Mods = server stressing?

General Discussion about Trackmania Nations ESWC.

Moderator: TM-Patrol

Jelle Mees
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: TMUF

Mods = server stressing?

Post by Jelle Mees » 04 May 2008 22:10

My ping is 38 at my server at the moment. I wonder how certain mods will impact server performance.

Yesterday evening there were 27 players on my server at a certain point, my ping was still very good and I could see all vehicles driving ( not appearing and disappearing every 2-3 seconds ). I go to other servers with their fancy mods and all I see is flickering vehicles eaven though there aren't more players on there...

What is the impact on a server that keeps records, with jukebox and all that other crap?
ImageImage

Runningman
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: TMUF,TMNF,TMN

Re: Mods = server stressing?

Post by Runningman » 05 May 2008 00:40

the more **** you have the worse a server runs, pretty simple :)
unless its a pretty powerfull server with its own fat pipe, or the mod files are on another box to be downloaded.
Drift Forever Mod RELEASED!!
[url=irc://www.quakenet.org/trackmania]#trackmania IRC[/url] (international languages) come idle!
mikemartin.co
my cars
steam +friends
ESWC 06 USA Top Driver owned by games-services.com

Jelle Mees
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Post by Jelle Mees » 05 May 2008 07:07

Is there anyone with a before/after story?
ImageImage

Runningman
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Post by Runningman » 05 May 2008 07:38

all depends on the machine and the network that its on dude.

_a default server running default tracks does the LEAST amount of work, its performance will only change depending on the number of people in the server.

_start adding mods like the http://www.realf1racing.com server, now it has to upload that mod to everyone along with the custom tracks
_add dedimania now ontop of the normal ladder calculations it now has to calculate and upload/download all those stats
_add music to each custom track there goes some more bandwidth to each person.

now that i think of it, you could have just been downloading other peoples cars or avatars or trackmusic, thatll effect your ping :)
[url=irc://www.quakenet.org/trackmania]#trackmania IRC[/url] (international languages) come idle!
mikemartin.co
my cars
steam +friends

Jelle Mees
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Post by Jelle Mees » 05 May 2008 09:11

I think it's best that I keep the server modfree then. I have a 64-slot server and if my server can get up to 27 in just a few days, then it might go up to 40+ once the server becomes more popular. Not gonna risk dissapearing vehicles just because a few people want to feel good about theirselves ( records ).

I'll just try to provide as much fun possible with the tracks... the tracks and the people on a server determin if it's a fun server, not the mods. At least not for me.
ImageImage

Runningman
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Post by Runningman » 05 May 2008 19:23

you should be fine adding whatever you want to. the other servers with bouncing cars etc.. are just that.... other servers, other people connecting from far away parts of the world. also keep in mind you might be experiencing that kind of lag because of connection distance or and OCEAN between you and the server

just add little bit by little bit to the server asking people if the cars are lagging or the load times are slow. so just find out what it can handle :)
mikemartin.co
my cars
steam +friends