FREEZONE

General Discussion about Trackmania Nations ESWC.

Moderator: TM-Patrol

oscarian
cyclist
cyclist
Owned TM-games: TMU

Re: FREEZONE

Post by oscarian » 13 Dec 2010 15:08

oscarian wrote:(ps: for those on the long sleigh tonight, i'm listening to d.d. streetjam right now, at the same time as sending them to gray,)
pps: check times. fb, twit.
Last edited by oscarian on 13 Dec 2010 19:02, edited 1 time in total.

Trackmaniack
solid chaser
solid chaser
Owned TM-games: All

Post by Trackmaniack » 13 Dec 2010 15:31

See, now what I don't understand is this.
1) Everybody that's on here complaining about this has an e-mail address. Otherwise they couldn't have joined the TM-Forum

2) Same goes for the server admins of the freezone (and non-freezone servers)

3) The server admins know the direct server login path, or at least they should, as they made the server.

4) It should be a simple matter to send a mass e-mail to their clan, their racemates, or whoever with nothing more than the subject line Server Login and then the name of the server in the body of the e-mail.

Florent isn't saying you can't do it...****, he's even offering a way around it for those that are enough into Trackmania to do it. It seems to me that all the whiners are just lazy.

And as for the people saying that Nations is the best environment, I don't know what you're smoking, but can I have some? :roflol: You must be playing on the wrong servers. I admit, some of the Bay tracks get a little too platformy at times for my taste, but go DL some of the original Sunrise tracks (on TMX, they're on there) and play them. Then you'll see why Island is awesome, and Bay is funky, and Coast is downright badass (and maddening at the same time). Seriously. Nations is only for those who don't have the guts to try real racing. ;) :P The Stadium is the one that's the most like any other racing game out there, just with a few loops and jumps thrown in.
Cruisin' through life, TM-Style!

jamie_macdonald
speed demon
speed demon
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TMNF, TMS
Manialink(s): ET

Post by jamie_macdonald » 13 Dec 2010 15:40

dangerous words Trackmaniack :lol:

I like them all (enviro's) and i can't liken any other game i have exprienced to stadium (maybe i missed that one? ^^).

They are all awesome to drive in their own different way and stadium has a massive achievment under it's belt, that is being able to play on almost any controller available (even at such a low cost as a keyboard alone).

The problem with stadium is not anything "wrong" as such, it's more that it's entirely different to the rest of the TMO/TMS enviro's. so people get an entirely different game style (maybe something they did not expect?). So it's just too damn good from all angles (hence the need to "flatten the features" a little).

The moaning about getting something for free taken away, rather than a thanks for letting us have it for so long is annoying i do understand completely ;)

Well that's what i guess anyway, not sure others feel the same hehe :thumbsup:

Trackmaniack
solid chaser
solid chaser
Owned TM-games: All

Post by Trackmaniack » 13 Dec 2010 15:41

jamie_macdonald wrote:dangerous words Trackmaniack :lol:
You should know by now I like to poke the hornet's nest. :lol: Besides, being right isn't always popular. ;)

I will agree with you about the massive openness of the Stadium enviro, which was much more so than any previous environment. However, I stick by my previous statement that Nations is a lot like the other F1 racing games in its handling...it's the fact that the turning is slow and broad, it has a stable base, yada yada yada. The other 6 environments are more touchy, more sensitive, and offer more of a challenge. And, by that token, I think they're better than Nations, even though on the face of it, Nations is more visually impressive...
Cruisin' through life, TM-Style!

jamie_macdonald
speed demon
speed demon
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TMNF, TMS
Manialink(s): ET

Post by jamie_macdonald » 13 Dec 2010 15:52

Each to their own, and yup popularity is not something i gain much hehe :thumbsup:

I still think stadium is a little mis-understood in that respect, allthough i completely get the "direct steering" link. Island/Bay are my fav's (and fastest i guess). but allthough indirect and "delayed" as you put it (especially drifting pro style), would this not mean more skill is needed to think before the corner and place correctly the drift, rather than reactinf to instant changes and direct steering? (in other words, more difficult to master).

It's hard to compare things that are so different i guess, both have their merits and skills to master.

But hey i find difficulty in either method, so this old man will struggle either way xD

weerwolf1
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: All but original

Post by weerwolf1 » 13 Dec 2010 17:01

Trackmaniack wrote:See, now what I don't understand is this.
1) Everybody that's on here complaining about this has an e-mail address. Otherwise they couldn't have joined the TM-Forum

2) Same goes for the server admins of the freezone (and non-freezone servers)

3) The server admins know the direct server login path, or at least they should, as they made the server.

4) It should be a simple matter to send a mass e-mail to their clan, their racemates, or whoever with nothing more than the subject line Server Login and then the name of the server in the body of the e-mail.

