FREEZONE

General Discussion about Trackmania Nations ESWC.

Moderator: TM-Patrol

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMNF, TMUF
Manialink(s): zooz

Re: FREEZONE

Post by Zooz » 09 Dec 2010 19:28

Arni wrote:
Zooz wrote:[...] otherwise this is going to kill the competitive aspect of TMN even more.

The competitive aspect is already killed. just look at the problems caused by this to the NC, STC, ESL. And apart from this: Most players buy TMU because they tested the REAL TMNF before. And not this miniversion.
That's why I said "even more".

I can understand if it's necessary to do cost-cutting but it would probably be best to spare the competitions at least... that's a main draw of TMN, and now no one can see it! The same can be said for the active community members that keep the game alive, who might already be turned off the game anyway by less people using the things they host or create.

Either way this will not benefit the game, TMN was already the open free version as opposed to TMU, now what is even the point of it? Online play is everything these days, and people are not going to be interested by a crippled version with only some stock servers available. A main attraction of TM is in the extensive customization.

I hope you can find a solution that will keep the free game accessible enough, including at least some online and customization components, while still not breaking the bank...

Florent
Developer
Developer

Post by Florent » 09 Dec 2010 19:29

on short term, we may create a white list of logins, but the future of esport on tmnf rely much more on this evolution than you can think of.

like I said earlier, maybe that servers will even be able to go back in the free zone in the weeks/months to come, but with some rules.

what could make the difference, is the reaction of the community inside itself.

will players try to be negative of constructive will have a great deal of influence on it.

w1lla
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMN, TMF
Manialink(s): intr

Post by w1lla » 09 Dec 2010 19:31

couple of solutions:

Make ingame advertising by competitions, websites, clans: Revenue goes to Nadeo.
Make coppers a currency for everyone. United players get 100 coppers each day, Nations player 75 coppers per day. With the alleged coppers they can exchange them for money and let them buy united.

p.s. offtopic:
Can't wait to read Gekko's post as he will tell that this was the thing he hoped for.

I agree with Nadeo. They had to do something otherwise the ingame revenue would be gone and no trackmania 2 could been made.

We as a community must stand one and must provide solutions not allegations ;)

Code: Select all

tmnforever is nations and united makes it special. tmnforever has united. I need united!

Arni
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMO, TMN, TMNF

Post by Arni » 09 Dec 2010 19:32

Florent wrote:on short term, we may create a white list of logins, but the future of esport on tmnf rely much more on this evolution than you can think of.

like I said earlier, maybe that servers will even be able to go back in the free zone in the weeks/months to come, but with some rules.

what could make the difference, is the reaction of the community inside itself.

will players try to be negative of constructive will have a great deal of influence on it.
My question is: what should the community (and i mean the real community, which is playing every day, and make tmnf to this success) do, to influence you in your decision?
Bullracing! Arni

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol

Post by Zooz » 09 Dec 2010 19:32

It's difficult for us to be constructive about it, because we don't know anything about the reasons that prompted it. We only know that it was the removal of advertising, not how that affects the Nadeo budget, plans, or any other internal company stuff that led to this decision.

Maybe if some restrictions imposed by this lack of income (like "we need to reduce master server traffic by this much") become known, it would be easier to say something sensible...

edit: Yeah I guess we can suggest microtransactions and premium account features and stuff but I'm sure they have already thought of it.

Hotrod
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator
Owned TM-games: TMU

Post by Hotrod » 09 Dec 2010 19:33

Florent wrote:you can add a favorite with one click

if most people in competition, since they all have a computer that runs 3D game, does not really care about buying a paying account, it is a little sad. Competition means quite an engagement. Some players even travel the world to play ^_^

for your information, 91% of players have a united account at least in the top 1000 of the ladder.
I could argue that these Pro's are an inspiration for alot of players and pull ALOT of attension to TM competition and community, something that we all should thank them for. This should be much more worth for nadeo than $49 :)

Bergie
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by Bergie » 09 Dec 2010 19:33

I dont think anyone can blame the TMNF-players for being irritated right now, as this completely screwed up any tournament running at the moment. If this change is so important for the future of TMNF in eSports, then atleast make a few exceptions when it comes to joining servers. For instance you can only join 5 or 10 different servers each day or something, that would be so much better than the current situation. Im open for discussing what restrictions you could fix, but as the game is right now, its ruined. Even more the community is devastated, now how will TM get the recognition worldwide in the future as it has to upon this day?

