prelight layer to make the shading look more realistic. Done.

But I suggest If you are starting from scratch that you do some painting in the game first. Just basic layout. Eventhough you may not use this skin you can paste it in the Stadium.psd file to get an idea of how you may want to get things to look right.

bmandk
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Post by bmandk » 26 Nov 2008 13:25

Ok thanks ill go look at it later

Thanks for all the help Doc

//Bman

lax.slash
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TM Original, TMS

Post by lax.slash » 01 Dec 2008 20:34

bmandk wrote:Okay found out now... but then the other problem... when i paint the top then it isn't mirror painting... someone can help me there?
How did you fix the one layer issue? I'm having that same problem.

The Doctor
road tourist
road tourist

Post by The Doctor » 03 Dec 2008 03:53

If you are having problems with the layers being incorrect you can use the free Paint.Net program and use the Photoshop plugin placed in the FileTypes directory of Paint.Net. Open the PSD file and select layers when opening. Also you may need the DDS pluging put into that same directory depending on your version of Paint.Net.
This program correctly opens the above PSD file and will allow you to save it as the proper DDS DXT1A file.

bmandk
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Post by bmandk » 04 Dec 2008 21:22

I just downloaded the skin from TM-Creative.org and then all the layers was there :D