TMO with Win7 (+ maybe vista?) Guide

General discussion about Trackmania Original.

Moderator: TM-Patrol

doodinthemood
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMO

TMO with Win7 (+ maybe vista?) Guide

Post by doodinthemood » 20 Jan 2011 15:43

I posted this in drabs elsewhere but I got a new computer so thought I may as well type a full guide here.

1) Click start button, right click computer, click properties, look for system type and windows edition.
2) Go here and choose the correct system type and whatever language you want, then click to download windows xp mode (should be step 2, not "virtual PC" or "PCs without Hardware Assisted Virtualization Technology") and follow all the instructions, agreeing to everything.
3) Go here and download the player. You will have to register on the site, but the product is free, and they haven't sent me any spam. The version you'll want to download will probably be the top one. Restart computer when (and if) prompted to.
4) Load up VMware player and click file, then import XP, and it should find the first file you downloaded automatically. When it's been configured, double click it on the list on the left and windows XP will load up in a small box. The first thing you'll want to do is download VMware tools. If there are any problems with this, click "virtual machine" at the top and install tools.
5) Install every and all updates until it stops asking you to. If you are ever prompted to restart the computer, click on restart. It will restart the program, not your whole computer.
6) Insert Trackmania disc and it should load automatically. If it doesn't, try looking for it in my computer. If it's not there, double click the flashing CD icon at the bottom, and then choose settings and make sure it's set to "physical disc drive" then try again.
If you have TMO, skip to step 9. If you have TMO powerup, skip to step 8, if you have the original original TM, like me, continue to step 7.
7) Install trackmania but don't play it yet, instead load internet explorer inside windows xp and go here to download a necessary patch. If it doesn't install automatically, double click the .exe file to run the patch.
8) Load up trackmania again and click check for updates, it should find one and download it.
9) Load up trackmania again and you should be prompted to enter your internet key (in seperate boxes). This is not the same as your player key.
10) Load up trackmania again and it will start configuring graphics options, and will prompt you for the other key, which you will need to enter with dashes.
11) Load up trackmania for the final time and click play... :lovetm

jamie_macdonald
TM-Patrol
TM-Patrol
Owned TM-games: TMUF, TMNF, TMS
Manialink(s): ET

Re: TMO with Win7 (+ maybe vista?) Guide

Post by jamie_macdonald » 20 Jan 2011 16:40

Nice tut. :thumbsup:

Thx for posting. ;)

Soy_el_Uno
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMO, TMUF

Post by Soy_el_Uno » 29 Jan 2011 10:58

I can perfectly play TMO on W7 without all these steps you say. Works ok. Just installed it when I changes to my new PC and no problems with W7.

Thx anyway.

Uno

doodinthemood
pedestrian
pedestrian
Owned TM-games: TMO

Post by doodinthemood » 01 Feb 2011 09:00

Interesting. I would guess it's because you have the third incarnation (called TMO, rather than just TM, which is what I have.)