FREEZONE

General Discussion about Trackmania Nations ESWC.

Moderator: TM-Patrol

lille79
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMNF, TMUF

Re: FREEZONE

Post by lille79 » 09 Dec 2010 19:44

I'm certainly not meaning to be unthankful, but it's an insult to say that 91% of top1000-players is an "excuse".

Nadeo has done so much good, but if perhaps 30-50% of my online-friends suddenly don't get to play on TM-servers I'm certainly not going to invest time or money on servers, donations, web-domains regarding Trackmania. Most of the long-time players have TMUF it seems on my buddy-list, so the majority will probably stay on, but I'm sceptic to how this will be positive in "selling" TM to a wider crowd. The last few months there have been more interest from gamer-sites towards TMNF, but after this day there certainly will be less interest.

I'm not here to offend anyone, so I hope you (Florent and others) won't misunderstand, but doing this "overnight" is the big crisis. This game lives on recruiting people continously, and the recruiting-part just got much harder...
/lille79
Old man of the Norwegian Trackmania team Super Sheep Racing
To visit my homepage/blog, and download the usbTMFserver, this is the place to go.

w1lla
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMN, TMF
Manialink(s): intr

Post by w1lla » 09 Dec 2010 19:45

As a reminder to all that is so called "Community":

Make or provide solutions so nations players can still play for free.

That will help us and Nadeo and all will be happy.

Code: Select all

tmnforever is nations and united makes it special. tmnforever has united. I need united!

JWH
tricycle manager
tricycle manager
Owned TM-games: TMN

Post by JWH » 09 Dec 2010 19:45

jamie_macdonald wrote:
( oh and atleast add a record system to the Freezone servers, this is too boring for words. )

A relay has a login. A server login can be favouited, cmon guys give them a break and think of a workaround for now.

Willa. I love you <3 :mrgreen:
It's a known bug that the favourites list won't work, nor the list is limited. This work around can't be favoured and we got a huge cast planned for this weekend already.

Seriously if we knew about this 1 month ago, we could look for solutions or people had time to buy keys to keep on playing. Now we got to sacrifice alot of great tournaments or casts.
Last edited by JWH on 09 Dec 2010 19:47, edited 1 time in total.

Camion
sunday driver
sunday driver
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TMNF

Post by Camion » 09 Dec 2010 19:46

i dont know if this is the right decision, but i hope there will be something like aseco, live or fast on this servers. Now the server are a little bit naked without this software and there are no ladderservers, no rounds server, no stunt server etc.

Florent
Developer
Developer

Post by Florent » 09 Dec 2010 19:46

Arni wrote:My question is: what should the community (and i mean the real community, which is playing every day, and make tmnf to this success) do, to influence you in your decision?
I often look at what positive and constructive players do, and try to help them in that.

if, for example,

on short term: if a player suggests to set up a list of players login that needs to connect easily in the week to come, because of competitions, then I would surely be more open to discussion than if he his negative

on mid term: if the profile of the players that can't buy the game are identified, maybe we can make the come back of licensed acquired by coppers, even at lower price for team or organization, in order to handle this more easily.

on long term: work on a competition server list and relays where you can join but with a specially activated account, under some circumstances.

solution are to be built. And even if it if a short term bad event, we need to start one day and unfortunately don't have time to make all this in a perfect way. Time is a constraint.

svens
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TMS, TMO

Post by svens » 09 Dec 2010 19:47

Florent wrote:will players try to be negative of constructive will have a great deal of influence on it.
sure it's our fault.
Florent wrote:I don't think they can say that we can destroy them
you've just proven that you can

Sorry for this trolling, but I really have to ask; what kind of drugs did you guys take? These are so drastic changes, you really shouldn't apply them without a prior announce.

I fully agree with everything Zooz said. What you're doing is probably not helping, you just destroyed an important part of TMNF.

I guess you could start with relay servers.. There's probably no reason for those to be restricted to TMUF. Also be sure to think of a very good system to get servers in the Freezone, we really want this to be fair (not like maniapub or so).

Edit: Also those short-/mid-/long-term "solutions" should be very well thought, this doesn't really sound fair to me.
Last edited by svens on 09 Dec 2010 19:48, edited 1 time in total.

w1lla
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMN, TMF
Manialink(s): intr

Post by w1lla » 09 Dec 2010 19:48

Go to your playerpage and make a website will all links to all servers for nations players that haven't add favourite servers.

