Freezone Servers

General Discussion about Trackmania Nations ESWC.

Moderator: TM-Patrol

Florent
Developer
Developer

Freezone Servers

Post by Florent » 26 Jan 2011 17:21

We are starting to open the host of Freezone servers by players

First, host must register their server on the manialink freezone:servers
Next, the server must be restarted with the right configuration

Here are the rules on test (evolution in the days/weeks to come):
-The name of the server must be "FreeZone " + your choice
-The server must be public
-Player limit to 40
-Use the ManiaLive system, with the latest FreeZone plugin available from the ManiaLive plugins forum section http://forum.maniaplanet.com/viewforum.php?f=47
By making the use of the plugin, it will be more easy to handle the rules. At the moment, for example, the free account players are forced to spectator one every five runs.

For moderation needs, there is, like ladder server official server, a depot to be made in coppers. In addition, there is also a regular moderation weekly cost, and an option to use more coppers in order to better rank your server in the server list. This is not the popularity that will decide the place in the list, but keep in mind that the level of the players on the servers will still determine the difficulty of it and could be showed in the Yellow or Red sections to some players, after the Green.

All of this is under testing, we will see how it goes from there.

SatanasDiabolo (farfa on maniaplanet) can answer technical question here if you need!

The ManiaStudio team has worked quickly to bring this update, enabling host to be in FreeZone. We are aware that Manialive is a young tool, but it is more simple and more logical for us to use this instead user made one.

We will probably update some things on this in the future.

Thank you for your patience,
Florent

SaTaNaSDiaBoLo
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: TMO TMS TMN TMU TMUF
Manialink(s): maniahome

Re: Freezone Servers

Post by SaTaNaSDiaBoLo » 26 Jan 2011 17:24

Here is the first technical information about the plugin you have to use to be in the FreeZone

It requires several things
  • Your server must be registered on the manialink "freezone:servers"
  • php should be setup with curl and json extensions
  • You need MySQL
You can download the plugin here: http://files.manialive.com/plugins/Freezone_Plugin.zip
For more information about manialive and plugins : http://forum.maniaplanet.com/viewforum.php?f=46
Imagecolor>

Bueddl
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMU/N(F)

Post by Bueddl » 26 Jan 2011 18:10

I already expected this step to be realized.

First of all, you did something, so in anyway, it is a move forward.

But, what do you think about the fairness of this step?
Players hosting a server for your capitalism game change have to pay for:
-pushing your game and your profite
-reducing your traffic amount
-hosting a server with all its needs (care of mappack etc.)

Don't you think it would be fair at least to give more freedom to those players?
E.g. full dynamic players max (according to the ladder rules)
and using a server plugin of their choice, e.g. like (X)Aseco or Fast?

I think if you want players to push your system, you should give them more freedom.

But, at least, you did a step forward, so, good move, but has to improove als always :lovetm

Cheers :1
Bueddl

Florent
Developer
Developer

Post by Florent » 26 Jan 2011 18:53

The goal is to keep Nations live. Players are doing the same in United, for other players.

There is less freedom because there are more constraints on our side. It is difficult to see that the rules are fairly kept between all hosts. If we want to make evolution on FreeZones and provide technical solution for it, we can not say later to hosts that it should be the same on other server manager. In addition, the rules can be embeded in a plug in and more easily shared.

The limit of players can be discussed later. I think it is a better start to put a limit here at the moment. It can also encourage servers to distinguish themselves more about the content than the number of people in it, even if I find it cool to have so many players on a time attack session :mrgreen:

I suppose it will be easier to see how it goes in some time.

And thanks for your others comments :1

Bueddl
speedy pilot
speedy pilot
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMU/N(F)

Post by Bueddl » 26 Jan 2011 19:01

Well okay,
keep it on a later discussion about the player limit, but how about using xaseco or live etc?

It won't be complicted to write a plugin for those server controllers as well...

Where is the point, why you don't wanna to see a FreeZone xaseco server?

Florent
Developer
Developer

Post by Florent » 26 Jan 2011 19:13

Our goal, at the moment, is to concentrate on a way of opening to Freezone and making it evolve simply. We have already a lot of work and maintaining compatibilities would add to the current difficulty. We are trying to enable host to make freezone servers, and we know that a next step would be to enable main other dedicated server manager to be in the freezone. It is a step that we can not commit now, it is already complicated to keep it as it is and make it evolve simply enough. This whole Freezone story was brought by the end of advertising from Microsoft, but we also have other topics to work on.

We will see how things evolve in the times to come, but this is a little too much to go for a next step while we just made this one.

oliverde8
solid chaser
solid chaser
Owned TM-games: TMU
Manialink(s): oliverde8

Post by oliverde8 » 26 Jan 2011 19:16

I spent the last 2 hours trying to install PHP5.3 on my server without removing PHP5.2

I don't have only TMNF servers I also have some TMUF on which I want to see Aseco turning, but as a metter of fact Aseco hates PHP5.3 :mrgreen:

Hopefully there will be another plugin for (X)Aseco :thumbsup: , or somemone will explain me how to install 2 PHP on my Linux server :)
ImageImage
Manialink : oliverde8color>
Servers : STATS <> United | VeryShort | Made In Turkey

MINICIBER
cyclist
cyclist
Owned TM-games: TMU

Post by MINICIBER » 27 Jan 2011 03:40

what then, i can not usa xaseco or other script of control?

starfinder
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMUF

Post by starfinder » 27 Jan 2011 07:05

Hello. Is trying to run another server control simultaneously with manialive+freezone plug legal?

