FREEZONE

General Discussion about Trackmania Nations ESWC.

Moderator: TM-Patrol

taklabas
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMU

Re: FREEZONE

Post by taklabas » 09 Dec 2010 19:59

Why don't just kill the TMNF project altogether?
TMNF was a free-to-play game, now it's a limited try before you buy trial program.
You killed the whole TMNF community, you killed all of the servers who tried hard to get where they were until this change, you killed the ladder, you killed the competitivness, you killed the fun, what's left from this game!? NOTHING!
Just kill it.
Last edited by taklabas on 09 Dec 2010 20:01, edited 1 time in total.

w1lla
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMN, TMF
Manialink(s): intr

Post by w1lla » 09 Dec 2010 19:59

Looks like Microsoft failed on Massive inc.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010 ... assive.ars

That is what leads us to this problem.

However: Reports are made in October not in December?!

And ubisoft nor nadeo are connected to this company after research.

Code: Select all

tmnforever is nations and united makes it special. tmnforever has united. I need united!

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMNF, TMUF
Manialink(s): zooz

Post by Zooz » 09 Dec 2010 20:00

Ubisoft isn't the publisher of Trackmania Nations Forever. They would just want to minimize cost on that, unless they see it as a way to attract players to TM2.

Nadeo is connected to Massive because they got a massive part of their income from it, apparently!

svens
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TMS, TMO

Post by svens » 09 Dec 2010 20:01

Florent wrote:svens, we did not had time to prior announce it like it looks like you may not had time to read my previous posts

we were not sure of the date, we were not sure of the result and did not had time to communicate a lot earlier.

so, we decided to do it and today I triggered the button with the idea to adapt quickly. If we waited next week, more chances would have be that our holiday would have been in difficulties.

So, if players can bring the real troubles, we can see after it. At the moment, it is more primary answers. I prefer to see the real cases.
Well I actually did read the whole thread. Trust me that wasn't easy.

Also good solutions need time to grow. My point is that you should've taken some time (be it even 7days) before you press the button and hear the community before it (elswhere you can't really expect them to provide mature solutions in a few hours), it looks like you were in compulsion to move and that, what you did wasn't thought through completely.

Florent
Developer
Developer

Post by Florent » 09 Dec 2010 20:02

Florent wrote:svens, (...) I will open a topic to only discuss these short term issues.
here it is
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=27232

TheM
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: TMU(F), TMN(F), TM2

Post by TheM » 09 Dec 2010 20:02

Zooz wrote:Ubisoft isn't the publisher of Trackmania Nations Forever. They would just want to minimize cost on that, unless they see it as a way to attract players to TM2.

Nadeo is connected to Massive because they got a massive part of their income from it, apparently!
Never seen any advertisement inside TrackMania, only those things in the servers with the big TrackMania United Forever etc.

giu
sunday driver
sunday driver
Owned TM-games: tm?

Post by giu » 09 Dec 2010 20:02

1) I had an official PAID account in TMN ESWC ... nice thing to have
2) I do not have a paid account in TMNF, i never saw a reason to buy one, since the game was not much of an improvement from my point of few... New track building items, yes. Nice but boring... everybody else might decide this for his own.
3) I did run a server (sometimes more than one server) for years in ESWC and TMNF (until i decided to quit doing so for time reasons)
4) I paid money to run a server, that was always free to everybody, i invested a lot of time in my servers and i got nothing back from Nadeo. Hacked accounts? Cheating? Servertrouble-support-requests? All i got, was being kicked in the ass by Nadeo. OK, i never asked for much. Never. But the community made this game what it is, and the community provides FREE SERVERS to all players and Nadeo now wants to charge peole money for playing on FREE SERVERS! Now what if all administrators would decide to take all their FREE SERVERS offline? Will Nadeo provide servers to all players that fullfill their needs? I guess not...
5) How do i put servers on my favorite list, if i cannot join them in the first place?
6) What if my current 3 favorite servers go offline? All i can play on than is them crappy freezone servers?
7) OK Nadeo says: Buy the **** game! And i say: **** the game! It was given to us for free and if it's not i play something better!

Honestly, i won't buy it! Neither the game, nor Nadeo explanations, nothing!

w1lla
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMN, TMF
Manialink(s): intr

Post by w1lla » 09 Dec 2010 20:03

Focus Home interactive is and there sales have decreased in the past Year.

However when i drive i can't see ingame ads only ads provided by players in maniapub or in tracks made by players as a mod.

So could anyone tell me where those supposedly ads are?

Code: Select all

tmnforever is nations and united makes it special. tmnforever has united. I need united!

MuNkEhOlM
pedestrian
pedestrian

Post by MuNkEhOlM » 09 Dec 2010 20:04

sad.. Trackmania was starting to get bigger in Denmark actually, quite a big amounts of LANs used it in 2010 as 'open' tournaments where you can be in other tournaments because so many have tried the game or it is so easy to install to be a part of a fun tournament..

probally wount get picked for open / fun tournament anymore or maybe im just in a negative mood :(

what i was trying to say is quite the same as someone before me said, that this AWESOME game is known as THE BEST "FREE" racing game. and if you ask me i fear the worst.. That this will actually kill the game. Because it will after all be harder for new people to get into this game, fiding friends/teams/clans what so ever to have fun with and enjoy this game, and then feel the need to get a tmu account ..

kind regards Munkeholm
a paying customer

Florent
Developer
Developer

Post by Florent » 09 Dec 2010 20:06

svens wrote:
Florent wrote:Also good solutions need time to grow. My point is that you should've taken some time (be it even 7days) before you press the button and hear the community before it (elswhere you can't really expect them to provide mature solutions in a few hours), it looks like you were in compulsion to move and that, what you did wasn't thought through completely.
I did not had that time or it would have postponed the operation to next year, with some negative effects arriving with it.

