FREEZONE

General Discussion about Trackmania Nations ESWC.

Moderator: TM-Patrol

User avatar
»Enryx«
solid chaser
solid chaser
Posts: 1227
Joined: 12 Dec 2010 20:25
Owned TM-games: TMF TMWii TM²C/S
Location: The Internet

Re: FREEZONE

Post by »Enryx« » 11 Jul 2011 20:06

Why people ban-vote me on FreeZone servers o_ò today it's the second where I am banned (Freezone Rock n' Lol)...
Image

jamie_macdonald
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Posts: 1612
Joined: 10 Jul 2008 19:48
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TMNF, TMS
Manialink(s): ET
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: FREEZONE

Post by jamie_macdonald » 12 Jul 2011 10:08

Badwolf2 wrote:@tcq
The point is though is that there is an issue, clans are closing down servers because nobody is driving on them anymore, and a lot more are sitting empty, which is good in a way I have a couple of servers i play on that were always full and so hard to get onto. Now though I can get on whenever I want, but it's damn lonely driving by myself. :pil :?
Now don't get me wrong i'm looking forward to tm2, (should have been released last year or earlier), but there is an issue with the current setup or else people would not be having to close servers and people would still be driving on the servers.
I dont think you can blame this all on the freezone to be honest, i know it affected things to a certain extent, but the fact the game is now aging, and a new one on the cards, is a MASSIVE contribution to why many are taking a break (myself included).

I know at least 50 TM players that are on a break until TM2 personally, and of the active players i speak to, that is around 80% ...

So just remember there are many contributors to a decline, including negative and presumtious comments and attitudes we see all over the place (this thread has lots for example).

Bit of positive thinking, and less assumption that you know all the contributory factors may help you gain some positive aspect on all of this i hope :thumbsup:

dylaan
highway camper
highway camper
Posts: 1
Joined: 02 Aug 2011 01:34
Owned TM-games: TMU

Re: FREEZONE

Post by dylaan » 02 Aug 2011 01:36

I've bought the game however the Australian community seems to be completely dead. Not a single player on when I checked. Thanks guys.

User avatar
Ionian
tricycle manager
tricycle manager
Posts: 26
Joined: 16 Jan 2008 01:03
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMN

Re: FREEZONE

Post by Ionian » 05 Aug 2011 22:27

dylaan wrote:I've bought the game however the Australian community seems to be completely dead. Not a single player on when I checked. Thanks guys.
Check out Madhouse (sometimes called Mkey's Madhouse), it's popular in the Australian evenings. Its a TMUF server - all 7 enviros - and it has plenty of server regs. As a pom i only get to play it when i get up early :)

N1N1
highway camper
highway camper
Posts: 3
Joined: 06 Sep 2006 10:26
Location: Belgium

Re: FREEZONE

Post by N1N1 » 10 Aug 2011 14:07

Same here in Belgium...

I played TMN for a couple of years and hosted some servers.
I bought United from the start and owned the very first TMNF server in Belgium when the game came out.
Now i have 2 TMNF servers (even paid coppers for 20K-70K) and had aprox. 4000 players per week on the servers...
Since freezone not even 10...

It was fun as long as it lasted, I haven't returned to the game as there is no fun playing alone on the servers,
so I guess its time to close the servers and put TMNU on the shelf.
Thanks guys for killing a great game !

I will return the favor to Nadeo and NOT buy TM2... EVER !

Badwolf2
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator
Posts: 15
Joined: 23 Oct 2008 04:01
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TMS, TMNF

Re: FREEZONE

Post by Badwolf2 » 23 Aug 2011 03:59

jamie_macdonald wrote: I dont think you can blame this all on the freezone to be honest, i know it affected things to a certain extent, but the fact the game is now aging, and a new one on the cards, is a MASSIVE contribution to why many are taking a break (myself included).

I know at least 50 TM players that are on a break until TM2 personally, and of the active players i speak to, that is around 80% ...

So just remember there are many contributors to a decline, including negative and presumtious comments and attitudes we see all over the place (this thread has lots for example).

