Direct Host

General Discussion about Trackmania Nations ESWC.

Moderator: TM-Patrol

Florent
Developer
Developer

Direct Host

Post by Florent » 10 Dec 2010 08:55

In order to enable host to open their server to all nations players, host will need to launch their server in the invisible more from the server list but will be able to provide the direct tmtp link access to the players (it could be a manialink link or button as well)

It should enable competition to handle all their servers easily.

To have a popular server for fun with Nations players, host will have to communicate directly to their existing community or find regular ways to advertise their server. I had to deal with complaints of host seeing other hosts using fake accounts to advertise their server. This is the spirit you should avoid if you want us to keep this solution up and running.

Give us the day to set up the solution, and I will come back to post when it is ready.

Meanwhile, I really look forward the feedback of competition organizers,
Florent

Update
This is now possible for Nations players to join invisible servers with a tmtp link.
For servers managers, you have just to write 1 into the command line below to configure your server as invisible :
<hide_server>1</hide_server>

to join it, simply make this link
tmtp://#join="serverlogin"

dimCracker
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMU

Re: Direct Host

Post by dimCracker » 10 Dec 2010 09:27

Sounds ok. This should make it also possible to provide relays without any problems. Thx florent :)

w1lla
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMN, TMF
Manialink(s): intr

Post by w1lla » 10 Dec 2010 09:35

a nice temporarily solution. Only problem might be the manialink link or button. Can't it be tmtp://#join=serverlogin,1 with 1 being for nations and 0 for united players.

Code: Select all

tmnforever is nations and united makes it special. tmnforever has united. I need united!

TheM
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: TMU(F), TMN(F), TM2

Post by TheM » 11 Dec 2010 08:47

w1lla wrote:a nice temporarily solution.
Best solution is of course going back to the old situation...
Why don't showing advertisement - like you do in all FreeZone servers - in other servers (I think you'll be able to do that...).
Only thing you do now is destroying the TrackMania community.
That little bit extra advertisement might give you more United-players.

And why not call some big brands and ask for advertisement in the game, you could do that yourself, can't you?

Florent
Developer
Developer

Post by Florent » 11 Dec 2010 09:40

brands have national budgets and are not agile enough to go through innovative advertising with specific metrics quite easily. It then requires quite a team to seek this type of revenues and is hardly enough and really more difficult since the crisis.

ask you can see here, a competition only have to make it's own list of server in order to handle any connections from free or paying account
http://www.tm-actu.com/news-721-mlc03-s4-begins-tonight

if there is a problem with this solution, I am really eager to look after it. As for it being temporary, or not, it will depend on various parameters. But our goal is surely not to create trouble to competitions and we will look after a similar efficient solution if we change it.

budd
happy cruiser
happy cruiser
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMNF, TMUF

Post by budd » 11 Dec 2010 10:05

coppers could be used as a payment method to run/publish new freezone servers, up till now i still think that coppers aren't used enough ingame and in other tm-based websites

all the past updates were based (not completely) on coppers, which was a smart decision; either use the cc's or give them away, cause most of us had a big pile of them and couldn't find a single decent way to use them :/

im curious how the freezone servers differ from the regular ones, if you decide to give (for a specified ammount of cc's) players the chance to open up their servers for all TMN:F players w/o limitations you better find a quick solution.
chaos could happen if the freezone server code leaks out

Florent
Developer
Developer

Post by Florent » 11 Dec 2010 11:35

the idea to use coppers is on the table and I already said it in a previous post, but the need to make this evolution quickly and simply was a priority over making this scheme. In order to introduce player servers into the freezone, it could be a tool of target: you pay coppers to be in, and if you convert players to the paying account, you get coppers rewards enabling you to stay in the freezone. I also like this dynamical and open solutions. But I prefer to look how things are from now and will make necessary evolution in the weeks/months to come about this. We are obviously in a transition for the model of Forever, and we already adapt (5 favorite servers instead of 3 and the direct access system) But a little patience will be required from the most enthoutisatic players. We have many things to handle at the same time at Nadeo.

Florent
Developer
Developer

Post by Florent » 11 Dec 2010 12:32

first post updated

svens
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TMS, TMO

Post by svens » 11 Dec 2010 12:43

Again, can we get a guarantee or at least a statement on how long this is going to work?

Florent
Developer
Developer

Post by Florent » 11 Dec 2010 12:47

as long as it works. I mean if it enables the competition to organize their tournaments and don't avoid the new solution to exist correctly, I believe that, unless we find something better, there is no reason to remove it. Only time will tell how it is best used and if there is no trouble coming out of it.

budd
happy cruiser
happy cruiser
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMNF, TMUF

Post by budd » 11 Dec 2010 14:16

ok florent work on that

i found it confusing when you mentioned something about players having to pay coppers to stay in the freezone, first of all where would tmn:f players get coppers and second, why would they pay to stay in free servers? ^^

Florent
Developer
Developer

Post by Florent » 11 Dec 2010 14:19

it is something that is quite requested since two days: some sort of a license that you can acquire with coppers for a >server< to be visible in the freezone. I add to this that we can give coppers to players who convert nations player to united, and we may have a solution to make player's servers into the freezone, but with the purpose of sustaining a little more the system on which they are running.

JWH
tricycle manager
tricycle manager
Owned TM-games: TMN

Post by JWH » 11 Dec 2010 15:23

Great idea and nice to see you thinking with us.

However this isn't working :(.

We have the Infused HIS Cup and EMS Playoffs today and both have added the hide parameter to the relay, but now the relays crash constantly. So it seems that it doesn't function the way it should.

Florent
Developer
Developer

Post by Florent » 11 Dec 2010 15:38

there is no reason to make it crash :/
the hide server exists since a very long time and we have changed nothing in it!

we can dig this next week, but double check on your side

JWH
tricycle manager
tricycle manager
Owned TM-games: TMN

Post by JWH » 11 Dec 2010 15:57

If one wants to add this command to the dedicated_cfg.txt, should it be added in the same way? Or at a specific location?