Stars = Problem???

General Discussion about Trackmania Nations ESWC.

Moderator: TM-Patrol

Foolie
sunday driver
sunday driver

Stars = Problem???

Post by Foolie » 31 May 2006 19:59

Hi all

I am sending this message to say how frustating it is to do a race with people that 2 or 3 stars and in the end winning with an advance of 2 seconds or more when I am not an ultra good player (3100 points)

This is why I propose a New system:

-To get 1 star you need to be first 3 times in a row winner on a server which has at least 50 people playing

-To get your second track you need to be 4 times in a row winner on a server which has at least 50 people playing
or be 3 times winner in a row on a server which has 60 people playing

-etc...

This system will also make cheats impossible...
People who have stars now should have no problem to get them back...

All comments on this idea are welcome!!

Foolie

eyez
Pit Crew
Pit Crew

Post by eyez » 31 May 2006 20:03

Stars arent based just on skill or ability. People vote on http://www.trackmanianations.com for who they think deserves a star, weather it be for racing skill, trackbuilding skill, or contriubution to the TM community in any way. I have no problem with this system. The ladder is *supposedly* a reflection of your skill, however I feel it is far from accurate with the current system.

Foolie
sunday driver
sunday driver

Post by Foolie » 31 May 2006 20:29

Yeh perhaps

But I do know how the famous creators are and if the stars have a link with tracks and not only racing why can't we see them in TMX
But you are right and I know you can vote for some people

So if that is the case why not do 2 different stars:

-Creative stars size (this will use the actual system)

-Racing stars (this will use the system I propose)

Hope you will like that idea :wink: !!!

Foolie

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMS, TMNF, TMUF
Manialink(s): zooz

Post by Zooz » 01 Jun 2006 08:10

There are way more reasons for getting stars than that. Blahitis probably has a lot, because he is the webmaster of the Dutch TM site, and a mod here. But he's slow. And team leaders often have stars, but aren't always the fastest.
And I know enough other nice players who have stars, but are slow.
On the other hand, in TMN there are fast-ish players everywhere, if you'd give them all a star it would take away the rarity of stars, and the whole point really.

I don't think the system will change.

nespokojny
happy cruiser
happy cruiser

Post by nespokojny » 01 Jun 2006 09:12

Foolie your system wont work, because there is no problem to find some server full of newbies and win three, four, five times .... :wink:
-=The Resistance is Futile=-

Foolie
sunday driver
sunday driver

Post by Foolie » 01 Jun 2006 15:45

no nespokojny u must of not well read : u must win 3 times going on a 50 PLAYING PEOPLE server

But ZooZ is right.
But since stars are for everything (moderators, creators, nice people...) Why do we see them in a race and Why aren't they visible on sites :?:

I know that u can vote for people and they get stars but it would be good if they did a system where in

Some stars are for racers : my system

Some stars are for the rest the current system

If these stars where visible from the servers front page it would be goooooood like that we could see who is racin'

Foolie

nespokojny
happy cruiser
happy cruiser

Post by nespokojny » 01 Jun 2006 16:02

Foolie wrote:no nespokojny u must of not well read : u must win 3 times going on a 50 PLAYING PEOPLE server
i've read it right ... so one more time .... there won't be problem to find server with 50 playing newbies and win everytime u want ... :wink:
-=The Resistance is Futile=-

[ra]WiSH
cyclist
cyclist

Post by [ra]WiSH » 02 Jun 2006 05:03

Foolie, most people get stars from their friends, no one get stars for nothing. If you made some friends in trackmania world and they respect you enough to give you a star, then whats the problem? Stars=Respect. In real life who gets most respect? A fastest one or smartest one? We all respect older people (at least in my country) because they made us such as we are. Same here, when i was a newbie, there was one player, which helped me to understand TMN. And i gave him a star for this later. (Small example how do people earn stars now).
pm-team.ucoz.ru
Visit us today!

Foolie
sunday driver
sunday driver

Post by Foolie » 02 Jun 2006 15:45

Hey I know and I think your right
I help newbies to wright their name in colour and they don't give me a star :twisted:
I didn't know that you were aloud to give stars to friends :lol:
I would like a star which makes u see if there are any good racers in the server

Changing my proposition it is winning 5 times in a row on a 60 playing people server and so on...

Foolie

MistaObvious
road tourist
road tourist

Post by MistaObvious » 02 Jun 2006 16:19

While we're on the topic of stars, could someone explain the stars system? I read that I have 35 star days on TMN, but only one star shows in game and I haven't even been playing for 35 days. I've also had several people vote for me, but still just one star in game. I don't get it? How do you actually get more stars in game? Do you get a star for different reasons, but yet only once for each? Such as a star for votes, a star for racing on a 50 player server, etc., etc.? Just don't get it. LOL

BTW, other than giving you a highlite on the score screen, what's the point of stars? LOL People already put so much stock into the ladder, and then there's the stars people put so much stock into... is this not confusing to anyone else?

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol

Post by Zooz » 02 Jun 2006 17:33

MistaObvious wrote:While we're on the topic of stars, could someone explain the stars system? I read that I have 35 star days on TMN, but only one star shows in game and I haven't even been playing for 35 days. I've also had several people vote for me, but still just one star in game. I don't get it? How do you actually get more stars in game? Do you get a star for different reasons, but yet only once for each? Such as a star for votes, a star for racing on a 50 player server, etc., etc.? Just don't get it. LOL
It isn't that complicated.

-Someone puts you on their vote list. You get 1 star day per day.
-3 people put you on their vote list. You get 3 star days per day.
The amount of stars you get for X star days has something to do with the age of your account, I think.
My guess is it's something like:

(Star days you have/2) / account age in days
But that's not completely correct, it gives me 5 stars for TMN while i have 6. It must be something more complicated :P
But from what I've noticed, if you get x stardays per day you have 1/2x stars.
So if you get 10 star days per day, you have about 5 stars.

But I'm sure Nadeo knows how it works better :P

MistaObvious
road tourist
road tourist

Post by MistaObvious » 03 Jun 2006 00:23

That can't be entirely accurate. From what I've been told, I should have 4 or 5 stars/day. So by your math, I should have 2 stars, no? I got my first vote about 2 weeks ago and have a total of 35 now.

darksidex
smooth traffic navigator
smooth traffic navigator
Owned TM-games: TMN, TMU Beta

Post by darksidex » 03 Jun 2006 06:59

MistaObvious wrote:That can't be entirely accurate. From what I've been told, I should have 4 or 5 stars/day. So by your math, I should have 2 stars, no? I got my first vote about 2 weeks ago and have a total of 35 now.
He doesn't mean the total of star days

(ammount of stars days you get every day) /2

but i get 1 every day and have a star ? :?
PCL: Toshiba Tecra S2 | Intel Centrino 760 2Ghz | 1024 MB DDR2 | 60GB HDD | GeForce Go 6600 64MB | 15,4" TFT 1400x1050 | Keyboard | Win XP Pro NL SP2 | Cable 256/10.000

Former Trackmania Nations Player & Trackmania United Beta Tester

Zooz
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol

Post by Zooz » 03 Jun 2006 11:31

darksidex wrote: but i get 1 every day and have a star ? :?
Maybe you got 2 or 3 every day before.
Or maybe I just guessed wrong :P

Racemaniac
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: all
Manialink(s): racemaniac

Post by Racemaniac » 03 Jun 2006 11:54

frankly, i'd give stars to people who behave badly, annoy you (and others on the server), ask dumb questions etc.. :)

since once you got one or several stars, every server you go to you'll be plagued by questions and assumptions about those stars :). i'd use it as something to punish people with :)