FREEZONE

General Discussion about Trackmania Nations ESWC.

Moderator: TM-Patrol

Stevil79
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: TMUF

Re: FREEZONE

Post by Stevil79 » 11 Dec 2010 15:23

Florent wrote:But there something interesting in your approach, but keep in mind that they would be able to create another account and that we also want to start working on the welcome of new players. One the main feedback we have is often that the player servers are with a lot of expert stuff (tracks, plug ins) etc. It makes them funnier, but maybe a little less welcoming for newbie. We will try to work on that and maybe ask players who want to participate to this, to be in. To have a way to better welcome the new players is a project since a long time, and suggested server was designed to be the starting point. We intented to provide 'newbie welcoming server' pass to selected host (a little like ladder server) but never did it. We have to deal with the lack of time on many topics, like a lot of people should do ^_^

for the freezone current servers, most graphic have been unactivated and you can still use the parental lock function that is available in the launcher of the game (that I recommend even on player servers if you are worried about this subject)

it is a starting situation and will see how it evolves with time.
If we're talking new player experience and learning curves, let me tell you that to play tracks like "Dutch Delight" for the first time is more important in the learning curve than it is to play 'A3' or 'C5'. It was tracks like DD that kept me coming back for more. Be careful not to make your new player experience flat and one dimensional because people are very fickle these days and this game is not getting any younger. It's the community that drives the game's evolution with their creativity remember!!

Whatever you decide to do I hope that you set a time limit for a review of this change. You need to be realistic and honest and ask yourself whether it has actually generated any extra revenues.

If you would like another suggestion on how to increase revenues why not tap into the existing and bulging social networking market rather than creating your own. a Tie-in with Facebook for example could open up another massive customer base to you without hurting your existing base. The fact that TM is already popular with women and children should be a driver for you to try and reach other markets like this. This is a long-term idea, but a plug-in for Facebook could be all the advertising you need to see the growth you're looking for.
Click --> here <-- to join the LOVESHACK server

Gekko
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: ALL

Post by Gekko » 11 Dec 2010 15:31

I agree with you, i developed a FB app and this app done 500 users a day.
Imagine if they add a advertise on there, but this must be done on january 2010, now is obsolete (TM2 coming out).
Maybe it will be good if they do it for TM2.

HoffernJr
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMNF, TMN

Post by HoffernJr » 11 Dec 2010 15:33

HoffernJr wrote:I don't own a tmuf myself, and I don't think I am going to buy one either.
An old game for $39,99 is too much money. I have been playing TM since it started, but this is the worst thing that has happend.

And I don't think many other people will buy tmuf either. If Nadeo has so much financial trouble that they have to change the hole game without a warning, then I wouldn't buy the game for $40 and then after a month see that Nadeo is bankrupt. Why by a "expensive" game that you don't know how long you can play.

Hope you the best Nadeo, and hopefully you will find a better solution!

HoffernJr*

Why not make the game a bit less expensive? $40 is a lot of money for an old game, and why not implement a donate button aswell? I would gladly donate some money for you. And I don't get why you didn't warn the comunity. You are saying that you didn't have time? well it takes time to make this changes.. And the coding doesn't come over night.. So why not inform us about the change before you implement the changes..

I hope Nadeo all the best, and I hope that the freezone servers will be better eventually. (As lille said, there should be some admins on the servers. Without that people are going to mess up the server with votes, spamm and abusive language)

Florent
Developer
Developer

Post by Florent » 11 Dec 2010 15:36

stevil, we will improve the solution like admins always want to improve their own servers. It will probably include players that what to participate in order to make this dimension you talk more in it. We are aware of this TM taste, and we are behind it since we started the development more than 8 years ago.
As for facebook app, we generated not enough sales with it. Keep in mind that it costs really a lot to run a studio like our, and also that there is already 8 million registred players into TM. the trouble is more in the advertising revenues and conversion rate in my oppinion.

