FREEZONE

General Discussion about Trackmania Nations ESWC.

Moderator: TM-Patrol

Florent
Developer
Developer

Re: FREEZONE

Post by Florent » 09 Dec 2010 18:49

My best suggestion is to see first how to adapt with the favorite server and tmtp link (one click to add a favorite server is quite easy from my point of view)
After, once you have tried with the current situation, come back with the best feedback as possible so we can improve the system without diminishing the principles.

keep in mind that the announcement of Microsoft is somehow the same. I could have told them: hmmm, I have to pay the salary with advertising, etc. Do you have any suggestions? In fact, we are adapting to the new situation. Our goal is obviously to keep Forever in the best situation as possible and make it live for as long as possible. So, if there is a way to keep the players without the capacity to buy the game and still make more player pay (if they are in a team, with a 3D computer and online access... as long as they can buy the game, I believe we deserve that they do it)

you can PM alinoa with the issues you are having with the new situation, but please wait a little before and try to find your own solution first, like we did.

(And I am to slow to answer first, but here is my post. Thanks Jamie ^_^)

jamie_macdonald
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TMNF, TMS
Manialink(s): ET

Post by jamie_macdonald » 09 Dec 2010 18:52

Lol thanks for the sales comment hotrod, i do think they deserve it for all the support over the years. I'm sure in good old nadeo fashion they will find a better solution soon.

And yeah bergie it will be very awkward. But we can add tmtp favourite links for the servers setup. It will be the only way i guess (disaster recovery).

Bergie
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by Bergie » 09 Dec 2010 18:54

You will kill the game with this, im sure of it. I personally have a TMU-account so for me this change is not a disaster, but do you honestly expect every single TMNF-player to buy a TMUF-account now? Why would events and tournaments pick up this game now that its not free anymore, and you cant join a server unless you have it in your favorites or got a TMUF-account? You surely must understand that this is not a great idea, and you wont keep TMNF in the best situation as possible with this move..

Florent
Developer
Developer

Post by Florent » 09 Dec 2010 18:55

Bergie wrote:Why oh why did you do this.. First of all, we didnt even get a notice before this change was due to happen. Secondly, we are in Semifinals and WB-final of STC/NC and now you do this? How the heck are we gonna be able to play the matches now? This is just silly, hope you fix it back to how it was before, or atleast make it a bit easier for people without a TMU_account to join specific servers..
We can not make a specific rule or timing. We are going through holiday season and I want the people that work at Nadeo to be able to take their day with their family without having a mess to handle. We have a limited amount of time before this time arrives.

We were not sure we would be able to do it at the right timing before this week (as you can see the Microsoft announce is not from long ago, and we have been alerted at the same time) So, announcing it, even if it would have been better, was difficult.

I would have like to have time to go and look after all the current impacts it could have, but I have too many things to do at the moment. I have meetings every days until christmas.

We are really sorry to create all the troubles, but we ask you to make effort to find the best solutions. Like we had to do. I don't expect all the players to buy a united account, since I know some can not. In some country, the game is not distributed and they don't have credit card. This is also why we made this favorite server access. Meanwhile, if they want to make competition and don't want to add/remove a server from their favorite, it is sad, but there is a limit of what we can offer.

Bergie
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by Bergie » 09 Dec 2010 18:57

Well of course we will try to make the best out of the situation, but you could atleast make it so that players can join through tmtp-link with a TMNF-account:/ Anyway I hope we'll see positive changes in the near future.

Frostbeule
happy cruiser
happy cruiser
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMU, TMUF, TMNF

Post by Frostbeule » 09 Dec 2010 19:00

well, this sure isn't optimal. and the fact that you can only have 3 favorite servers complicates things further. this system actually reminds me of the online system in the nintendo wii where you have to add a billion codes. not optimal at all, especially not for competitive gaming. you should have announced this a long time ago.
Last edited by Frostbeule on 09 Dec 2010 19:02, edited 1 time in total.

Hotrod
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator
Owned TM-games: TMU

Post by Hotrod » 09 Dec 2010 19:00

Agree 100% with Bergie, this is way to drastic and devestating to ongoing cups

lille79
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMNF, TMUF

Post by lille79 » 09 Dec 2010 19:00

I (personally) think I'm not a negative person, but at the moment, a couple of hours after reading this the first time, I can't see this as anything other than a total crushing of the TM-community. OK, I know many people have payed accounts, and I also know Nadeo needs more people to pay for the game, but the moment you make it difficult for people to join the servers they like (no, 3 servers won't help much), is the moment things start to go wrong. Me, and many others, go to servers with players on the server, not always favourite servers.

Bergie mentions competition and servers, and I must agree. Now you suddenly can't join a match-server without it being on your favourite "list". Now people can't spec a match either? And what does this do with relay-servers? I guess they have to be registered server-accounts?

tmtp-links is one thing, but from my experience, tmtp-links is something 80% of TM-people have NO relation to what so ever. :P
/lille79
Old man of the Norwegian Trackmania team Super Sheep Racing
To visit my homepage/blog, and download the usbTMFserver, this is the place to go.

jamie_macdonald
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TMNF, TMS
Manialink(s): ET

Post by jamie_macdonald » 09 Dec 2010 19:01

No problem florent i do understand and deal with such situations alot in work. So i know patience is needed here.

After all the years you guys have suppprted tm and its 'many flavours' with complete consideration for all of users of the great game. It is only right we pay back this consideration as you guys need to eat and pay your mortgages the same as the rest of us.

I agree it is not a good situation for many, but would the complete starvation and eviction of
nadeo crew be a better one? ...no

Cant wait for this to settle and i understand the fustrations. So please all just understand the situation in full before ranting at the team. Many of us know how good they are compared to normal developers!

Thanks,

Florent
Developer
Developer

Post by Florent » 09 Dec 2010 19:02

Bergie: we will see what will be the next option. As you can see, we have made the change without making an obligatory update for all players. This is also something complicated to do. There are MANY versions out there. You can think of steam, but there are others. This is why we have designed this quick first step and will see how to adapt. We are not here to destroy what we took so much time to build, we are here to make it stronger. If there are more revenues from the income of TMNF players, it could even mean more power to the game.

lille79
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by lille79 » 09 Dec 2010 19:03

First norwegian compo in 3 months cancelled just now...
/lille79
Old man of the Norwegian Trackmania team Super Sheep Racing
To visit my homepage/blog, and download the usbTMFserver, this is the place to go.

Frostbeule
happy cruiser
happy cruiser
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMU, TMUF, TMNF

Post by Frostbeule » 09 Dec 2010 19:03

how many people even use the favorite system? i have a feeling many don't.

Korre_elmuro
sunday driver
sunday driver
Owned TM-games: TMN

Post by Korre_elmuro » 09 Dec 2010 19:06

holy cow, this is decision is way too harsh. With STC/NC & EMS ongoing, this will kill those cups and the TMNF esports scene. C'mon Nadeo, if you wanna keep this game alive, you'll need to put some extra effort. A warning before hand could've been a start, but we need to have a solution here!
Don't hate the l33t!
Team YoYoTech

Haxxie
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by Haxxie » 09 Dec 2010 19:06

Bergie got it right. Well, congratulations on the whole dooming-tm-thing you got going on here.

Arni
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMO, TMN, TMNF

Post by Arni » 09 Dec 2010 19:07

Well, I totally understand your point Florent... But with this decision you´re killing one of the most successful online communities. The whole thing - Teams, Cups, Leagues (ESL and so on) are totally powered by people who dont have a payed account. This sucks really, sorry for this "hard" word.

I hope this is not the end. But I think it is.
Bullracing! Arni