TheM
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: TMU(F), TMN(F), TM2

Post by TheM » 27 Jan 2011 07:18

So, this plugin is f*cking up your servers...
People can chat for limited time and can only race for 5 races before being forced in spec.

Just the worst thing ever...
Just standard display such window as in the FreeZones servers ("Buy TrackMania United Forever now!", etc).

Florent
Developer
Developer

Post by Florent » 27 Jan 2011 08:49

people can chat when they can race and if they have a paying account,they don't have to wait for one race.

If your solution of displaying "Buy TrackMania United Forever now!" was enough, it is SURE that we would prefer this. Why would not we?
FYI, this is under testing since two weeks I think and had not caused big variation in audience in the hundreads of thousands weekly players.

I would like to see in the future how it is going. We have kept the game playable for any player, free or paying, thanks to favorite servers and direct link. Now, we are re-opening the host on the freezone, with the use of one plugin, enabling us to tweak the rules that are designed to enable free players with patience to enjoy the game and free players with money to support it.

I am happy to see that you have run United for 1300 hours, I have also seen your contribution to ManiaLive. Please keep in mind that there is a lot of people at Nadeo, including ManiaStudio, offering online services. Advertising was an average way to answer this need, and now it is worse than before. Players are using United since four years and first Nations was released five years ago today! I know that it is annoying that Nadeo has to run the company, but everybody here needs to pay some stuff when they go back home, after long day of work. And I don't think they are making the worst work ever.

TheM
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: TMU(F), TMN(F), TM2

Post by TheM » 27 Jan 2011 09:54

Florent wrote:people can chat when they can race and if they have a paying account,they don't have to wait for one race.

If your solution of displaying "Buy TrackMania United Forever now!" was enough, it is SURE that we would prefer this. Why would not we?
FYI, this is under testing since two weeks I think and had not caused big variation in audience in the hundreads of thousands weekly players.

I would like to see in the future how it is going. We have kept the game playable for any player, free or paying, thanks to favorite servers and direct link. Now, we are re-opening the host on the freezone, with the use of one plugin, enabling us to tweak the rules that are designed to enable free players with patience to enjoy the game and free players with money to support it.

I am happy to see that you have run United for 1300 hours, I have also seen your contribution to ManiaLive. Please keep in mind that there is a lot of people at Nadeo, including ManiaStudio, offering online services. Advertising was an average way to answer this need, and now it is worse than before. Players are using United since four years and first Nations was released five years ago today! I know that it is annoying that Nadeo has to run the company, but everybody here needs to pay some stuff when they go back home, after long day of work. And I don't think they are making the worst work ever.
Thanks for pointing that out ;)
I was a bit overreacting while posting my message, sorry for that.

It's just that the game was brilliant, then Microsoft stopped the advertising-thingie and TrackMania is now half-ruined.
I've played this game since 2006 and it is just sad to see these things happen, but I understand you need money to keep running the company.
No money = no company = no TrackMania, sadly it is just as simple as that.

w1lla
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMN, TMF
Manialink(s): intr

Post by w1lla » 27 Jan 2011 10:09

Why not make a so called bank;

in this bank:

TMUF players can buy coppers for like say 500 coppers for 15 euro's(it's just imaginary.)
That way nadeo gets there income everyday if players pay 15 euros.

For nations players: There is a way to buy coins, with these coins they get acces to all normal servers for like 5 euros...

That way there is a nice and easy way of getting revenue even though there are no adds.

Code: Select all

tmnforever is nations and united makes it special. tmnforever has united. I need united!

Flo
Pit Crew
Pit Crew
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMU

Post by Flo » 27 Jan 2011 11:55

w1lla wrote:Why not make a so called bank;

in this bank:

TMUF players can buy coppers for like say 500 coppers for 15 euro's(it's just imaginary.)
That way nadeo gets there income everyday if players pay 15 euros.

For nations players: There is a way to buy coins, with these coins they get acces to all normal servers for like 5 euros...

That way there is a nice and easy way of getting revenue even though there are no adds.
Or nation players could pay 10 euros to buy the game and get coppers for free :3
Intel i7-920
Nvidia Geforce GTX260
4096 Mb RAM
Windows 7

w1lla
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMU, TMN, TMF
Manialink(s): intr

Post by w1lla » 27 Jan 2011 12:17

Well those solutions do not deprive the situation.

There are multiple actions to get tmuf.

But still i paid 4 years ago 40 euro's and now it's 10 euro's.

How much of the 10 euro goes directly towards the developers i gues 1 penny.

With the 40 euros there i a much better catch.

Code: Select all

tmnforever is nations and united makes it special. tmnforever has united. I need united!