JWH
tricycle manager
tricycle manager
Owned TM-games: TMN

Post by JWH » 09 Dec 2010 19:35

I don't think you completely see what this does to the eSports side.

A NON Trackmania player can't even watch a match anymore. A caster or streamer can't even join a server anymore to stream for a large eSports community. This is what could help Trackmania getting it's name out there on like ESL TV, TheBeardTV ( really huge fanbase ) and TMTV.

( oh and atleast add a record system to the Freezone servers, this is too boring for words. )

GBLB
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMN
Manialink(s): shark

Post by GBLB » 09 Dec 2010 19:37

first, sorry for my bad english...

with these type of servers, I think that you loose your initial spirit : you named the game "nation" because you want to make local servers (by country, region, ...) to bring together players from the same region (it's your words)

and if i see correctly, all the freezone servers are in Paris...

for information, i discovered with TM some players of my city, and we became IRL friends since. Tomorow, it will not happen again :(

Florent
Developer
Developer

Post by Florent » 09 Dec 2010 19:38

goenisch wrote:you will destroy the whole Nations Community !!!
like players will not say that we created them, the community, I don't think they can say that we can destroy them

I still believe that more depends on the positiveness of the players than a lot of more things.

even with the previous situation, there were a lot of negative comments.

maybe that the real future of Nations will be decided by this, but it will much more depends on the community reaction, globally than on this feature.

if Nations finds a better system, it may, and only as an example, and not a fact at all!, makes a Nations 2 happen. It may gives more power to maniastudio to support it. etc.

but today, and mainly thanks to the difficult in game advertising industry situation, we are making evolutions while keeping a complete free access to people ready to handle their favorite list.

we will see from there

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol

Post by Zooz » 09 Dec 2010 19:38

Bergie wrote:I dont think anyone can blame the TMNF-players for being irritated right now, as this completely screwed up any tournament running at the moment. If this change is so important for the future of TMNF in eSports, then atleast make a few exceptions when it comes to joining servers. For instance you can only join 5 or 10 different servers each day or something, that would be so much better than the current situation. Im open for discussing what restrictions you could fix, but as the game is right now, its ruined. Even more the community is devastated, now how will TM get the recognition worldwide in the future as it has to upon this day?
We don't know if restricting the number of servers that can be joined would work. Maybe 99% of the players never play on that many different servers anyway? Then it would not help Nadeo. We cannot tell these things :P

jamie_macdonald
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TMNF, TMS
Manialink(s): ET

Post by jamie_macdonald » 09 Dec 2010 19:39

JWH wrote:I don't think you completely see what this does to the eSports side.

A NON Trackmania player can't even watch a match anymore. A caster or streamer can't even join a server anymore to stream for a large eSports community. This is what could help Trackmania getting it's name out there on like ESL TV, TheBeardTV ( really huge fanbase ) and TMTV.

( oh and atleast add a record system to the Freezone servers, this is too boring for words. )
A relay has a login. A server login can be favouited, cmon guys give them a break and think of a workaround for now.

Willa. I love you <3 :mrgreen:

TheM
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: TMU(F), TMN(F), TM2

Post by TheM » 09 Dec 2010 19:40

Continuing this situation will destroy the complete community.
I already have had 10 questions in the last minutes because people can't join our servers.
With this new situation there will die a lot of servers and starting clans.

I don't understand anything about this all, is Microsoft now in charge of Ubisoft/Nadeo, or what?

Stop this idiotic thing . . .

Versnellingspook
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMU

Post by Versnellingspook » 09 Dec 2010 19:42

Seriously, what did you expect would happen?
I've been playing Trackmania since nations for about 5 years, and I really think you guys made the biggest mistake.
You guys are really expecting that everyone 'just' pays the amount of 30 euro's for a game made in 2008 (considered 'old' in games)
Most people playing just play because it's free.

dimCracker
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMU

Post by dimCracker » 09 Dec 2010 19:43

Maybe this change won't have that a big influence on the community, as many players already have united accounts.
But what about players that just want to watch a match on some relayserver? they first have to add it to their favourites, wait 10 mins until the server appears in this list and then connect? Nobody will take such an effort just for watching a match in a game, that he doesn't play regularly.