Florent isn't saying you can't do it...****, he's even offering a way around it for those that are enough into Trackmania to do it. It seems to me that all the whiners are just lazy.

And as for the people saying that Nations is the best environment, I don't know what you're smoking, but can I have some? :roflol: You must be playing on the wrong servers. I admit, some of the Bay tracks get a little too platformy at times for my taste, but go DL some of the original Sunrise tracks (on TMX, they're on there) and play them. Then you'll see why Island is awesome, and Bay is funky, and Coast is downright badass (and maddening at the same time). Seriously. Nations is only for those who don't have the guts to try real racing. ;) :P The Stadium is the one that's the most like any other racing game out there, just with a few loops and jumps thrown in.
Thats the kind of statement i would even just throw away the game for. Im not a racer, im a LOLLER. And the best envo for that IS stadium. 67% of my clan of 56 players has bought the game. 90% is playing on stadium. I had my issues with trackmania before. Getting LOL style out of the ladder, not be-able to get a roc server after 1 years of savings... Still im here. Still i run servers for coast, stunt etc. At this point im in doubt. And for that matter, if theres no style LOL to create in TM2 i would not buy it. The love for te game is that is so flexible in so many things..

WTF would i buy TM for racing!! - Plenty of those games around!
LYNX°°°° - Maniaplanet Gaming Community!
news | clan | community | & more
°°°°

pobmaestro
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMUF, TMWii

Post by pobmaestro » 13 Dec 2010 17:10

My take is that I would expect those who have played Nations for a long period of time would have more of a liking for the Stadium environment as they will no doubt be used to that type of handling model. If they were to buy TMUF and then go straight to a Coast server they will almost certainly hate it to death and never return. This is because each environment is completely different in nearly every single aspect, and so cannot be compared. The real reason to buy TMUF in my opinion is to fully open up Trackmania and have access to all the environments and have a more varied and thus prolonged racing experience. Therefore I suppose those who are content with Stadium and do not want to venture into the other - may I say, equally brilliant - environments have less of a need to buy the full game, except now to unlock other aspects such as server browsing, increased MP ladder points and the like.
weerwolf1 wrote:WTF would i buy TM for racing!! - Plenty of those games around!
Maybe because Trackmania can be big LOL fun whilst racing too :thumbsup:

Frostbeule
happy cruiser
happy cruiser
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMU, TMUF, TMNF

Post by Frostbeule » 13 Dec 2010 17:34

talk about pointless discussion... people like different things, yo.

bear
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: 2 tmuf

Post by bear » 13 Dec 2010 18:08

can we have a freezone server in Venezuela?

an idea can be to add ads in in-game signs, asking the player if he want to support enabling that

something that makes some players to not buy the game is that they dont know what united give, maybe you need to do more marketing

what about to give a trial nations version and once some months pass the game lock somethings like the editor or anything else, but a lock in the game not in the account with an update that makes it annoy to crack

a shop with especial content would be cool

IRs:bear

weerwolf1
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: All but original

Post by weerwolf1 » 13 Dec 2010 18:32

weerwolf1 wrote:WTF would i buy TM for racing!! - Plenty of those games around!
Maybe because Trackmania can be big LOL fun whilst racing too :thumbsup:
Sorry, thats what i ment offcourse, i should have typed for racing alone ;)
LYNX°°°° - Maniaplanet Gaming Community!
news | clan | community | & more
°°°°

Mort
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TMNF

Post by Mort » 13 Dec 2010 23:16

Trackmaniack wrote:See, now what I don't understand is this.
I think there may be a lot more you don't understand, but we'll save that for another time.
  • Our clan runs 8 servers, under freezone player can only have 5 favourites. So firstly they can't even have all of our clan servers listed in favourites. If they actually wanted to play on another server then that means the exercise of joining servers also involves constantly removing and adding favourites.
  • You assume that people in clans only play on their clans servers
  • What about all the non-clan people that just play for fun when they have a spare moment?
  • The United enviros can be hard to master, but they are fun, but Stadium is by far the more popular of the environments people play regardless of what your personal thoughts on the matter are.
  • I could hide the servers to make it a bit easier, but it's still a pain to join, and they would have to join each server before they could even see if anyone else is playing there.
  • hiding the servers also stops us being able to "advertise" them in the server browser. Many people used to join our servers when because they could see other people already on them
  • If all the clans were to advertise their servers, the logical place would be in these forums or by using the in-game community board. Can you imagine just how great that will be after the first 100 clan messages have spammed everyone? If someone can explain to me an effective way to "advertise" our servers I'd love to hear it.
  • If the "free" game was costing Nadeo money, then how is now hosting a bunch of Freezone servers themselves going to save them money? My servers weren't costing them anything to run, and people in our clan bought United because they liked playing our tracks. How do we attract new members now? Should I go recruiting for people on the Freezone servers?
  • There are no Freezone servers listed in my region (Australia) so that tells me anyone here has to play high latency servers in Europe/Americas or where ever they are located.
  • Who chooses the tracks that go on the Freezone servers? Our clan has a certain "style" as do many other clans, and people like to join their servers for that reason. Now we just have to hope that if we publish all our tracks that someone might randomly choose to add one or two of them?
Since the Freezone stuff was turned on, there have had almost no people playing on our servers. Even if people had us in their bookmarks before they are probably lost and forgotten now because the favourites were cut without a chance to save or view what other servers were on the list. I know what my server logins are, but I wouldn't have a clue what the other servers I play on would be.

