Need someone who can import models...

Find here all the Vehicles of the Community. For more vehicles you can go on Trackmania Carpark: http://www.trackmania-carpark.com

Moderator: TM-Patrol

KuroBit
sunday driver
sunday driver
Owned TM-games: TMUF(Steam)

Need someone who can import models...

Post by KuroBit » 03 Jul 2008 00:51

I've been trying for years to import cars into Trackmania with no success (Since the original Sunrise), so instead, I was wondering if someone could import a car for me.

I have the model already, I'm trying to make an 8bit styled car with 8bit engine sounds:

Also, I don't want the wheels to turn if possible, and is it possible to use only the Diffuse texture?

Its made in Anim8or, but I exported it to .3ds and .obj files too. Also, I think the scaling is way off, but I don't have the template files... (New computer)

If anyone could tell me how to do this myself (In case I've missed something obvious in importing cars), please do x_X...

Thanks in advance.

-KuroBit

EDIT: Just saw the thread about NADEO releasing all their 3ds files XD, I'll fix the scaling before I send it.

Gording
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: TMSX, TMNF, TMUF

Re: Need someone who can import models...

Post by Gording » 08 Jul 2008 13:16

KuroBit wrote:I've been trying for years to import cars into Trackmania with no success (Since the original Sunrise), so instead, I was wondering if someone could import a car for me.
Importing a 3D model is relatively, simple, it's exporting the hellish things that's the brain ache....more on this in a moment
KuroBit wrote:Also, I don't want the wheels to turn if possible, and is it possible to use only the Diffuse texture?
The Diffuse.dds is the 2D paint job (skin), and as such it has absolutely nothing to do with how the 3D model moves, or it's Vehicle shape. The diffuse and details are purely for painting colours schemes onto.
KuroBit wrote:Also, I think the scaling is way off, but I don't have the template files... (New computer)

If anyone could tell me how to do this myself (In case I've missed something obvious in importing cars), please do
This is one of the most fundamental failures of wannabe 3D vehicle creators, but realistically it's quite a simple list of things you need to get right to get a 3D model that works.

1. Scaling. All parts of a model must fit inside a TM max box (you can find this and Nadeo models which will show scaling on the TM Carpark tutorial site). This box is the maximum size any TM vehicle can be, but anything smaller that fits and moves inside this will work.

2. Each environment vehicle has a default shape for it's handling, crashing, clipping and so on. So narrow models like motorbikes do not give you more room to steer, large models sink mysteriously into barriers without crashing, low models still hit things overhead, and tall models slide through things which they look like they should hit. The standard environment vehicle shape is applied, regardless of the new model you create.

3. The parts that make up the 3D model have to be named 100% correctly. The computer cannot think, and it does not know that what you labeled "Sbody" was meant to be the "sBody". Even the smallest mistake, and parts will either not appear, or the model simply won't work.

4. Make sure you name the parts of the 3D vehicle according to whatever game version you are aiming for. Nadeo as the same game's been altered over the years have changed the model's parameters slightly each step of the way, which is just enough to slightly break the previous game models. Make sure you're following a guide for your game version...not an older outdated one which won't work now.

Now onto specifics. Wheels that do not rotate!

Four parts named as wheels in the 3D mesh will rotate by default, so your's shouldn't be named as wheels! Simple. If they're part of the body, they won't rotate, or do much of anything. If you'd like the front squares to steer, but not rotate, you could name them as Front Guards (dFLGuard / dFRGuard , with each using it's own central axis position) in the 3D part list. Other usable part could likely be Hubs (dFLHub, dFRHub, dRLHub, dRRHub, and again each hub needs it's own central axis). Hubs don't steer, or rotate, but they do bounce up and down as the car moves over surfaces! :wink:

KuroBit
sunday driver
sunday driver

Post by KuroBit » 09 Jul 2008 22:15

Sorry, but I must have been unclear in what I was trying to say. I know most of what your saying, I've done about 10 or so different tutorials, but none of them worked (although I learned all about the max box and vehicle part names etc.)

Although I never thought of using the front and rear guards as wheels, that really helps!

Are you allowed to have a model that doesn't use ALL the parts of the car? (Like If it only had the part that uses the diffuse texture and nothing else, or a model that only has wheels and no car o_O... Or do you need placeholder objects for every part?)

Are there any tutorials made for United cars?

(Also, Anim8or might not be advanced enough to handle this kind of stuff, it may not be possible even if I followed directions perfectly)

Gording
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Post by Gording » 10 Jul 2008 00:19

KuroBit wrote:If anyone could tell me how to do this myself (In case I've missed something obvious in importing cars), please do...

Sorry, but I must have been unclear in what I was trying to say.
You asked how to fix it, didn't you? :thumbsup: Anything more than a blind set of tips, tricks, and advice, or to give specific details on what you're doing wrong you'd have to check your forum Personal Messages.

Rear Guards? No! These aren't valid parts of the 3D mesh! Front Guards yes. You can use any as many or as few valid parts as your require, you don't have to use all 40 or so parts that Vehicles can now use.

Basically after converting a 3DS file into a GBX you should end up with both files nearly the same size. If it's a massively different file size, it's likely the 3DS file isn't a format that TM can use. It would help if the conversion warned of the error, but it doesn't, and it appears to work correctly (this is what happens to Blender users) but you end up with a very small GBX file that doesn't work. Check GBX/3DS file size, to confirm if Anim8tor creates usable 3DS files. Sorry I don't use it, so I can't advise more there. However, it's important to use Tutorial's as guides, especially as application differences (even between versions) mean what is detailed in tutorials may be completely different for another application or version. This is why you have to be really flexible, creative, and imaginative, because we're not all using the same set of tools! :D
Are there any tutorials made for United cars?
There was an old Adobe one (in French) for the Nations Stadium car once upon a time, but I may have this backed up, and it would certainly be slightly out of date with the changes to vehicles Forever made.

KuroBit
sunday driver
sunday driver

Post by KuroBit » 10 Jul 2008 01:12

Ah, I don't think its possible.
I used the Track Mania 3ds model of the rally car, and I imported it and exported it without making any changes, and it failed to load in trackmania.

So I guess Anim8or messes up the data needed for conversion?

Here is the .3ds model that I exported out of Anim8or:
http://www.64digits.com/download.php?na ... p&id=25953

(And oh ya, sorry about the rear guards thing XD)

EDIT: Didn't see the file uploader...

Gording
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Post by Gording » 10 Jul 2008 12:42

KuroBit wrote:Ah, I don't think its possible.
I used the Track Mania 3ds model of the rally car, and I imported it and exported it without making any changes, and it failed to load in trackmania.
I see where you're going with this....so I'll play along.
KuroBit wrote:So I guess Anim8or messes up the data needed for conversion?

Here is the .3ds model that I exported out of Anim8or:
Here's the 3DS versus GBX results for those apps I use, compared to your example :

3D Studio Max : 3DS size = 119KB / GBX size = 87KB

Cinema 4D : 3DS size = 119KB / GBX size = 87KB

zModeler 2 : 3DS size = 120KB / GBX size = 129KB

Blender : 3DS size = 104KB / GBX size = less than 1KB

Your Anim8tor : 3DS size = 104KB / GBX size = less than 1KB

See I told you those apps that export 3DS files that TM cannot use, create tiny GBX files! Now you finally know what the problem is.