So *sad*

General Discussion about Trackmania Nations ESWC.

Moderator: TM-Patrol

Koroner
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMN, TMU

Post by Koroner » 14 Mar 2006 06:22

Hey Rascal... I never took "ladder so seriously", it was just more fun to me. Now, seeing that it doesn't work in representing the skill of players I've simply abandoned it.

I care to specify it: I don't feel the ladder as necessary or so important, and the fact that I agreed in this thread with the proposal to reset it should prove this.
The ladder as it is now is just a feature of the game which doesn't work so well, but just an addition.
where would the motivation of the programmers be to change the system every second day just to prevent some people from farming points?
It is not a primary task. I fully support Nadeo in his decision not to care of these evident ladder problems. Really, it's a minor change that Nadeo is free to not look at, but developers might want to improve the game as more as possible to make it more and more fine.

Maybe a way to prevent points-farming doesn't actually exist, because as you say every system leads to some problems. But I think that the ladder we have now is far from being the most efficient one, and improving it could only produce a better gaming experience.

However, you point out something which I think everyone here has thought, that is the fact that those crappy players filled with points would istantly turn into crybabies once changing the ladder in some way or another.

Fix
Developer
Developer
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMO, TMS

Post by Fix » 14 Mar 2006 08:14

I have some suggestions to your very interesting debate =)

-Counter Track-farming by diminishing the amount of gained points after playing too many times a track (excepted maybe ESWC month tracks/per month).

-Reset Ladder to zero every month. And get a "by year" ranking by additioning all months rankings. Team Ladder may stay as it is now, I think it doesn't sufferthat farming effect yet .

-Allow user to "ignore" ladder infos (they've ladder ranking, but they'll never see any points results, excepted maybe the nations ladder at launch), it's a kind of filter for those that really don't want tp play ladder. It's a light version of official mode ON/OFF.

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMNF, TMUF
Manialink(s): zooz

Post by Zooz » 14 Mar 2006 11:54

Ogro wrote:I have some suggestions to your very interesting debate =)

-Counter Track-farming by diminishing the amount of gained points after playing too many times a track (excepted maybe ESWC month tracks/per month).
What, so I would have to play on those crap custom servers where all tracks are lagmonsters with 4000+ coppers by default because I don't gain points any more on the Nadeo tracks? No thanks...

Fix
Developer
Developer
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMO, TMS

Post by Fix » 14 Mar 2006 12:39

You come to another problem : server quality.
Also, Pro tracks were the February ESWC tracks, so according to my suggestion, you would have been able to play them, until march packs comes (the laggmonster tracks in this pack are an exception, I think next paks will be more democratics).

Koroner
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMN, TMU

Post by Koroner » 14 Mar 2006 14:47

I have some suggestions to your very interesting debate =)

What, so I would have to play on those crap custom servers where all tracks are lagmonsters with 4000+ coppers by default because I don't gain points any more on the Nadeo tracks? No thanks...
I agree with Zooz when he mentions those illogical 4000+ coppers tracks which often are neither nice nor fun.

I think that this modification you suggest, Ogro, wouldn't be sufficient. IMO we need to precisely target those noobish tracks like beginner ones, making them "unraceable" for high-ranked players. This is very hard, if not impossible, being there many short tracks that actually are very nice and in some way difficult (at least which requires ability to be played properly, think about some fast advanced).
In other words - and as a general rule - I wish I could ban the tracks in which no player can improve his/her driving skills, and beginner and ladder-boosting tracks perfectly fall into this cathegory.

As an example, yesterday noon I felt again disappointed since in many races I had being overtaking two <400 ranked guys by 3-4 seconds per track.
Now... I must admit that I knew very well the tracks, but this is just sick. At such ranks I know people who give me gaps even of 1-1.5 seconds.
Moreover, one of them asked us in the podium, who had 1400 points at max, how could we be that fast... The whole situation was very pathetic (althought he seemed only confused and no shame could be found in his words). Surely they came from some fresh beginner points-machine they had being sticking around for all their gaming time...
Allow user to "ignore" ladder infos (they've ladder ranking, but they'll never see any points results, excepted maybe the nations ladder at launch), it's a kind of filter for those that really don't want tp play ladder. It's a light version of official mode ON/OFF.
I thought about it too, and it would be a nice feature.

adzik
highway camper
highway camper

Post by adzik » 14 Mar 2006 21:23

There are usually 2 servers available in Estonia and they have players with very different ranks from 9th till 1000th in the EST ladder and we're having tons of fun on the harder tracks.

Come join if you want, we won't bite ;)

BrainSmack
happy cruiser
happy cruiser
Owned TM-games: TMNF, TMUF

Re: So *sad*

Post by BrainSmack » 24 Oct 2011 21:06

Sometimes when I poop I black out. And when I wake up, it's later.
I think my toilet is a time machine.
A change in attitude can change your life.
Click here to play in my server