In the server info, or when joining the server, we had a link to our website where you could get details of all our other servers. You don't get the server info anymore, just a message saying it's not a freezone server, so how do people know where to find us to get that detail?

If the free game is costing Nadeo money and they don't have a strategy to recover from that, then they should just tell people they are withdrawing TMNF. Just make the limited demo version of the full United game instead for people to try and buy so they can see all of what they are missing. Making a "free" Nations game that is crippled to work against the larger community seems unfair to that community.

I would like to hope there are still discussions going on and possible changes to what has been implemented so far, but if it stays the way it is then I would see little point in running the servers that I've had for the last 2.5 years.

BrainSmack
happy cruiser
happy cruiser
Owned TM-games: TMNF, TMUF

Post by BrainSmack » 14 Dec 2010 00:40

I know its a pointless discussion, but since im bored, i'll tell u why Stadium is the best env. :D

United envs have no realism whatsoever (Coast is getting there though)
I know its not the game from where to look for realism, but cmon, for example the Rally car has the handling of a matchbox, and Island, pfft..spastic handling and just a waste of time on keyboard :roll:

While Desert and Snow are weird and funny, they can be dealt with, even with kb
Bay..meh, just keep the track fs and under 20secs then its ok :D (actually, same goes for pretty much all tmuf)

Fun envs i agree, but cant be taken seriously :lol:

Visually they are somewhat nicer than stadium though.
A change in attitude can change your life.
Click here to play in my server

Ant
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMUF, TM Wii

Post by Ant » 14 Dec 2010 00:46

You wrote a lot, but I just want to pick up on these points.
Mort wrote:under freezone player can only have 5 favourites. So firstly they can't even have all of our clan servers listed in favourites. If they actually wanted to play on another server then that means the exercise of joining servers also involves constantly removing and adding favourites.
My brother has a Nations account, and after this Freezone change he could have 8 faves, which he's now edited himself to 6 - haven't tried more than 8 yet, but who knows eh ?
Mort wrote: Since the Freezone stuff was turned on, there have had almost no people playing on our servers. Even if people had us in their bookmarks before they are probably lost and forgotten now because the favourites were cut without a chance to save or view what other servers were on the list. I know what my server logins are, but I wouldn't have a clue what the other servers I play on would be.
Favourites weren't cut - not for my brother anyway, do you actually know people this happened to ?

Mort
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TMNF

Post by Mort » 14 Dec 2010 02:14

Ant wrote:You wrote a lot, but I just want to pick up on these points.
Yeah, sorry 'bout that but it's got me rather worked up :) At least you didn't just say TLDR;
Ant wrote:
Mort wrote: Since the Freezone stuff was turned on, there have had almost no people playing on our servers. Even if people had us in their bookmarks before they are probably lost and forgotten now because the favourites were cut without a chance to save or view what other servers were on the list. I know what my server logins are, but I wouldn't have a clue what the other servers I play on would be.
Favourites weren't cut - not for my brother anyway, do you actually know people this happened to ?
Yes, it has happened on my "other" nations account I use to test with, and many people in our clan. It's also been stated by Florent and Alinoa that 5 is how many favourites you will get (it was originally 3!). Maybe there is a bug stopping it happening to your brothers account?
tmforum3/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=27269

I also have a clan member who can't add some servers as favourites that he had before because it now tells him it is already a favourite, even though he can't see more than the last 5. He can't see them to delete them, and he can't join the server because it doesn't think he has them markes as a favourite. So there would still seem to be some bugs in the process.

Ant
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMUF, TM Wii

Post by Ant » 14 Dec 2010 02:26

Mort wrote: Yes, it has happened on my "other" nations account I use to test with, and many people in our clan. It's also been stated by Florent and Alinoa that 5 is how many favourites you will get (it was originally 3!). Maybe there is a bug stopping it happening to your brothers account?
tmforum3/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=27269
I don't know but he's not complaining anyway :)
Maybe its cos he uses his nations account in my united launcher ?
Mort wrote: I also have a clan member who can't add some servers as favourites that he had before because it now tells him it is already a favourite, even though he can't see more than the last 5. He can't see them to delete them, and he can't join the server because it doesn't think he has them markes as a favourite. So there would still seem to be some bugs in the process.
Just to check, he's tried ingame and on the TM Player Page right ?