Bit of positive thinking, and less assumption that you know all the contributory factors may help you gain some positive aspect on all of this i hope :thumbsup:
Well out of 9 out of 10 players i have spoken to have uninstalled the game because of the freezone and have no intention of buying TM2, which is 90%. My point here is i can quote numbers too they mean nothing really....
BUT i am very positive the community will survive, TM2 is out, well in Beta anyway, and i am loving it. Found a couple of bugs which i hope are ironed out in the final release but overall it's great.
But i still think the way in which the whole Freezone thing was handled was wrong, and i do believe that it contributed in the rapid decline in the TM community. Yes i agree a lot of people did stop playing to wait for TM2 to be released, but you only had to look at a number of clans and server that are no more and when you ask the owners there only comment is we shut them down or the clan shut down because of the freezone. :-? We had 30+ members, a mix of nations and united. After the freezone was introduced that dropped to about 19 members with only about 10 regulars, and so far we only have 10 members that have downloaded tm2.

But this discussion is mostly moot now anyway, TM2 Beta is out now, the full game is due out soon. So see you all on the track.

thesir
highway camper
highway camper
Posts: 2
Joined: 24 Aug 2011 22:40
Owned TM-games: TMNU

Re: FREEZONE

Post by thesir » 24 Aug 2011 23:24

I installed the game after not playing it for 3 years. My account still worked so that was pretty cool until i was playing on a server and i became a spectator after a few races. 'Freezone' hmm whats this now and reading the FAQ i dind't understand the point of the freezone and still dont understand it.

Maybe someone can explain it to me but first why would i upgrade my account? I just want to play nations united in a crappy wannabee formula car on weird tracks when im bored at work or what ever. If i want to play a proper race game there are way better options and there always will be.

What i'm also trying to figure out is whats the point of this freezone? You guys need money for the new trackmania with a desperate attempt to force players to start paying for a out-dated game? You really think a lot new players will purchase a account after playing 5 rounds on a lot of tracks you have to play at leat 50 times before even thinking about making it to the finish in a game thats out-dated? Why you need the money anway?

Or are you simple trying to eliminate nations forever in this way so not the entire community turns up against you because it's not profitable anymore (what costs do you even have lol) or you just dont want to continue? Because well you give it a shot this way while everyone knows this is pointless and doomed to fail.

I dont understand the point of it all, i really dont but thanks for the fun i had in the past with it.

jamie_macdonald
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Posts: 1612
Joined: 10 Jul 2008 19:48
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TMNF, TMS
Manialink(s): ET
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: FREEZONE

Post by jamie_macdonald » 25 Aug 2011 13:51

@Badwolf2:

"Well out of 9 out of 10 players i have spoken to have uninstalled the game because of the freezone and have no intention of buying TM2, which is 90%. My point here is i can quote numbers too they mean nothing really.... "

Correct with regards to not meaning much, as far as i see it 9/10 players from nations i know, are in Canyon and enjoying after a purchase (even some of those who griped in this very thread) :thumbsup:

I do of course understand its annoying in the freezone, and the games decline in population has been dire as of late but this is mainly due to the new game and the old one, well being old also.

I will still use TMU time to time for a non Canyon spin myself, and love some of those older environments dearly <3

@thesir:

"Maybe someone can explain it to me but first why would i upgrade my account? I just want to play nations united in a crappy wannabee formula car on weird tracks when im bored at work or what ever. If i want to play a proper race game there are way better options and there always will be"

Peer to peer functions, increased LP ability in non stadium environments, and to support the dev who supplied you with all the fun?

"What i'm also trying to figure out is whats the point of this freezone? You guys need money for the new trackmania with a desperate attempt to force players to start paying for a out-dated game? You really think a lot new players will purchase a account after playing 5 rounds on a lot of tracks you have to play at leat 50 times before even thinking about making it to the finish in a game thats out-dated? Why you need the money anway?"

You miss the point that it's not a case of earning money from new players to remove the freezone, (people were buying anyway before and after the advertising revenue fall), it's merely a case of the revenue is now not paying for the traffic on the server ...so population reductions were the only way (i presume another option would be subscription, but would you really subscribe to a 5 year old game as put so many times in this thread).

