HELP!

Find here all the Skins of the Community. For more Skins you can go on Carpark : http://www.trackmania-carpark.com/

Moderator: TM-Patrol

sockets
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: TMUF

HELP!

Post by sockets » 08 Feb 2009 20:44

Ok i have TMUF,
i have installed the car's in the win rar folder's in the correct place.

C:\Documents and Settings\Shane\My Documents\TrackMania\Skins\Vehicles\carcommon

But only i can see them, how may i change that so that other player's can view my car ingame?

Also it may be router port's i heard how can i open them etc?

Generator
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMNF - TMUF
Manialink(s): Generator

Re: HELP!

Post by Generator » 09 Feb 2009 08:02

Also it may be router port's i heard how can i open them etc?
Have a look if your router is listed at the following site and follow the guide if it is.
http://www.portforward.com/english/rout ... rindex.htm

If you use a seperate firewall (hardware or software), you may have to open the ports in that also (Google the firewall name and 'opening ports' should find what you need, Google is yr friend! :thumbsup: ).
Customize your virtual world to the max! >> http://www.virtualcustoms.net
3D Models, 2D skins & horns on my Manialink >> Generatorcolor>

Wolf68k
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMS, TMUF, TMNF

Post by Wolf68k » 09 Feb 2009 23:48

2 things. When you have the car selected and you go online with it for the first time the game will ask if you want to share, make sure you select Yes.

2) Some times they won't see it right away. It takes some time before they see it.

As for the router ports, I have no problem with no ports open for anything even close to being for TM.
If you do have a software firewall, even the built in firewall with Windows, try disabling it while playing and see if that makes any difference.
TM name: wolf68k
Display name: Wolf68k (the 8 is actually white ingame, kinda hard to do here)

Generator
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by Generator » 10 Feb 2009 03:43

As for the router ports, I have no problem with no ports open for anything even close to being for TM.
Eh.. What??? Your saying you 'yourself' dont have to open ports in your router for TM stuff to work online?? If you are using a router and saying this, then you either have your routers 'SPI' firewall disabled or you're running your PC as a DMZ server through your router.. Both are highly NOT recommended if you like your system setup! (certain firewalls/routers have a 'Gaming Mode', this should only be used whilst erm... gaming ONLY lol!)
When you have the car selected and you go online with it for the first time the game will ask if you want to share, make sure you select Yes.
I'm pretty sure (but could be wrong on this Wolf) but dosn't that just kick in when you have built or skinned a car yourself?, anyway even if I'm wrong Im pretty sure he would have clicked 'No' then wondered why it dont work.

As for disabling a firewall, that has to be a last resort if all else fails. Internet security has to be top-most in todays world, there is too many wannabe 'hackers'. (not to mention Spyware/Malware/Trojans/Virii etc...)

EDIT:
I do agree with your second point though, it can take anything from 2 races on one server upto something like 10 races depending on how busy the server is and how fast your internet is. I keep trying to explain this to a friend of mine who is forever disconnecting to change car and then reconnecting! I keep telling him but hey-ho!

Wolf68k
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by Wolf68k » 10 Feb 2009 05:39

No I am NOT in the DMZ and no I don't have any ports related to TM open. The only port I have open is for torrents. Everything thing else is closed, as it should be. Now the likely hood of the 1 port I use for torrents is even close to being the same use for TM is highly unlikely.

As for my suggestion of disabling any firewall. We know he's behind a router, very few consumer routers do not have built in NAT firewalls. There for the only use a software firewall would be is to keep watch of things that trying to connect to the net that you don't know about. This does not include XP's built on firewall since it acts just like a router's NAT firewall.

You have to remember that opening ports is really only needed for servers running on your computer so that clients on the outside can connect to them. Example: you don't need to open port 80 to let your web browser to connect to Google do you? No. Now the reason I can still share the files in TM even though the ports aren't forced open (meaning to make them be open in the router) is because the client side of TM is opening them for me which also allows files to go both ways.

I don't really need the ports to be open for torrents to work. I can seed them without them being open but only if have a torrent that is downloading at the same time. If not then anyone trying to connect to me to get a torrent that is only there seeding will never get connected.

NAT firewalls work like this (in a nut shell). Your client (web browser, IM program, game, whatever) tells the NAT firewall "hey I want you to open port 123 to ip 123.123.123.123" The NAT says "ok" so any traffic coming in on port 123 can come in, but only as long as the client it still making that request of the NAT. However, once the requests for that port and that IP stop coming the NAT says "ok no more need for this to stay open" and closes the port, which means any more info trying get in will go unanswered.

The ONLY reason you should need to open a port in the router for a client like that is if no matter what else do you can't connect to the server.

Now it's plausible that if you open the ports that TM uses that you could possibly get those custom files to be spread/shared faster. But from what I've seen, it really comes down to the server. Some server may have client sharing turned off, so no matter what settings you have you're gonna get your friends to see it. Where most other servers do have it on but as I've already said, and Generator has agreed with, it can just take time.