Hoffern, reduce the price is a double edge sword. The more we reduce it, the sooner we need players to convert. So, we need to make them more obliged to do it. If we want to make 'Forever' last long, it is more difficult to lower the price. Unfortunately, the question is even more complicated since some distributor are fixing the price by themselves and creating big differences in prices. that's a topic we will need to look after beginning of next year.

gekko, this is not a Ubisoft policy question and I have not read that they are againt dedicated server somewhere. I am plainly for it and we are even working on some improvments on this side. Look for other company to say this.

It does not mean that first to be stroke by the new measure are not the current server admins and like I said, we will see how we can set up a system to make them more involved. Now, there are situation that we need to react upon. It is up to everybody to make it in a negative or positive way. The coppers solution is maybe the most interesting and suggested one so far. I will see what planning we can have with it, but it requires first to double check all the consequences it could have. Maybe we should even put this with another units, like ticket, being necessary to be in the freezone but being distributed when converting players. Not that simple I think.

HoffernJr
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMNF, TMN

Post by HoffernJr » 11 Dec 2010 15:44

I understand the problems you are having and appreciate the hard work. Keep it up :D

Gekko
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by Gekko » 11 Dec 2010 15:46

Well, if i search on google, i found always Ubisoft is against dedicated.
I will attach some links later.

Why don't adapt TMF to the Planet resetting all players and introducing it also to free players????
Let the free player can buy Planets and play tracks spending Planets....
Some Examples :
1 Planet = 1 Track
1 Planet cost 0.01€
100 Planet Enable ENV for 24 hours = 1€

So you will find TMF and TM2 already connected on the same currency.
I appreciate this kind of improvvise change, not the hiding of servers.

P.S.: and let the servers earn 5% of the earning!!!!!!! Create a loop is the key, be innovativeeeee!!! :thumbsup:

CavalierDeVache
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: tmu tmn tms tmo

Post by CavalierDeVache » 11 Dec 2010 16:28

Florent wrote: For direct hosting open to all, write <hide_server>1</hide_server> in the command line and use
tmtp://#join=serverlogin
Florent, I think this would work better with <hide_server>2</hide_server> since this will hide the servers from the TMNF server browser, but still allow them to work normally in TMUF. I tested it this morning and was able to join my Nations test server from Maniazones using the join server link, and also by searching in the game browser for the server login.

My test server

Edit: it worked earlier to use hide server 2, but doesn't now. The server must also be hidden from TMUF players in the game browser :(
Last edited by CavalierDeVache on 11 Dec 2010 19:10, edited 1 time in total.

Flint
cyclist
cyclist
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMN

Post by Flint » 11 Dec 2010 16:45

Florent,

My friend created a pirate Lineage server a few years ago. He was living out of in-game sales.. items.. buffs, etc. His server got so popular the company responsible for the game gave him a license to run it (not sure about the terms).

The thing is. He runs 3 servers now and will never have to work again in his life.

That´s the main reason we have so many MMORPGs being released everyday.

Maybe the best solution to keep the game alive would be creating something that could be bought, but not tracks or skins, something the players would be willing to pay for.

And from my experience with online games, there´s one thing I know people really care about. Titles and recognition. We could work on something like titleranks, special leagues, special teams, restricted in-game contents for premium players.. for Stadium. For that´s the only enviroment people really care about.

Take Guildwars as an example, how do they survive after selling their games if they have no monthly fee? In game content. From the main menu you´re able to access the store, buy different stuff that won´t actually make you supperior, and check out in less than 3 mins using a credit card or paypal.

There is no easier way to get money than to make people desire something. And let´s face the true, those extra enviroments are not something most of us would be willing to pay for. We´re competition players.

w1lla
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMN, TMF
Manialink(s): intr

Post by w1lla » 11 Dec 2010 16:59

I have a few questions:

I know it doesn't bother us as a community. But what happened with the Deal nadeo made with UBI?

I hope nadeo got money for the hard work they made in the past 10 years. Also the options when bought should have been that there has to be an income for nadeo besides a buy-off.