It's just a tip be outgoing with your mind, don't think like a sheepsherder.

Code: Select all

tmnforever is nations and united makes it special. tmnforever has united. I need united!

Versnellingspook
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMU

Post by Versnellingspook » 09 Dec 2010 19:48

Oh and this is costing other people also a lot of money because their servers are no longer visited by anyone.
There are people who dedicated a whole lot of their time to make a perfect TM server and now the majority of the visitors is just removed from the visiting audience.

Way to go

goenisch
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator
Owned TM-games: TMUF,TMN

Post by goenisch » 09 Dec 2010 19:51

Camion wrote:i dont know if this is the right decision, but i hope there will be something like aseco, live or fast on this servers. Now the server are a little bit naked without this software and there are no ladderservers, no rounds server, no stunt server etc.
agree !

Zp1
highway camper
highway camper
Owned TM-games: TMU

Post by Zp1 » 09 Dec 2010 19:52

Regarding all the ongoing tournaments, this is a major setback.
Dont understand why this change had to come so soon?

What is there to lose by waiting with this for some weeks?

lille79
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMNF, TMUF

Post by lille79 » 09 Dec 2010 19:52

w1lla wrote:As a reminder to all that is so called "Community":

How can we help if we don't know where the "shoe doesn't fit"?
Is it server-capacity?
Is it internet-connection-capacity?
Is it to many people connected?
Can we donate money somewhere?
Should we stop connecting to the game so that the "master-server" doesn't get overloaded?

If we don't know the real problem, it's hard to know a good solution.

And where is Ubisoft in all this?
/lille79
Old man of the Norwegian Trackmania team Super Sheep Racing
To visit my homepage/blog, and download the usbTMFserver, this is the place to go.

Florent
Developer
Developer

Post by Florent » 09 Dec 2010 19:53

svens, we did not had time to prior announce it like it looks like you may not had time to read my previous posts

we were not sure of the date, we were not sure of the result and did not had time to communicate a lot earlier.

so, we decided to do it and today I triggered the button with the idea to adapt quickly. If we waited next week, more chances would have be that our holiday would have been in difficulties.

So, if players can bring the real troubles, we can see after it. At the moment, it is more primary answers. I prefer to see the real cases.

I will open a topic to only discuss these short term issues.

dimCracker
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMU

Post by dimCracker » 09 Dec 2010 19:55

Florent wrote:on short term: if a player suggests to set up a list of players login that needs to connect easily in the week to come, because of competitions, then I would surely be more open to discussion than if he his negative

on mid term: if the profile of the players that can't buy the game are identified, maybe we can make the come back of licensed acquired by coppers, even at lower price for team or organization, in order to handle this more easily.

on long term: work on a competition server list and relays where you can join but with a specially activated account, under some circumstances.
Those possible solutions all sound like short-term solutions. They just cause a lot of work for the administrators of every tournament and for you creating this list (everyone wants to be on such a list).

Versnellingspook
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMU

Post by Versnellingspook » 09 Dec 2010 19:56

lille79 wrote:

Is it server-capacity?
Should we stop connecting to the game so that the "master-server" doesn't get overloaded?

Wasn't money the problem, like it always is.
Something about not enough sponsors

Florent
Developer
Developer

Post by Florent » 09 Dec 2010 19:58

lille79 wrote:

Is it server-capacity?

the question is globally of the free/paying account model that has to be addressed here. Forever was named after the idea that advertising can support it forever. Not because of server cost, but because of human cost. What support the development of the next game is often the previous game. Sure, our publisher could dig in his pocket to do this, but I consider that my responsibility is to make our team sustainable, like I always did since years.

Is Nations a good model? I think that yes. Is advertising a failure this year, sure! I have seen the audience of quake live announced one day, and we had something like 10 times more. But even with this, it is complicated, and Microsoft closing it's services is a good witness of this.

The free zone is our solution, like it was already (only united servers were restricted)

now, the free zone should be more dynamic: will we let some players go on the other side (based on some criteria) or let some players servers go on the other side (based on some rules) I believe it is a good future. We are starting this quite "live" but our history is a start and an evolution. The day we launched Nations ESWC, our server broke down!