Software firewalls like ZoneAlarm and Norton Firewall (or whatever it's called these days) have the ability to watch for each program as it tries to connect to the net. You try to get IE to go to Google for the first time since installing a firewall like this and the firewall pops saying "Hey Mr/Mrs user, there is this here program trying to connect to the net. Do you A) want to allow it this one time, B) always allow it to connect as a client, or C) block it so it can't get out at all?" To which Joe Blow makes his choice.
The upside is that if you have no idea what mirc (just an example of a perfectly safe program normally that can be used for bad things) is and you suddenly get that popup saying "mirc would like to connect to the net, what do I do?" Joe can say "ummm what is mirc? I've never heard of this. I think I'll block it for now and look into this and see what it's about and why it's on my system and remove it need be and etc etc etc"
But they are also good in that if you do have mirc (again as the example) on your system and use it be it all the time or just from time to time and have already set mirc to be a safe to connect program but then the software firewall popups up saying "hey we know about mirc and it's safe and all but here's this other mirc that wants to connect to the net but it doesn't match the info we have with the other way, so what do I do?" And so now Joe knows there a problem
Now the down side is this, when you're playing a game it doesn't try to connect to the net until you're in the game and so when software firewall wants to give you that popup and give your options you sometimes can't see it and sometimes even if you can, you can't do anything about it until you get out of the game. But until you do something about it you're gonna be able to connect to the net. Worse yet is that even if you can get out of the game and try to get to the popup a lot of times by the time you do get out of the game the popup warning goes away because they are made to not stay up all of the time.
Now to make it even worse is if you accidentally, or someone else on purpose not knowing any better blocks that game (or whatever program) so then the next time you try to get it to connect and it doesn't you're not going to (or might not at least) get that popup.

If you're behind a router, you have a good antivirus, and have more than one anti spyware untility and know how to use them and keep them up to date AND are a good safe web user, then personally a software firewall is pointless and never mind the resourses, cpu cycles and RAM they can use up for no real reason.

Ok that rant and lesson is over with....now for part 2.

When you install a new car, be it a custom car or a skinned car you did with the in-game paint editor or even if you add a custom avatar or horn, the first time you go to use it online the game gives you this:
http://i39.tinypic.com/jtap8x.jpg (sorry but tinypic.com doesn't offer thumbnails and I didn't want to mess up the topic any more than it already is).
Now I will be 100% honest, I don't know if it'll ask this after you've skinned a car in-game and then go online with it. However it makes sense that it would.

BTW, I am very big on PC and internet security. I roll my eyes and just about want to slam head into a wall everytime I have to go to someone's house to fix their computer and it's completely screwed by viruses and/or spyware. I also try to get people to use Firefox ever since version 1 because right out of the box it's 1000x safer than IE was back then and it's still safer than IE is now. I would rather use an extension for FF that makes it act like IE minus the security flaws.
As old as they might be, I still love Ad-Aware, Spybot and SpywareBlaster. And even now people don't understand why I use all of them. Simple answer; one misses something the other catches. The same can be said about anti-viruses but then you can have 100s of anti spyware programs installed if you really wanted to but you can't have more than 1 anti-virus installed without one of them complaining about it.

Generator
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by Generator » 10 Feb 2009 06:36

I was merely making a point of view concering 'Sockets' post, If ya wanna turn it into a 'I know more about PC's than you' argument, then PM me or start a new thread. Arguing in Sockets thread doesn't help him/her the slightest..

If you knew so much about PC's you would know how to use a forum without drifting off-topic...

And yes, I think U talk crap!

(TM may broadcast to servers but it use's P2P tech, so therefore it needs ports availible for receiving data.. I'm not doubting that when you add new horns/skins (as in self-made) it ask's but Sockets ain't making his own, he's downloading cars as the question implies where as I make my own models in 3d Studio Max and it never asks if I wanna allow my new model. I just tested it by downloading a car from Manialink and it doesn't ask... try it if ya don't believe me mr. know-it-all!)

EDIT: I could 'rant' myself but this is Sockets thread....

Wolf68k
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by Wolf68k » 10 Feb 2009 20:35

Taking it a bit personally aren't we?

And he's not talking about downloading the cars. He's talking about getting the cars he has downloaded to be seen by others. Whether he downloaded with Manialink or from carpark or whatever. Now if you downloaded a car from Manialink and then go to play said car online and it doesn't give you the same window like I showed that maybe something TM does with the .loc file and just sends that to the user and makes their client download it.

As for the rest of it. It wasn't meant as a "hey I know more than you". It was just some simple information that some people don't know or didn't realize. There are a lot of people that think that because they are behind a hardware firewall that uses NAT that they need to use port forwarding and they don't. I was also trying to explain how the NAT firewall works.

Plus you questioned my knowledge and suggestion of trying something that you thought was just wrong. If you think that something might be preventing something else from working correctly then you have to take that item out of the equation and see how it works. If you think that by not having port forwarding in use is stopping your cars from being seen by everyone then put yourself in the DMZ or if at all possible connect your PC directly to the modem but some how get the firewall out of the equation and find out but you then have to keep everything else the same (same server, same car, same people to ask if possible).
Now I wasn't trying to argue with you about if you where wrong or right. I don't know what you know so I explained as best I could how it works and if you didn't know then now you would know. But if you did know all you had to say was I know all of that, but then take into consideration that others might not know and could use this information.

I was never off topic either. He asked about opening ports in his router. I answered him. You told me I was wrong, at least that's how I saw it, by saying that I must be in my routers DMZ. I defended it by saying I wasn't. Simple as that.

Generator
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by Generator » 11 Feb 2009 09:03

Not taking it personally at all lol!
I just don't agree with what you have to say matey. :thumbsup:

Anyhow, any joy sockets with your prob???