Code: Select all

tmnforever is nations and united makes it special. tmnforever has united. I need united!

Gekko
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by Gekko » 11 Dec 2010 17:48

Flint wrote:Florent,

My friend created a pirate Lineage server a few years ago. He was living out of in-game sales.. items.. buffs, etc. His server got so popular the company responsible for the game gave him a license to run it (not sure about the terms).

The thing is. He runs 3 servers now and will never have to work again in his life.

That´s the main reason we have so many MMORPGs being released everyday.

Maybe the best solution to keep the game alive would be creating something that could be bought, but not tracks or skins, something the players would be willing to pay for.

And from my experience with online games, there´s one thing I know people really care about. Titles and recognition. We could work on something like titleranks, special leagues, special teams, restricted in-game contents for premium players.. for Stadium. For that´s the only enviroment people really care about.

Take Guildwars as an example, how do they survive after selling their games if they have no monthly fee? In game content. From the main menu you´re able to access the store, buy different stuff that won´t actually make you supperior, and check out in less than 3 mins using a credit card or paypal.

There is no easier way to get money than to make people desire something. And let´s face the true, those extra enviroments are not something most of us would be willing to pay for. We´re competition players.
SUPER MEGA QUOTEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
You understand what i mean when i say a loop commerce between Admins and Companies !!!! :3

MINICIBER
cyclist
cyclist
Owned TM-games: TMU

Post by MINICIBER » 11 Dec 2010 17:53

Arni wrote:
Florent wrote:
Arni wrote:@ Florent, you can add 3 servers to your favs. But how often you can change them? unlimited?
yes, it is unlimited.

go in the player page to remove, and you can add through a simple click
thanks mate :)
i can add 8 servers from nations :roflol:

Katagrama
road tourist
road tourist
Owned TM-games: TMNF

Post by Katagrama » 11 Dec 2010 18:06

Flint wrote:Maybe the best solution to keep the game alive would be creating something that could be bought, but not tracks or skins, something the players would be willing to pay for.
Best thing I read in this 40 pages.
Gekko wrote:Why don't adapt TMF to the Planet resetting all players and introducing it also to free players????
Now thats the best thing xD.
And my suggestion is:
The TMF or TM2 user who want to host a server should pay Planets to nadeo/ubi and his server should have ads.
Each player who want to join the server should play planets.
Nadeo/ubi receives 95% of the earning.
Gekko wrote:and let the servers earn 5% of the earning
thats it!

Gekko
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by Gekko » 11 Dec 2010 18:19

I agree, connecting this to what said Flint, is all a mega CIRCLE that build JOBS, MONEY and INVESTORS.

fordry
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMUF TMN

Post by fordry » 11 Dec 2010 19:14

I know you are working on a solution to allow for a more eased up state eventually. What im wondering is if, similar to the ranked server system in a way, if there could be a method to get certain approved community servers into the freezone with specific requirements like the advertising of TMU or whatever. I know of several servers that would fall into the category of a strong base group of players who are friendly and would make a much better intro to the game than the current freezone servers. Even if these were hand selected servers asked if they would like to be a part of this or if there was a selection process or whatever. But it would make sense because the random freezone servers will never reach the level of friendliness and community that a number of the community servers currently have.

Just off the top of my head I can think of Lets Rock!!, COS|Fullspeed, Some of the Nascar servers, Zero, Nations Speed Addiction, Gekko's tps servers, LOL fun, and the HOT servers. All are popular and open and inviting to anyone and well moderated and I know im probably leaving out some but these are just some of the more major ones i know about.

ph07
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: TMNF

Post by ph07 » 11 Dec 2010 19:41

hello ;)

can someone help me?
my probelem is that i can't a add a server to my favouritelist (Elias Lol Mania)
this is the link but it doesn't work:

tmtp://#addfavourite=fbi-mini-speed Elias'

i haven't got a server in my favouritelist (i looked on my playerpage)

Thanks for answer :)

Ph07