"(what costs do you even have lol) "

You try running master servers for TMO, TMOPO, TMS, TMSX, TMN ESWC, TMN, TMU, TMNF, TMNF variants and see if your ISP charges you for the traffic, i think this at least should be obvious to anyone with any hosting knowledge whatsoever... At least they continue to support us with all they can (money does not grow on tree's i guess xD)

"thanks for the fun i had in the past with it"

Thats a rare thing to see around here, and i'm sure the dev's will love to see that at least you have enjoyed yourself.

Stijn-63
highway camper
highway camper
Posts: 1
Joined: 25 Aug 2011 16:09
Owned TM-games: trachmania
Manialink(s): my

Re: FREEZONE

Post by Stijn-63 » 25 Aug 2011 17:18

How can i have FREENZONE

thesir
highway camper
highway camper
Posts: 2
Joined: 24 Aug 2011 22:40
Owned TM-games: TMNU

Re: FREEZONE

Post by thesir » 26 Aug 2011 14:15

jamie_macdonald wrote: Peer to peer functions, increased LP ability in non stadium environments, and to support the dev who supplied you with all the fun?
peer2-peer functions for what?
Non-stadium environments? If you played nations you dont want anything else then stadium environments.... At least i dont, nations was fine as it was otherwise you dind't had so many players. I dont have problems supporting a developer but i do when the game is on its last legs and i have no interest in a other game then nations.
jamie_macdonald wrote: You try running master servers for TMO, TMOPO, TMS, TMSX, TMN ESWC, TMN, TMU, TMNF, TMNF variants and see if your ISP charges you for the traffic, i think this at least should be obvious to anyone with any hosting knowledge whatsoever... At least they continue to support us with all they can (money does not grow on tree's i guess xD)
I run mutiple servers (shells,game servers,webhosting,fileservers etc) and i know what i costs (not a lot these days anymore, traffic became cheap, gbit unlimited colo links for 30 dollars with great routing... **** i even have gbit at home for 50 dollars unlimited a month) but how many nations servers does Nadeo itself hosts? Not a lot i think at least that wasn't the case before and one master server (who only have to list other servers and some stats) isn't that expensive. So if traffic it's the problem i got a few empty racks you can have, np but that's not it.

You can say what ever you want but this freezone thing is just a attempt to either shutting down nations or squeezing some money out of it while they can. There's no other option left, otherwise they wouldn't introduce a weird freezone that is useless.

And another thing i dont get, why would anyone start a freezone server? Whats the benefit from that?

jamie_macdonald
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Posts: 1612
Joined: 10 Jul 2008 19:48
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TMNF, TMS
Manialink(s): ET
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: FREEZONE

Post by jamie_macdonald » 26 Aug 2011 21:02

"just a attempt to either shutting down nations"

No it's an attempt to reduce traffic/cost ...Read the OP for a clear explanation ;)

"why would anyone start a freezone server? Whats the benefit from that?"

To have some exposure in the stadium arena, it's pretty simple i think?

"I run mutiple servers (shells,game servers,webhosting,fileservers etc) and i know what i costs"

You obviously didnt have quite as much traffic if it's affordable then :thumbsup:

NOTE: I'm not fond of the change either, but i understand why and am thanful for the fun, maybe you should try the same humble approach ...there will be better times of course :)

User avatar
svens
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Posts: 304
Joined: 05 Dec 2009 23:30
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TMS, TMO
Location: Bern, CH
Contact:

Re: FREEZONE

Post by svens » 26 Aug 2011 22:08

jamie_macdonald wrote:No it's an attempt to reduce traffic/cost ...Read the OP for a clear explanation ;)
...
You obviously didnt have quite as much traffic if it's affordable then :thumbsup:
Okay since when is this about reducing traffic or costs?

Fun-fact: traffic is quite cheap. But that's not the point, running a master server requires other more expensive things. Another fun-fact: many of the games I bought in the past still have their master servers running.. It's kinda mandatory to not shut them down if you need them to play online.

iGNiTeR™
highway camper
highway camper
Posts: 3
Joined: 04 Sep 2011 04:51
Owned TM-games: NFSW

Re: FREEZONE

Post by iGNiTeR™ » 04 Sep 2011 04:58

Your company is so absent minded.

Do YOU realize how many people you will lose because of the spectator forced waiting.

