wheels painting

Find here all the Skins of the Community. For more Skins you can go on Carpark : http://www.trackmania-carpark.com/

Moderator: TM-Patrol

skingbr
sunday driver
sunday driver
Owned TM-games: TMN eswc/TMNF/TMUF

wheels painting

Post by skingbr » 08 Feb 2009 10:20

Hi all!

I love paint some stadium and 3d models, but when i paint stadium cars, i can't paint the wheels!
Can you tell me how to do, for paint the wheels?

(sry for the bad english)

Wolf68k
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMS, TMUF, TMNF

Re: wheels painting

Post by Wolf68k » 08 Feb 2009 18:36

The wheels are in the Details.dds
TM name: wolf68k
Display name: Wolf68k (the 8 is actually white ingame, kinda hard to do here)

skingbr
sunday driver
sunday driver

Post by skingbr » 09 Feb 2009 13:41

Wolf68k wrote:The wheels are in the Details.dds
yes, but how can i paint it?

Wolf68k
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMS, TMUF, TMNF

Post by Wolf68k » 09 Feb 2009 23:44

You need Photoshop and the DDS plugin for Photoshop
When you open the file make sure that "Load Using Default Size" is selected and paint away then save it the same way you would if you were painting for the Diffuse.dds
TM name: wolf68k
Display name: Wolf68k (the 8 is actually white ingame, kinda hard to do here)

Generator
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMNF - TMUF
Manialink(s): Generator

Post by Generator » 10 Feb 2009 04:18

What Wolf68k is on about is part of the 'NVIDIA Texture Tools' which are found here>> http://developer.nvidia.com/object/nv_t ... tools.html
Just look for the photoshop stuff in the list.

The 'DDS Thumbnail Viewer' is also VERY useful if your using anything lower than Vista (You can put the folder view in thumbnail view and it displays the DDS content as thumbnails), I personnally have had no joy making them work with Vista and Win7.
Customize your virtual world to the max! >> http://www.virtualcustoms.net
3D Models, 2D skins & horns on my Manialink >> Generatorcolor>

skingbr
sunday driver
sunday driver

Post by skingbr » 11 Feb 2009 12:39

ok thx all for replyes

Gording
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: TMSX, TMNF, TMUF

Post by Gording » 12 Feb 2009 11:45

...and no one "NEEDS" Photoshop (or an associated DDS plug-in and all the brain numbing complexity both imply) just to paint a TM car skin, or its details.

Any graphics application from the lowest end Winblows Paint, to the wide range of free paint programs, to the highest end (take your pick here depending oh how much warez you're hiding) can do the job, it's not limited to just one overblown "catch all" graphics program. By using whatever graphics app you already know how to use (that removes most people right away! :D ) in conjunction with DXTBMP you've got all the tools you need. You can download DXTBMP here :

http://www.mnwright.btinternet.co.uk/pr ... dxtbmp.htm

DXTBMP can open both diffuse (painted skin) and details (...er...um...the details) DDS files in a car ZIP, and allow you to export to your preferred painter. Then you edit, paint, colour, tint, crop, rotate, and generally have a great old time, before saving. When you're happy with the results, you update the views in DXTBMP, and finally save as a DXT5 file type. Place the newly edited DDS files back into the car ZIP, and you're all done. It took me longer to explain how to do it than it takes to do it! :shock:

Job done, simple, easy, quick, AND free! :roflol:

Archdeluxe
road tourist
road tourist
Owned TM-games: TM United Forever

Post by Archdeluxe » 27 Oct 2009 09:19

read above posts.

Viper1[BEL]
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMNF

Post by Viper1[BEL] » 11 Feb 2010 18:58

I'm very sorry to bring this thread back up, but why, when I edit wheels, do my tires get shiny? instead of matt?
---------------------Viper1[BEL]----------------------

Gording
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: TMSX, TMNF, TMUF

Post by Gording » 13 Feb 2010 00:49

Viper1[BEL] wrote:I'm very sorry to bring this thread back up, but why, when I edit wheels, do my tires get shiny? instead of matt?
Because you are only editing the 16 million colour image in the DDS file. The shinyness (specularity) of all the various parts is set by the 256 colour Black and white 8 bit alpha channel image in the DDS.

As the DDS need both a 16 million colour and a 256 colour alpha channel image (they are the same, apart from one being black and white 8 bit), when you alter the colour one, most people who have never heard of the mysterious aplha channel, don't bother to create one, or include it with whatever software they are using. This then breaks the alpha channel image, and it then becomes completely white.

.....and white is = the maximum setting for shiny effects. All parts of the details or outer skin, now become super shiny (as they are white in the alpha image).

Basically load your colour details in, turn the saturation down to 0% (which makes it black and white but still using 16 million colours, which WON'T work in the game) now lasso, or elastic loop, or magic wand, or highlight (pick a name) parts that you wish to alter. Either brighten/constrast, or gamma correct to make them brighter and more shiny, or dull them down to to grey to become semi-matt. ...and yes Solid Black is completely matt.

When you've altered the parts like tyres etc., to whatever shades of white/grey/black, turn the colour depth down to 256 (8 bit) and save that as the Alpha channel image. How you combine the colour and alpha image is up to your own app options, but as above : DXTBMP does it really easily, quickly, and simply.

...and yes there are plenty of tutorials, and forum threads up and down the interweb detailing this. "Search" is your friend. :mrgreen:

an example of colour and alpha channel images, but for skins (which is the same usage for either DDS)

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=23697

Viper1[BEL]
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMNF

Post by Viper1[BEL] » 13 Feb 2010 21:31

thx gording. that was a kickass response xD
---------------------Viper1[BEL]----------------------

Ducky
highway camper
highway camper