Direct Host

General Discussion about Trackmania Nations ESWC.

Moderator: TM-Patrol

blue
wheelbarrow operator
wheelbarrow operator
Owned TM-games: tmuf

Re: Direct Host

Post by blue » 11 Dec 2010 16:00

An solution could be to ask server owners for like 100.000 copper to have their servers public accessible....
Becuz that means that an community already has many "PAYING" users...
That will garantue for nadeo only servers who are supported by payed accounts.
In my eyes this must be made possible, becuz such a community payed enough to be public accessible

Cheers.

tcq
speedy pilot
speedy pilot

Post by tcq » 11 Dec 2010 17:36

Florent wrote:it is something that is quite requested since two days: some sort of a license that you can acquire with coppers for a >server< to be visible in the freezone. I add to this that we can give coppers to players who convert nations player to united, and we may have a solution to make player's servers into the freezone, but with the purpose of sustaining a little more the system on which they are running.
I think this sounds like a very nice proposal.
What about allowing a limited number of servers of a higher rank limit (additional to the fee, that should be paidto get into the zone the normal fee to get a ranked server 60-90 and stadium only RoCs) get into the freezone, so that free players can see that there is a ladder competition outside the normal TMNF? If this players get their points and join such a server, they can get a message like
" if you buy united, you get a high variety of high ranked ladder servers and the possibility to play against the best players AND gain more points in new environments".
Just my two cents. This could maybe work, but then the numbers of higher ranked servers should be strictly limited (to get a reason to buy the full game).

Katagrama
road tourist
road tourist
Owned TM-games: TMNF

Post by Katagrama » 11 Dec 2010 17:42

stop giving ideas.
They dont want to sell more TMUF.
Who would like to pay $39,00 for a game that has an uncertain future and is becoming boring and empty?
That is what TMNF players are saying on the forum.
Who would like to pay $39,00 for TMUF on an imminent release of TM2?
Who would like to pay $39,00 only to avoid the small work of adding servers to favorites?
They dont want to sell more TMUF.
They need to kill TMF in order to launch TM2.
Thats why these things are happening.
TMF was fun because TMUF players could play together with their TMNF friends who don't like to pay for games.
TM2 will be a pay to play game.
Most TMUF players would prefer to continue playing with their TMNF friends than buying TM2 to play alone.
But now, with freezone, TMF is becoming sooooo boring, the good servers are soooo empty... that TMUF players finally found a reason to buy TM2.
And I never saw Microsoft advertising in the game...

Mort
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TMNF

Post by Mort » 12 Dec 2010 06:21

So the servers that we the community has been running at our own costs need to be set to invisible to make it slightly easier for Nations players to connect to.
This would then also hide the servers from the paying United players who could no longer browse for those servers.

I get a large number of people connecting to our server because they see it is busy already, or have followed a buddy already on the server. How do you "advertise" the server login for people that way. If the server is hidden then the Nations players would need to conenct to a bunch of servers just to see if there is even anyone else on them.

Since this change we have had NO connections to our servers at all. With only a small number of favourites available, even our own clan members using Nations can't see the status of all our servers.The noslide tool is a good workaround, but now that there is effectively no central listing of servers I don't see how new players can even be made aware of non-Freezone clan servers anymore.

I can understand that you needed to do something, but this approach just doesn't make any sense on so many levels. Add to that the fact there aren't even Freezone servers in Australia that I can find means Australian players are stuck playing overseas servers on high pings.

If this is an attempt to boost sales by "encouraging" people to buy United, then why is United still US$40 on STEAM? If you do a "one week special" then I'm sure there's a bunch of buyers right there. Add to that the fact that Nadeo must now be paying to host all the Freezone servers themselves, how is that cheaper then letting other people do it at no additional cost to Nadeo?

And who picks the tracks that go on Freezone servers anyway? We host clan-made tracks that people come to play because like enjoy the odd style we offer, so how does freezone help us?

I think the idea of using coppers to allow a server in freezone is good, but we've already paid 10k-80k in coppers to make our servers ladder servers, and then we would pay more coppers again so people can join them? Maybe allow any of the 60K+ servers to appear, and all the 50K servers are the ones that get blocked out of freezone.

Mort
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Post by Mort » 14 Dec 2010 00:00

Question: I just tried setting hide server = 2 instead as that should still allow it to be visible to United players shouldn't it? When I do this though the Nations players still get prompted for a password when using tmtp join links. Setting it back to 1 allows the nations players to "Join".

Code: Select all

<hide_server>0</hide_server>
<!-- value is 0 (always shown), 1 (always hidden), 2 (hidden from nations) -->
Can you please allow the servers to be visible to the United players using the hide=2 value so at least the PAYING players can access the servers more easily?

El Fuego
solid chaser
solid chaser
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TM2 C/S

Post by El Fuego » 15 Dec 2010 10:57

Yes. Please make it work as advertised. :)
Cheers!
.FUEY.
Diary Of A Mad Man

PoDz
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: ALL

Post by PoDz » 18 Dec 2010 06:04

This was unexpected... If they could give us a delay story to organise ourselves to keep players, it seems that Nadeo don't care about people who are paying for servers ffs, people who contributed to their success, it's really a huge suckage...

Florent
Developer
Developer

Post by Florent » 20 Dec 2010 09:21

"our success" like you name it depends on advertising revenues as well. As you probably read, we have been warned very lately that it will decrease a lot. so, we are making efforts to make the free edition continue for players like you to continue to welcome free players in the future.. but it has to go through this step because of the time we have and the upcoming work to be done (finding rules and providing tools)

and please use a better language

Mort
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator

Post by Mort » 20 Dec 2010 10:33

Florent, can we have the hide=2 option enabled please?

nocturne
solid chaser
solid chaser
Owned TM-games: all

Post by nocturne » 30 Jan 2011 01:03

Is there any rational behind the thought to restrict free joining to only those using hide=1 instead of hide=2?

The idea is to punish freezone users, right? So why can't we set our servers to still show freely in TMUF, for us that bought the game?
Chief Janitorial Supervisor of the Let'sRock! TM community : www.LetsRock-TM.com