ALOT, and I as a matter fact I am in no mood to support your game I can just uninstall nations and be done with it you don't deserve the money, for you to treat free players like that, just because your contract broke you now all of a sudden make a change without telling anyone like that bloody brit Mark Zuckerberg has being doing to facebook for ages?! Yeah your contract goes out and you can't get advertising who cares find someone who can code advertisements into the game it's not that hard, don't turn around and pull this crap there is always a better option then forcing an addicted player to wait a massive 1 race spectator cap every 5 races.. FIND SOMEONE TO CODE IT OR FIND ANOTHER WAY TO DO THIS OR WE CAN ALL NOT SUPPORT YOUR GAME :thumbsup:

your choice..lose 90% players because of a stupid mistake

or fix it and not lose your income..

I can garantee you right now almost everone playing nations is ticked about the waiting on any-game it's not right it's not fair your contracts are YOUR ISSUES DO NOT take it out on the players like we did something wrong, figure out how to fix your contract not make players make the time for it.. cough cough fail :roflol:

pjoter69
highway camper
highway camper
Posts: 4
Joined: 21 Feb 2008 07:45
Owned TM-games: TMN

Re: FREEZONE

Post by pjoter69 » 01 Oct 2011 23:46

Hey all, especially Florent :)
Brief introduction - I am Peter, and I am from Slovakia :) I, and last survivors of our slovak Trackmania scene, greets you.

As we know, Trackmania Nations Forever was free, because it has an advertisements in it. It was a best solution, and we all remember times,
when we can join any server in any country of world - my best 2 years since 2007 till 2009 with TMNF. :?
As you said, Florent, you and your employees need a money. Trackmania Nations Forever needed (yes, NEEDED) a money to be a free game for all.

Did anybody keep in mind, that Nadeo has a money right now ? And he don't need to sell TMUF ?! :wink:

Nadeo, why UBISOFT can't sponsored a Trackmania Nations Forever ? We all know, that Ubisoft is a big company, you released TM2 - Canyon etc.
Why Trackmania Nations Forever can't have ingame advertisements for UBISOFT ? It's hard to make it, or simply I don't understand the management and trading of products, or what ?
Or Freezone was a best solution to kill the game, hoping, that all will come to TM2 - Canyon ?

Maybe I just asked a question, which is here already, but... I just want a simple answer. Goodbye from Slovakia :)

weerwolf1
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Posts: 236
Joined: 08 May 2008 09:25
Owned TM-games: All but original
Location: The Netherlands

Re: FREEZONE

Post by weerwolf1 » 02 Oct 2011 17:12

Florent wrote: For your information, around one third of connections are from paying accounts. The Nadeo team is working hard to have the capacity for all simultaneous players using free accounts. If we encounter unforeseen issues, we will try to adapt quickly to the situation and we apologized before if we create troubles. We have been informed really late by our partner that they are shutting down our contracts, and we now have to quickly adapt.

Looking forward to your comments
Florent
Nadeo Managing Director
The first post, dated 9 december 2010.
Dispite all the discussion for positive & negative reasons, the change has been implemented harshly & un-notified. Thus far for that point.

The only change made to the basic concept of the freezone is that we 'were allowed' to create freezone's. Freezones servers that cost coppers - so can only be started by those who already paid.

But now.... 9 months later .....
Still the freezone concept is 'We are experimenting with the Freezone rules' . How can you ever expect those players to buy the game if you say you are experimenting???? I'm sure there are plenty that don't give a *, but keeping that statement for 9 months ain't commercial.

In this 9 months i have welcomed (a sort of) already 3 lifted clans into our LYNX community (or clan, what you desire :P). And so i see that it is going to be a slow and painful death in the end.

What Nadeo needs to do in my opinion is to really state out that Trackmania Forever is still an excellent game, worth buying, but with 3 things: 1) Make a definite rule on freezone. 2) Undo the manialive thingy and make a xaseco controller version only. 3) Lower the price for Trackmania forever to max 20,00 euro.

(i now about the manialive-xaseco bridge - but its crap to have to instances for every gameserver).

With Regards,

Weerwolf
Clanfounder of LYNX
LYNX°°°° - Maniaplanet Gaming Community!
news | clan | community | & more
°°°°

Post Reply