Custom Skin Questions for LAN (Sorry!)

Find here all the Skins of the Community. For more Skins you can go on Carpark : http://www.trackmania-carpark.com/

Moderator: TM-Patrol

die eule
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: TMNF

Custom Skin Questions for LAN (Sorry!)

Post by die eule » 11 Apr 2013 13:45

Hey guys.
I am really sorry needing to ask these questions and I feel bad for it. I know there are thousands of answers to similar questions so far but I cant find one for my specific question within this flood of information...

We are soon going to have a lan party and as every year Trackmania will be again a part of it.
During the last year I created a full country skin set for every single country of the world in TMNF. I do know I cannot upload any skin using p2p with TMNF.

But first question:
Would the custom skins work if I create a "patch" for the game that places the skins in everyone's game folder? As far as I know TMNF is at least able to view custom skins online/in lan, does it?...

Second:
IF the first idea with custom "patching" does not work, did I understand correctly that you can activate custom skins in TMNF by buying a Trackmania game? Would that also work for everyone? Is there any Trackmania game I could buy that allows everyone to play in LAN with this only one copy (like it was with Age of Empires II for example)? The others wouldn't buy a Trackmania game just for a LAN but I was thinking to do so anyway...

I am sorry to bother you with these questions but I have no second computer in reach to test for myself...
I know some people may freak out for the millionth time those type of TMNF custom skin questions were asked, but please stay objective :wink:
greetings

eXtreme34
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: All except PowerUp^^
Manialink(s): extreme34

Re: Custom Skin Questions for LAN (Sorry!)

Post by eXtreme34 » 12 Apr 2013 18:47

die eule wrote:But first question:
Would the custom skins work if I create a "patch" for the game that places the skins in everyone's game folder? As far as I know TMNF is at least able to view custom skins online/in lan, does it?...
You can create a manialink (follow some tutorials before) where you can upload all your stuff for free, creating maniacodes and uploading them to player page. But you need to know how to do a manialink (if you don't, follow some tutorials). Else I don't think that you can create a patch as TM² is out for long now, and TMNF won't evolve.
die eule wrote:Second:
IF the first idea with custom "patching" does not work, did I understand correctly that you can activate custom skins in TMNF by buying a Trackmania game? Would that also work for everyone? Is there any Trackmania game I could buy that allows everyone to play in LAN with this only one copy (like it was with Age of Empires II for example)? The others wouldn't buy a Trackmania game just for a LAN but I was thinking to do so anyway...
You can upgrade your account to an United Forever one (so you can use P2P), but you'll need to buy the game.
die eule wrote:I am sorry to bother you with these questions but I have no second computer in reach to test for myself...
I know some people may freak out for the millionth time those type of TMNF custom skin questions were asked, but please stay objective :wink:
greetings
Don't worry for it. ;)
Visit my manialink (more than 1000 maps) : extreme34color>

die eule
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: TMNF

Re: Custom Skin Questions for LAN (Sorry!)

Post by die eule » 13 Apr 2013 00:37

eXtreme34 wrote: You can create a manialink (follow some tutorials before) where you can upload all your stuff for free, creating maniacodes and uploading them to player page. But you need to know how to do a manialink (if you don't, follow some tutorials). Else I don't think that you can create a patch as TM² is out for long now, and TMNF won't evolve.
Hey thanks at first for your answer :)

Okay i should be able to create such manialinks.
Butz I am not sure if you really understood what i was thinking to do.
Having the advantage of others sitting next to me during a local network gaming party (or lan party), i could pass all needed files directly to all others using usb sticks or local network. Such "patches" i was planning and thinking about could just be zip or rar files that just need to be unpacked into the correct trackmania folders; containing all the skin zip-files. I know way too few things to be able to write a real patch for a game :roll:

So would that be possible then for everyone seeing the chosen custom 2D skins or are the manialinks for especially such things?