If I had time, I would have done it, yes, but maybe I saved a little time of discussion with people refusing to look for solutions and wanting more to debate.

we will try to adapt quickly

Haxxie
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMNF, TMUF

Post by Haxxie » 09 Dec 2010 20:08

Look. Cash is the problem here, right? Well, this won't get you any more cash in the long run. Actually it will be the other way around, this is going to lose you money.

What makes people buy TM? Well, usually it's because they have been enjoying trackmania for a while, and feel they want to explore the different environments, or just give something back to you guys over at Nadeo.

So what makes people stay long enough to make this decision? It used to be like this; When a player was new he could go to his country, find a nice server with some nice people, talk to them, make some new friends and go hunt records with people he enjoys playing with. He would sort of build his own community.

However with these changes, a player would join the game and find some overcrowded servers with generic names and different players every time. He wouldn't have any friends who would get him in on a nice server through a tmtp link because the servers are all alike and people are just going to join a random server each time they login. He wouldn't get to see any good players drive or recieve any useful tips from these players because they either bought trackmania, got some favorite links from their friends, or just quit playing already. Think he's going to spend money on this game?

TM alone is fun and all, but what really makes you want to stay (and eventually get united) is the community, and hunting records with people you enjoy playing with. None of this exists in the "new" TMNF.

Basically you made it impossible to get into trackmania without already knowing someone "on the inside" by taking away everything that kept players playing. Do you think teams are going to form on these freezone-servers? No, they won't. Also, as already mentioned, you just made it impossible to host major cups.

All in all, this is an extremely short-term solution and in the end it won't mean anything other than the death of trackmania.

There, constructive enough?

EDIT; Put some more emphasis on the important parts.
Last edited by Haxxie on 09 Dec 2010 20:10, edited 2 times in total.

Lolo
highway camper
highway camper

Post by Lolo » 09 Dec 2010 20:08

Honestly I think that it's hardly constructive to write one post after another complaining about the destruction of the competitions.

I personally have another view on that. I really regret that you have to take money from all your loyal players now. But I think that the competitional community will suffer the least from this change. As can already be observed in TMUF is that there is hardly anybody playing than the active players who play in their teams, in leagues and on the few famous servers.
TMNF was always more like a village square. Everybody could play it without putting financial effort in the game. The infinite fun on various servers, modes and tracks was terrifically exciting for all fun players. And imho those are the people which will now never play this game anymore. As has already been stated: You don't pay 30 Euros for a years old "fun-game".

Some people do though. Those who are deeply integrated in the inner circle of the community. Those participating in competitions and leagues; with responsabilites in their teams, with their friends. And I am quite sure, that the wide majority of those players will pay. Congrats Nadeo, have fun with your money. Sorry for the sarcasm.
So basically what you're doing is making your loyal playerbase pay. Those who were promoting your game for years now. Sorry but I think you should at least offer them a really cheap price for "upgrading" their accounts now. You owe them.

As for the short term solutions: I'm sure you can figure out some plans to have everybody in this game safely until they had the possibility to aquire the game.

Finally, I am a bit disappointed. Trackmania (Nations) was always famous for it's loose character of fun racing and pluralism. Now you're going towards a state of commerce of today's gaming industry.

Seismic
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMUF

Post by Seismic » 09 Dec 2010 20:09

@Florent please make atleast a handfull of RPG servers too

Versnellingspook
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMU

Post by Versnellingspook » 09 Dec 2010 20:09

giu wrote:But the community made this game what it is, and the community provides FREE SERVERS to all players and Nadeo now wants to charge people money for playing on FREE SERVERS! Now what if all administrators would decide to take all their FREE SERVERS offline? Will Nadeo provide servers to all players that fullfill their needs? I guess not...
That's a very good point, maybe even a solution!

Florent
Developer
Developer

Post by Florent » 09 Dec 2010 20:10

MuNkEhOlM wrote:sad.. Trackmania was starting to get bigger in Denmark actually, quite a big amounts of LANs used it in 2010 as 'open' tournaments where you can be in other tournaments because so many have tried the game or it is so easy to install to be a part of a fun tournament..

probally wount get picked for open / fun tournament anymore or maybe im just in a negative mood :(

what i was trying to say is quite the same as someone before me said, that this AWESOME game is known as THE BEST "FREE" racing game. and if you ask me i fear the worst.. That this will actually kill the game. Because it will after all be harder for new people to get into this game, fiding friends/teams/clans what so ever to have fun with and enjoy this game, and then feel the need to get a tmu account ..

kind regards Munkeholm
a paying customer
The game is still free.

We need to adapt the freezone. Before it was between United and Nations servers. Now it will be between free servers and and paying servers. But these servers will evolve and may become handled by players.

in fact, ManiaLive is running on the servers ;)